Default Diskpart list volume in Computer CMD and W10 install media CMD Prompt.

diskpart, list vol in my computers CMD shows the correct information about connected devices/drives. Booting from W10 Pro install ESD-.ISO USB and choosing 'Repair Computer/Troubleshoot/Advance options/ CMD Prompt, the same two commands used in CMD show the SSD Boot drive and the Sata HDD Storage drive their drive letters changed; the C: Boot SSD drive is given the D: drive letter and the D: Storage drive is given the C: Drive letter.
    I noticed the drive letters being incorrect when I got to the stage of having to reboot computer into W10 install media. I have W10 on a bootable USB flashdrive.
    Why would the drives letterings have been changed when using Install media, CMD Prompt?
    I was attempting to move both Program Files (x86 and 64Bit) and a couple other folders from the SSD to the HDD using the method in the below link.
    All was well until getting to the part where I had to shutdown the computer and boot into W10 Install media. I gave up when I realised the drives letters were not as they should be.

https://youtu.be/C-Z_Eh71CGw

Lengthy method and a challenge to a novice such as I, there were links for other methods but most dealt with W7, such as Linus's one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMo8krAJd5Q

or this
    https://youtu.be/h2n_l9U4KuY

In order for me to move anything from SSD to HDD I had to use Start/File Explorer/This PC/(open C: drive), highlight the Program files folder and then choose the 'Home' tab at top of Explorer window and then click the 'Move' tab, which didn't 'Move' anything it Copied it to the HDD; and It was NOT going to move the x86 Program Files folder anywhere. So, I sought another method/tutorial and got the first given URL above.

I feel the tutorial is showing how to move the folders from a fresh install of W10 on a SSD to a HDD storage drive in the computer. The Program files folders are empty.

As I said, I quit at the diskpart differences stage. (Stage 3 of the tutorial at 4 minutes into it)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DISKPART LIST VOL IN COMPUTER CMD.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	10745 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DISKPART LIST VOL IN USING W0 INSTALL MEDIA.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	10746
    I am considering fresh install W10 Pro x64 20H2 to the M.2 SSD and then attempt the moving of Program Folders to the 1TB HDD and then install programs, Games. I will also move other folders such as Docs/Pics/videos/Downloads/Browsers to the Storage HDD.
    Why the fresh install W10?? Because I think that which I have may be kinda messed up from my using Backup images that could have been damaged somewhere in the past. We won't go into any of that because it has been debated in another thread I posted recently

What would be your opinion on the two different diskpart/list vol occurrences?

Cheers in advance.
    Last edited by kiotimak; 29-12-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Default Re: Diskpart list volume in Computer CMD and W10 install media CMD Prompt.

Its a little bit hard to explain in a short version, BUT the drive letters Mainly C Will show differently if running from the OS as compared to a DVD. When booting from C it will become the Main C drive unless its been told other wise. To fully understand it you need to know about building WIM files and automated installs using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT), once you have done a few of those its really easy to understand.

As for the programs from one drive to another -- GOOD LUCK with that. It more often than not fails.

Look at the 2nd video you linked start at 4.00 - 4.10 Listen to what he says.

Default Re: Diskpart list volume in Computer CMD and W10 install media CMD Prompt.

wainuitech
    hi and thanks. Yeah I did take note of what was said in the 3rd vid about best leaving the Program Folders where they are in C drive.
    If i do the fresh W10 install, which is highly likely, because there are so many programs that I have not used for ages, they were all installed when I used an mrimg to shortcut the installing of OS and all else. I will clean install Programs/Games I want into the Storage HDD, dropping the Games Save folder in after installs.
    Cheers. I think what you said just about sums it up.
    Happy New Year.
    Last edited by kiotimak; 30-12-2020 at 12:51 AM.

On re-watching the first video I realise a mistake I made at Step 3; in the vid he doesn't shutdown com and boot into W10 install media, he is running it from open W10 he just installed.
    I could be wrong but it looks like I did something incorrectly, namely, thinking he said to shutdown and boot to Install media.
    ciao
    Nope, wrong again, he does say "Insert your Windows 10 installation media and restart"
    Last edited by kiotimak; 30-12-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Right I now have a fresh install W10 Pro x64 20H2 build 19042.631. The old system had become as sluggish as a tortoise.
    I tried the steps in this link to fix C drive and do sfc scannow and the latter failed at 4% saying it couldn't continue and the chkdsk /r took 1 hour 47 mins to complete and basically fixed nothing. I did the same chkdsk /r on christmas eve. So it was time to get shot of that system.
    I now have 440GB free space on the M.2 C Drive. As for the moving of folders to a Storage HDD, I think I give it a miss. My getting the syntax perfect for all the commands he enters will be a daunting task
    I am how going to update the new install and get Bitdefender installed and a couple other necessary apps.
    ciao 4 now.

Name:	FIXING C FINISHED.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	10752 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FIXING C DRIVE.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	10751

Name:	NEW INSTALL W10.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	10750
    Last edited by kiotimak; 30-12-2020 at 12:57 PM.

I forgot to add the link showing the steps to fix 'System Service Exception' stop code in W10. I got that BSOD Stop code when I attempted to use the Bluestacks Android Emulator and it had gotten as far as being part way into 'opening the engine'. Collecting data and restarted. It was after I worked my way through mist of the 'fixes' that I decided to wipe the Kingston A2000 M.2 NVMe SSD and start from scratch. Here's the link.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/...in-windows-10/