Thread: Navman

Default Navman

My old Navman, Model number MY85XLT has died.

Well the cause of death I think is the battery, which is a M1100 which is a rechargeable 3.7v Li-ion.

Now, question number 1 is who is best to deal with in NZ? Google has come up with plenty in Aus for around $11 but I donít think theyíre allowed to post batteries? Airline regulations I understand.

If I canít get a battery in NZ, or they are too dear, Iíll just buy a complete new unit.

Which leads us to what make or model is recommended?

It would have to have both Aus & NZ maps, and if it would log fishing spots, that would be a bonus, although I have never heard of of one of these of these that were useful for both marine and terrestrial navigation, even though I guess the same satellites are used for both.

So whatís your thoughts on my dilemma?
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old guy

Default Re: Navman

Google Drive works perfectly well on my Android phone at no additional cost and no requirement to pay for and download map updates.

You more than likely have seen this, its from a place in Aussie https://www.gadgetcity.com.au/navman...ry-p-2937.html In their Shipping they say "We do ship to New Zealand but post charges do apply so email us for a quote."

Just found this place, will be better if the you have the actual model number of the battery, they claim tobe in NZ. https://www.battsrus.co.nz/index.php...2a&filter_id=5

Also this place has Navman Batteries https://www.simpower.co.nz/shop/cate...gps-batteries/

If they dont have them in stock you may be able to order them.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Google Drive works perfectly well on my Android phone at no additional cost and no requirement to pay for and download map updates.
    Thanks Clive.

Iím not familiar with Google Drive at all but wouldnít it require Mobile Coverage?

If so, that is out of the question because a lot of the places I go have poor, if any Mobile Coverage, especially in Aus.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    You more than likely have seen this, its from a place in Aussie https://www.gadgetcity.com.au/navman...ry-p-2937.html In their Shipping they say "We do ship to New Zealand but post charges do apply so email us for a quote."

Just found this place, will be better if the you have the actual model number of the battery, they claim tobe in NZ. https://www.battsrus.co.nz/index.php...2a&filter_id=5

Also this place has Navman Batteries https://www.simpower.co.nz/shop/cate...gps-batteries/

If they dont have them in stock you may be able to order them.
    Thanks Wainui,

Yes I was aware of Gadget City but didn't realise they would ship to NZ.

Anyway, I've E-Mailed all of them so we'll see what they come up with.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Thanks Clive.

Iím not familiar with Google Drive at all but wouldnít it require Mobile Coverage?

If so, that is out of the question because a lot of the places I go have poor, if any Mobile Coverage, especially in Aus.
    You are correct. You can preload data if a mobile connection is patchy but that will be of little use in the back of beyond in Aus. It does however work well for me in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    You are correct. You can preload data if a mobile connection is patchy but that will be of little use in the back of beyond in Aus. It does however work well for me in NZ.
    We don't know how lucky we are with Mobile Coverage in NZ Clive.

Aus coverage in the Cities is awful along with their Satellite phone coverage.

I think the Abo's and their Didgeridoo's are still leading the way.

If you want to navigate with a smartphone which is not for everyone there are several free options to try.

Google maps which I assume is what CliveM was referring to allows you to download areas onto the phone for those times when coverage is poor or you just don't want to use mobile data, it will auto update the downloaded maps every few months as well. I have the Waikato region and SH1 up to Auckland covered on mine.
    If you don't use this feature yes it will only work with cellphone coverage, but it does buffer ahead and works quite well driving in and out of coverage as long as the dead spots aren't too big.

Other free options which work quite well:
    Navmii - uses open sourced maps (I think) which have to be pre downloaded. Does not use mobile data or need cellphone coverage but will not update the maps if you don't use it.
    Here WeGo - also needs the maps downloaded and doesn't need coverage. Some people find it buggy. Similar to Navmii

Comes down to preference with their different approaches I find. I stick with google myself because I'm used to it, but have navigated successfully with all 3
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

We changed the battery in Navman once. easy.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    We changed the battery in Navman once. easy.
    Changing the battery is dead simple.

Obtaining a new replacement is my problem at the moment.

I've had a couple of automatic reply's from possible suppliers advising they are shut until 12th Jan so I guess I'll just have to wait.