Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Special people

Default Special people

These nutters are doing my head in. On talkback (yes I'm that old) there has been a conversation around banks getting rid of cheques, and the individuals who call in saying this shouldn't be allowed because it doesn't work for them.

One just now receives cheques from someone overseas, and she reciprocates with cheques and because she has a "brain injury" she can't use electronic banking, and presumably neither can the person overseas.

Now I accept this, if true, is unfortunate, but these people seriously expect the entire banking system to remain in the 19th century because THEY have special needs, and THEY consider it discrimination because THEY are special.

Yeah, there'll be some hassle for some people, but for crissakes, get over yourselves!

Rant over.

ps: this can also apply to NZ'ers (and I use that term loosely) overseas wanting to come back to NZ now and have everyone else pay for it.

Default Re: Special people

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    These nutters are doing my head in. On talkback ......these people seriously expect the entire banking system to remain in the 19th century because THEY have special needs, and THEY consider it discrimination because THEY are special.
    Husband listens to the "news" on that. 5 mins of news, then hours of raving by old people moaning about something is what it is.
    I loathe it.

Yes, some OLD people invented all the IT we have today. Many even use it. The oldest newbie customer I had was 92, he wanted a bit of help learning his way round the PC at first.

My friend was old when she first got one. Took her a while but 2 yrs later she had Facebook, was doing video chat with relatives, online shopping, all sorts.

My mum looks at her banking on her tablet app and shes 89 this year. Hasn't ever used cheques.
    She does use eftpos.

I hate these people perpetuating the myth that all OLD people are IT illiterate.......bit of a pet hate of mine.
    Ex-pctek

VoidMaster

"hours of raving by old people moaning about something is what it is"

bit like PressF1 Chat then.

I'm annoyed I won't be able to use Cheques anymore, I use them to keep track of large transactions like my Insurance and Body Corp bills at the end of each year.

I don't trust electronic transactions with large corporations, no control, if they over-charge or double-dip you are powerless.

I like to pay cash whenever possible and get a receipt.

Especially worrying when I give my bank my Income Tax number to open a new credit account and they tell me it's not valid, when I know it is.

You just can't trust these big system entities, it's all fine till something goes wrong and then it's very hard to get your money back, if you don't agree then you haven't been watching closely.

The supermarkets also rip -off and you often don't get the specials, I always check my receipts.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 13-01-2021 at 06:34 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

VoidMaster

It's not deliberate just inevitable when you have disinterested people controlling transactions involving your money.

There's always eventually going to be mistakes and you are not in the driving seat anymore because the corporates have been allowed to dictate to the customers what they will and won't allow and if there is a money saving improvement the savings don't go to the customers, I don't have to say who gets them.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old guy

There is a legitimate problem for a good many rural people in areas that do not have a good or for that matter any internet connection making internet banking an impossibility. They still need to pay and receive payments and without cheques how do you suggest they get around that problem?
    I agree that age does not make an excuse for anyone. If a person cannot understand internet banking he/she should not have a checkbook anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    There is a legitimate problem for a good many rural people in areas that do not have a good or for that matter any internet connection making internet banking an impossibility.
    You consider this when you live in or move to the rural life. If you wanna live in the wops then crap or non-existent internet is a feature. You chose it - don't moan about it.

Don't assume I'm anti-rural. When I win the big L I'm heading to the pastures!

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    I use them to keep track of large transactions like my Insurance and Body Corp bills at the end of each year.

I don't trust electronic transactions with large corporations, no control, if they over-charge or double-dip you are powerless.

I like to pay cash whenever possible and get a receipt.

You just can't trust these big system entities, it's all fine till something goes wrong and then it's very hard to get your money back, if you don't agree then you haven't been watching closely.

Nonsense. Internet banking has statements too.
    You don't have to use Direct Debit, you can pay yourself or use credit card. And CCs are safe, any disputes and the CC company refunds you.
    Ex-pctek

Computer Tech

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    You consider this when you live in or move to the rural life. If you wanna live in the wops then crap or non-existent internet is a feature. You chose it - don't moan about it.

Don't assume I'm anti-rural. When I win the big L I'm heading to the pastures!
    Yea we moved to a rural location where there is no cell coverage and no DSL on the phone line.
    Luckily we were able to get a wifi connection with a local WISP as I was going to be running my business from home!
    If that wasn't going to be possible then I would have had to get satellite internet.

Since found out that there is an old fibre cable running past our gate (been there since around 1996!) so have just recently paid a lot of money to Chorus to get us connected to it.

With satellite internet being available, and Starlink coming online this year apparently, there's no excuse really to not have internet anywhere in NZ.

VoidMaster

"there's no excuse really to not have internet anywhere in NZ"

except if you are on limited income (NZ Super) and the rip-off prices for any and all forms of internet connection in NZ.

Also if you are in a flat and then as a consequence reluctant to do transactions using the flat communal computer because of the number of people using it who may compromise the computer, ie spyware, loggers etc.

Do you then use a library computer to pay bills, I think not.

Not everyone is interested in computers in any form especially older people.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 14-01-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    except if you are on limited income (NZ Super)
    Unless you still rent, or have a mortgage it is perfectly adequate to live on you know. Even before we moved here my mum was able to save $200 a month. And she sure spends like mad at the supermarket, although we cut that a lot now.
    Ex-pctek