Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auckland motel?

Default Re: Auckland motel?

The shore back in the 50/60/70's used to be great for getting across to Auckland City.

Wife had a cousin in the Navy living over there and it was quite an easy trip to town.

Auckland is a pr*ck of a place in today's world, used to fly up there 3 times a year for accounting conferences, mainly to do with take-overs (6 of them) and new financial reporting.

Stayed in Hotels' where most of the meetings' were held, great being chauffer driven to airport, etc.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    The shore is a PITA to travel from
    Disclaimer: Not having lived in AKL I wouldn't dare argue with those that have ...

..but in the last 4-odd years I've done numerous trips between Takapuna and the airport for work, 2 per day both in rush hour. Never had a problem.

In fact, it has always amused me that I can get from Takapuna to the airport in less time than it takes me to get from Welly airport to home in Wainui at rush hour.

About 3 years ago I went to a funeral in AKL, drove around a lot to fill in time and not once got lost. It always amazes me why people ***** about it so much.

Maybe I just got lucky each time.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    ..but in the last 4-odd years I've done numerous trips between Takapuna and the airport for work, 2 per day both in rush hour. Never had a problem.
    In fact, it has always amused me that I can get from Takapuna to the airport in less time than it takes me to get from Welly airport to home in Wainui at rush hour.
    Can't comment on Wgtn travel times, but I never did like the place, or the motorways there.
    The thing with Auckland is that it is narrow.......it did help having the Albany motorway too, alternate way from the harbour bridge.

Going the motorway route, in peak traffic usually means driving at 5 - 30kph....in a 100kph zone. And waiting a lot.
    That's what most people hate.

I found the back way far better usually.....West to South, go down Mt Albert Rd, keep on that way and you're in Penrose in no time.
    Rather than motorway....

Likewise Albany to the shore instead of bridge.

But sometimes you get stuck with it.......or stuck in it....once on way to suppliers (Sth Ald) and I got caught....I could actually see the building, waiting, waiting, no traffic movement at all and closing was fast approaching. I couldn't even get out and walk, nowhere to leave car except in the queue which would have made things even worse....
    Ex-pctek

In the late 60's just before we moved back to Napier, I was a driver/salesman for General Foods, based at Mt Wellington (Tip Top factory) We used to leave the depot at around 7.15 am and get on the motorway within 5 minutes, then have races with other trucks into the city and environs.

As the trucks were governed to around 80K there wasn't a big difference in speed so we would usually be side by side at that speed with one of us gradually pulling ahead.....Aaah, those were the days.

Last time I went to Auckland was about February, 3 years ago. We ran into the 5Kph at Otahuhu then, all the way to Ellerslie where we were staying. Haven't been back since!

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 18-01-2021 at 07:37 AM.

I have. No issues at all even to airport...but then, there never is during school holidays.
    It's all those legless children being ferried about............
    Ex-pctek

Somewhere ......... near here....sometimes...near there too.......

Prob to late now, but

Between christmas and new we stayed in auckland, at auckland city hotel, (in the city, cbd ?) a few stories up, had to pay for parking additional, but for 2 adults and 3 kids there was 2 double beds and a flip out sofa. all in the same room, small kitchenette thing and seperate bathroom. saw nobody, heard nobody, on the 6th floor. from the front door of the hotel we could see the sky tower about a block away. We picked it on price and central to zoo and kelly tarltons. I would stay there again.
    Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.