Default Windows System Restore-Yeah Right!

I have a separate post about loss f Audio on night of 29 December.
    I had last fixed Audio through kind instructions on 17 December iI promptly created a System Restore Point at that date.
    i also created another one a few days later. When I tried to use System Restore on 29 December the only one showing was an automatic Restore Point dated 26 December.

I posted on Microsoft Community a query about what happened to my manually created System restore points of 17 December and later pre 26 December.

Below is the reply i received today.

[Frederik Long has replied to your question System Restore Points Disappear in Microsoft Community.

"Windows will routinely delete Restore Points. It will even disable this useful mechanism. Using a tool such as the free version of Macrium Reflect avoids this problem by creating images of your partition(s)."

To me this s like buying a new car with part of the deal being a 3 year warranty and when one applies under the warranty the car Sales yard says "Oh no we cancelled those warranties"

I do not recall any prior discussions from Microsoft about vastly limiting retention of System Restore points and reducing one's ability to go back.

Is the free version of Macrum Reflect as easy to use as a System Restore?

Opinions please

Thanks

Default Re: Windows System Restore-Yeah Right!

Neil F
    Thanks for the info about System Restore being virtually Useless. I tried to use Syst Restore a few weeks back and when I opened it was informed that "No Restore Points have been created on your system". Why have it if it's as good as useless!
    Macrium Relfect 7 I use to back up my System. I use it to Image the C Drive and then I do a 'Differential' Backup' every week. A Differential backup only creates an image file of the changes made in the C Drive since the Full Image was created. When doing a Restore with Macrium the Main image and all differentials' are needed to Restore your system. ( If you use the Differential backup feature) Same goes if you choose the Incremental Backup method.
    Doing the Image making takes a damn sight longer than creating a System Restore point. The entire contents of your C: (Boot) Drive are copied into the Image so depending on the size of your Boot Drive is the time it takes to create the 'Image' backup. Incremental or Differential backups don't take as long to create, But, you need to save the Backup Image to some other drive than C Drive so it can be accessed for use if/when your System goes bad. So you need a decent sized external or internal storage drive on which to save your backups. Preferably twice the size of your C Drive.
    More expense for you. Cheers MS.

Sone info and vids on using Macrium at this link.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=macriu...d9e5a77fda57c9
    Last edited by kiotimak; 03-01-2021 at 08:25 PM.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

I wouldn't be so quick to judge System Restore so harshly...and I wouldn't say it's useless. It just needs to be configured to suit your needs...

Yes restore points can and will be deleted by Windows if the amount of space restore points are consuming exceeds the usage limit set. The way it works is as more restore points are created older ones are deleted...and this is aligned to the amount of space you have reserved for restore points and their data... I believe this is set to 2% of the total drive's capacity by default - that's 2% for each drive you have system restore enabled for...

Each time you install Windows Updates, install applications or remove applications Windows will create a restore point. Restore points will also be created by Windows for any "system related" actions taken but these are mostly related to installation of updates.

Whilst I agree that one should be notified when a restore point (Especially a manually created one) is deleted, you have to remember that the whole idea behind restore points/system recovery is for the user to not have to worry about anything, other than "turning back the clock"... it was never really intended to be a "backup" tool where the restore points are used solely as "markers" for you to restore your computer to... stupid I know but as I mentioned previously, the intent behind system restore, is more about getting your computer back to the last "working state" rather than going back to a specific point in time... even though you can do that as long as you have a restore point which coincides with the "event" that "broke" your computer... and again this is dependent on how much disk space you have reserved for System Restore...

System restore is more of a "recovery tool" rather than a backup tool... again stupid I know, but we are talking about Microsoft here.

I have System Restore enabled for my OS disk but I have the max space usage set to 10% (about 48GB for my 512GB NVMe) which allows me to have approximately 2 months worth of restore points... well that's what I can see at least...
    Over and above that... I run a full backup weekly every Saturday night and an incremental backup on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday... backups are held for one month after creation at which point they are deleted automatically.

In short, System Restore and Restore points will help in a pinch and specifically if you a) just want to get back to a "last known good config" and b) you don't do a lot of application installs and uninstalls... it IS NOT a backup and restore tool but rather a recovery tool...

HTH...

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial 512GB SSD
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650W

I agree that Niel F's problem is probably the amount of space allocated
    for the restore points. Mine is always configured for 10% of drive space
    and I've never had his problem. I also backup weekly with Macrium.

Thanks Kiotimak for your support comments.
    Blanco and Chief NZ - I have long fully understood about Space allocated for system restore and I doubt that is a reason in my case . I currently have have 23% (42gb) allocated of which 21% (start point 26 December ) is allocated. The allocated includes 2 undos (i.e.,.utilising a System Restore Point). The other day (like 1 January ) I had increased it from its original 18% to the 23%.No App changes (consciously anyway).

This may be worth checking: Check Volume Shadow Copy.
    Applicable up to and including Win 7. Don't know about Win 10.

The Volume Shadow Copy utility from Windows creates backups of your Windows while in use.
    If Volume Shadow Copy is disabled, your computer’s System Restore points might not be available.

To check if Volume Shadow Copy is running or not, follow these steps:

Click Start
    Type services.msc in the Run dialog box or in the Search bar (for Windows Vista, 7 or 8)
    Press Enter to open the Services utility
    Find the Volume Shadow Copy item from the list
    Make sure Volume Shadow Copy is running: check the “Status” column corresponding to this item.
    If it’s not running, click Start the service from the left in order to start it.

I note that some users have fixed the problem by switching Off restore points protection and switching it back On.

Thanks Blanco I shall give it a try. FFYI I was unaware of such facility until your post.
    I am back on my old laptop . My Lenovo is back at Lenovo Service Dept as despite dialling in and trying Remote Assistance they could not fix the problem.
    It is like going back to a Morris Minor from a Porsche in speed terms. but I am grateful i still have some resource.

That's not what the OP was asking - copy/pasting how to do system restores is not what he was asking

(...copy/pasted from https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c03327545)

System restore IS NOT A BACKUP . Its just a QUICK tool to try for an easy fix.

Its not 100% perfect , & doesnt allways work regardless .
    Win10 does delete restore points ,especially after a major build update .
    viruses also delete restore points.

Think of it as a repair option to try before doing a recovery from backup.
    Old restore points WILL eventually be deleted. Thats how it works .

"To me this s like buying a new car with part of the deal being a 3 year warranty and when one applies under the warranty the car Sales yard says "Oh no we cancelled those warranties""
    Thats just nonsense. You are expecting a screwdriver in the toolbox to be able to fix anything on the car .