Default Here’s one for you.

I’m involved in a vigorous discussion with mate’s as to whether the “Green’s” are actually a “Religion” or a “Sect”?

I have always considered them a a Religion, but there has been a few arguments, which have raised (with me). some doubt.

Try and keep things civil.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Default Re: Here’s one for you.

By Greens are you referring to the political party or to people who are concerned about the environment? either way it's a diverse group of people that could not be described as either a religion or a sect.

Religion by definition requires a deity. If you can demonstrate the greens worship a common deity and base their policies on that you could call them a religion. A sect is defined as a subset of a religion with differing beliefs but still requires belief in a deity.
    It's an overused and inaccurate way to make fun of a group whose views you disagree with in my opinion. Much of the time you would be more accurate to define them as having a belief system rather than a religion.

If someone holds a strong belief that you personally disagree with and/or resists your attempts to dissuade them that doesn't make their beliefs a religion. They probably view you the same way.
    It's similar to the way so many religious apologists insist on labelling Atheism a religion, it's a fallacy to equate belief with religion.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Old guy

More a Cult than a religion. Dugimodo covered it all very well above.

Very funny. You may disagree with their politics but they are still a political party.
    Ex-pctek

i'll throw a durve ball here and say, the way they act is like a religion.
    same basic principle's, find sheaples to convert and have them regurgitate everything they are told without questioning if its real or not.

in fact you could argue that their deity is their ideals. they most certain worship a common ideal. so they could then be called a religion.
    Tweak it till it breaks

You are just redefining what constitutes a god, I don't buy it. You could argue it, but you won't convince me with that argument.

Belief in an Ideal or anything else that is not a god is not religion. Belief in a god is religion.
    Sharing a common Ideal or belief no matter how fervently is not worship. Praying to a god is worship.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    the way they act is like a religion.
    same basic principle's, find sheaples to convert and have them regurgitate everything they are told without questioning if its real or not.
    No, thats the Trump religion.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    You are just redefining what constitutes a god, I don't buy it. You could argue it, but you won't convince me with that argument.

Belief in an Ideal or anything else that is not a god is not religion. Belief in a god is religion.
    Sharing a common Ideal or belief no matter how fervently is not worship. Praying to a god is worship.
    Well I thought I would consult Google on the matter and Google suggests you don't need a God/god.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Religion.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	10771

Google also suggests "The definition of religion is a controversial and complicated subject in religious studies with scholars failing to agree on any one definition".

Clearly, this is unclear.

Anyway, regardless of whether the "Green" Movement is a Religion, or a Sect, we are still left with an organization overrun by nutters who destroy the work and credibility of the genuine Environmentalists.

Their support for a "Fart Tax" on farmers being but just one example of their stupidity.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

The danger in talking about "the greens", is the discussion becoming about "us and them" ....... or the "star bellied sneetches" (Dr Zeuss). People who feel that way (the Greens) are on
    a wide continuum from those who always vote that way, to those who choose to vote that way because of one, or more, specific issues (and even that is simplifying the process very much).

My concern is that we see people with other views as the "others" - which has been highlighted in the States so very recently.

We are Hopefully, the "five million" - different views but united.
    Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post

Anyway, regardless of whether the "Green" Movement is a Religion, or a Sect, we are still left with an organization overrun by nutters who destroy the work and credibility of the genuine Environmentalists.

Their support for a "Fart Tax" on farmers being but just one example of their stupidity.
    i quite agree. their BS undermines the good work of real Environmentalists.

at the moment they are attacking beekeepers, trying to trash the honey industry in an effort to make them attack the govt over roundup.
    of course beekeeping industry is not big enough to have any political clout, so all they are doing is trashing a rather environmentally friendly industry.
    talk about greenies shooting themselves in the foot.
    Tweak it till it breaks