Thread: Oled TVs

Default Oled TVs

Hi folks.

Thinking of replacing my old Tv and am considering buying a 55in Oled Tv.
    Question, are they worth the extra money and any brand better than the other??

Your comments would be appreciated

TIA
    Smithie

Default Re: Oled TVs

go have a look in a show room.
    how good it looks to you is different to the next person.
    its surprising how many people cannot tell the difference between a budget tv and a top end one.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    go have a look in a show room.
    how good it looks to you is different to the next person.
    its surprising how many people cannot tell the difference between a budget tv and a top end one.
    This is good advice. Sometimes I cannot tell if a TV is OLED - if it is next to a non OLED and the same screen size then usually I can tell but often there is not a great difference or I may decide that the deep jet black of the OLED is not worth the extra cost.

Budget TV's may have a more narrow viewing angle and the sound may be bad (but a sound bar will make it good). The refresh rate / motion flow on budget TV's may also not be the best.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics
    are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

~ Bertrand Russell

Be aware some shops play games with the settings. A cheap TV sitting next to an expensive one looking terrible by comparison is sometimes not just down to the relative quality. I have managed to get hold of the remote and get a cheap tv a lot closer to the quality of the better tvs a couple of times. They want you to buy the expensive one.
    The other thing they do is play exceptional bright and colourful demos to make everything look good.

I like to do some online research with search terms like "best budget 55 inch TV 2020" or just "best TV brands 2020" and that sort of thing. You often find after a while a few models / brands show up in multiple top 5 lists etc.

I have a cheap Veon 40" LCD in the bedroom (it's too big but was cheaper than the smaller one) and yeah there's some light bleed around the edges and the backlight isn't the best and so on, but honestly the picture is pretty good and it represents the low end of the scale. Hard to go wrong with the big name brand TVs by comparison IMHO.
    My other TV is a 60" Samsung plasma I got a few years ago just before everyone stopped making plasma tvs, damn shame I think as the quality is great and so is the contrast and it was on the cheap end of the scale as well.

I think the high contrast TVs with better blacks such as OLED etc are better, but whether it's worth it depends on you. Do you have good eyesight or if not wear your glasses when watching TV? (I often take mine off and therefore lose any chance of noticing the difference between 4k and 1080P ), do you watch at night in a darkened room, or during the day with the curtains open, can you see your lights reflected in the screen? - sometimes a non reflective screen is more value than all the picture quality in the world (mine is glossy, I shut the curtains).

If you always watch TV in a brightly lit room the difference between black and really dark grey becomes a lot less obvious.

Just my opinions, not claiming any expertise here
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated. Some good advice there

dugimodo your comment ."A cheap TV sitting next to an expensive one looking terrible by comparison is sometimes not just down to the relative quality" I think is true in some cases and I must remember that when viewing them in the showroom.

Smithie