Default fresh format and reinstall of WIn 10

Hi,

Well I am still struggling to solve the issue in my previous post: https://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showth...l-audio-output

So I have decided the best option might be a clean reinstall of windows.
    I haven't done this for a while and some of the options have changed in WIn 10 now, so I have a few questions before I do it:
    - Does the built-in Win 10 reset option do a good enough job, or am I better to basically format C: and to a completely fresh install? If so, I assume downloading Win 10 onto USB is the best way to go about doing this?
    - I remember I should have all peripherals unplugged and then add them later after Windows has done it's thing, is this still the best way?
    - Once I have Windows up and running, I remember there used to be a preferred order to reinstall drivers, can someone please remind me? I seem to remember m/b drivers first, then reboot, then audio drivers, reboot, then graphics card dfrivers?
    - I have a SSD for C drive, D is DVD drive, but I also have 2 other physical HDD's: E was for apps and programs I didn;t want to install on C (mainly lesser used programs), and F was for data. I assume I should physically disconnect both these drives before the reinstall, and then plug them back one by one and let windows set them up?
    - Should I wipe my apps drive first, or can i easily do this when I connect it again after the reinstall?
    - Can I just keep the files and folders as they are in my data drive, and all will be OK when that drive is connected again? Or is is better to copy all those files elsewhere and format this data drive also? not sure if there are any problems with the folder/file permissions?
    - Anything I need to do about my WIn 10 licence, or should this just be automatically activated as it's reinstalled on the same hardware?

- Anything else I should be aware of before I do this?

Thanks!

PS Win 10 64 bit if that makes any difference

Default Re: fresh format and reinstall of WIn 10

I'd do a complete fresh install. The Reset option takes longer and doesn't always work. With a fresh install at least you know theres no left over damage.

1st Step Download Windows to USB using the Media creation tool.

( all links are on the following article as well as "how to do it") https://softwarekeep.com/help-center...a-bootable-usb

On the drive that has windows backup / save ANYTHING you don't want to lose as the drives going to be completely wiped.

You can go to the manufacture site for your motherboard / graphic card if you want to download any latest Drivers but generally you don't have to these days.

Just some suggestions. Once you have made the USB Bootable Drive, turn off the computer and disconnect all other Hard Drives apart from the one you want windows installed on.

Option Now --
    1. Do you want to sign in with a Microsoft account or only a Local Account ?

If you don't want to sign in with a Microsoft account then unplug the Ethernet cable, if you do want a MS Account leave it attached.

Reboot and boot to the USB drive Follow the instructions to install - When it gets to #5 in the above link select each partition 1 at a time and DELETE - You'll get warnings about deleting data systems etc just agree, once all deleted you'll have an unallocated Drive #6 (completely Empty) No need to format or create partitions it will do it automatically as you go.

When it asks for a product key, click " I don't have one" (similar wording) then select the version of Windows you had on the original, NOTE: (Make sure you select the version you have the Licence for as Home wont activate pro and reverse etc) once installed it will automatically activate as soon as it goes on the internet.

When it gets to the point of entering a log on name / email address , if you wanted a LOCAL account and DID disconnect the internet, bottom left click on " I don't have internet' - it will complain several times about missing out on features, just carry on, Enter your name - If you want a Password add it, if Not then leave it Blank.

At one stage a window will have a lot of options ( phone home crap) I turn them all off - but up to you.

Once its installed and rebooted connect the Ethernet, you'll get a pop out on the right relating to Sharing -- Up to you if you want to or not, select yes or no.

Manually Run windows updates, this will bring through drivers updates etc, do it several times until there's nothing left.

You then need to open device manager ( in search type Device Manager) look to see if any drivers are missing, if they are look to see what and install them from the manufactures Site.

Once thats all done, THEN plug back in the other existing drives, and of course you'll need to remap the Program files to the other drive you said you used.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 13-01-2021 at 08:06 AM.

That's very helpful, thanks.
    So my data drive (seperate HDD) that has all my data on it. It's currently set as the default location for My Documents, music, pics, downloads, etc etc.
    If I just disconnect it prior, and then connect it back after the reinstall, will it be fine? No issues with any ownership/permissions that might be attached to folders and files?
    If I then change the default Windows location for My Docs, music etc etc back to these same folders, does Windows just link to those folders that existed before without overwriting whats already there?
    Or, and am I better to move all this data elsewhere, then format this data drive also, then manually copy the data back afterwards?

1st thing I would do is copy all the data on the other drives to another external source. Just in case it all turns to custard, easier to do a backup which you should be doing anyway as other drives DO fail as much as the C Drive.

Then since a fresh install will have default locations you have to remap the Drives you want ( Documents, Pictures etc)

This article tells you how. https://www.dummies.com/computers/op...in-windows-10/ OR https://www.laptopmag.com/au/how-to/...ers-windows-10

The Document folder is uses as an example in one and One drive in the other.

You can do it in the Registry Editor, but its easier to screw it up by mistake.

Assuming your computer can boot into Windows 10, open the Settings app (the cog icon to the bottom-left of the Start menu), then click on Update & Security. Click on Recovery, and scroll down until you see a link for 'Learn how to start afresh with a clean installation of Windows'.
    Alternatively, you can try the 'Reset this PC' option, but we recommend using the method described here for a proper clean installation. You'll see a pop-up asking if you want to switch apps to Windows Security. Click Yes.
    Click the Get started button, and you'll see a warning describing the process and explaining all your apps will be removed. Click Next.
    After a short while, you'll see a list of the apps which will be removed. This will include everything that isn't an app that's included with Windows 10.
    Click Next and the latest version of Windows 10 will be downloaded. This can take a while if you have slow broadband, but you can continue to use your PC while the download is happening.

When that's done, you should get a notification that Windows is ready to be reinstalled. Just follow the instructions and heed the notice that your PC will reboot 2-3 times. Just make sure any USB sticks are removed from any USB ports which might cause problems at reboots.

After 20-40 minutes, Windows will be reinstalled and you'll see the login screen. Again, follow the prompts as for a new PC to choose your region, language, keyboard layout, password and the other information that Windows 10 needs before you are taken to your fresh desktop.

As this really is a clean installation, no drivers will be installed for your hardware. That isn't a problem with Windows 10, as it should be able to automatically install and configure everything automatically - so long as it can connect to the internet.

To check, click the icon to the left of the speaker (volume) icon as shown below. Your icon may look different, depending on how your PC connects to the internet and whether it is actually connected or not.
    If yours is like this, double-click on the name of the network controller to bring up the properties. Click Update Driver in the window that opens and direct it to the drivers you downloaded earlier - you may have to unzip the files if the download had a .zip file extension. And to do that just double-click on the downloaded file and choose where to extract the contents.

I hope this helps!
    Matt Henry

Thanks Matt, I already went ahead over the weekend just gone and have successfully done the reinstall. All is good so far and working well. I actually just did a other post a few seconds before this reply came in, asking about some backup options for the new installation.