Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Macrium Reflect 7 Backup in 2 parts, both useless.

I got the SATA HDD to show up. I changed to a 1TB HDD, it didn't show in Disk Management. I checked Device Manager IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers and they showed Standard SATA AHCI Controller so SATA is enabled in UEFI/BIOS. I then googled why the Gbyte AB350M-D3H was not showing up and this was great link.... I was using an ASATA port and they cannot be used when an M.2 SSD is installed as C Drive. So I shifted the SATA DATA cable to a MB port that was not ASATA, rebooted and it shows up. It has data on it, probably a w7 Pro OS and programs etc. I could format it and use for Storage/installing Games/Progs etc.................. after I do a fresh instal W10 as mentioned above.
    https://www.nextofwindows.com/why-ha...0m-motherboard
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SATA DETECTED_USED WRONG PORT BEFORE.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	10723

Nope. The SATA HDD is as good as empty. I will wipe it to unallocated space and create an NTFS Partition.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SATA DRIVE IS EMPTY ALMOST.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	10724
    Last edited by kiotimak; 23-12-2020 at 10:24 PM.

Am seriously considering deleting all on the Intel 660P M.2 SSD and reinstalling fresh W10 20H2. Reason being as I said I don't like all those partitions and the doubling up of the Recovery partition. From what I gather, W10 installed on an M.2 SSD should have 4 Partitions: 3 for a Legacy system, and 4 for a UEFI system. The MSR Partition is hidden in Disk management so it should have 3 visible Partitions: (C Boot, Page File,Crash Dump,Basic Data Partition. (Disc 1 partition 1) recovery partition. (Disc 1 partition 2) EFI System Partition. And the hidden MSR partition.
    I think the OS and system became corrupted when I installed a Macrium Backup in WinPE boot mode onto the Intel SSD. The backup image was on an external HDD and Macrium Reflect 7 Free was installed in the Intel SSD so I was installing new W10 Backup and wiping out the existing W10 on the SSD. But I think it became hybrid. Also it was meant to be GPT and show as Disk 0, not Disk 1 and in Easeus Partition Master the Intel shows as Disk 1: Basic GPT.
    Reasons I think it became hybrid are the number of partitions but mostly because of this: I had installed the Macrium Workstation app and tried to backup the Intel SSD and it failed, 5 times. "Unknown"Error Code =9. Googled that error code 9 and found good article that explained that Workstation needed to be updated to v6.3.1865, so I updated the app.

https://forum.macrium.com/28898/Unkn...r-Error-code-9

Started a backup and it failed very quickly but at least it gave a reason: "MFT Corrupt-Error code =6. Please run CHKDSK C: /r
    I ran the chkdsk C: /r and it 'fixed C Drive' and after completed I again started imaging the Intel SSD and it did so in 44 minutes.
    Even though there are no problems using the Intel SSD, it seems to be working well but after all said and done I think it be best to wipe clean the Intel SSD and start Fresh Installs of OS, AV and maybe instal Games/Programs to the 1TB SATA3 HDD ( I could use a 2TB as well.... one solely for backups)

Name:	MFT CORRUPT_RUN CHKDSK D _ R.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	10725 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BACKUP STARTED AFTER FIXING C DRIVE..jpg 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	10726 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BACKUP COMPLETED.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	10727
    Last edited by kiotimak; 24-12-2020 at 01:30 PM.

Blimey you have some problems. Not to sure why, but it may be something you are doing or fiddling with ( Eg Taking shortcuts or using damaged images).

Here is what a fresh install of W10 Shows in Macrium.

Ignore partition D (Various) I installed a Fresh version of W10 Insider as the original drive was on its last legs, it was only a 500GB drive, imaged it to save (fresh install) then put back onto a 1TB drive. And created a another partition instead of enlarging C drive.

The 4 Std Partitions.

Name:	Fresh Install.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	10728

The reason I say before about "Eg Taking shortcuts or using damaged images" A std install wont put in unallocated spaces like you pictured.

wainuitech
    hi. Thanks for the pic of what fresh install of W10 created partitions should show. The image I used on the Intel SSD was the image I made of the Kingston A2000 M.2 NVMe that I have in the Asus Rig. It is that image that I used to restore and overwrite the W10 Pro that was on the Intel M.2 SSD, overwrite? Used Macrium to restore the image and in the process wipeout/replace the W10 with that contained in the Image. Using WinPE boot mode to do the replace/install of W10 Pro x64 v20H2.
    The images could be damaged and when I have completed the fresh install of W10 Pro x64 v20H2 along with Bitdefender and a few other necessary programs I will image the New System and do away with all previous .mrimgs. I will do the Full image first and then set schedule to do weekly differential backups.
    I didn't really need to do the backup today because I already had one made yesterday and all I really needed was to copy the Sniper Elite 4 Game Save folder to storage drive and drop it back into the User/AppDAta/Local/Sniper Elite 4 folder.
    Anyways, I am about to start the wipeout of the Intel's contents and start the fresh install of W10. Yesterday I DL'd a new W10 .ISO using MediaCreation Tool and as I don't have a black, dual layer DVD to burn to I will use Rufus and a 32GB USB3 to make a bootable drive of the W10 OS.
    Yeah, all those higgeldy-piggeldy partitions are a mindbender for sure. And I don't take shortcuts because they make long delays. But I did take a shortcut: I used an .mrimg to make a relatively new W10 Install fully the same as the one I have on the other Asus computer. I am going to check what the Partitions are in that Kingston A2000 M.2. That will answer a few questions I have.
    As for the unallocated space I will probably get after the Fresh install, I don't think I will be extended the C: partition by the amount of unallocated space. I have a bad memory of doing that about 8-10 year ago. I had fresh installed W7 Pro to an HDD and about 100GB of unallocated space preceded the 3 Partitions of the OS. So, I decided to use Easeus Partition Manager Home version to move everything to the Left into the unallocated Space ...... it never booted again. The MBR had been scrambled.
    Such is life.
    Thanks for you advice and help.
    Cheers

Off to create the bootable USB of W10
    What can possibly go wrong? That's not a question .
    Last edited by kiotimak; 24-12-2020 at 07:34 PM.

A pic of the Asus System W10 OS. Qnly 2 OS Partitions, no Recovery Partition and 2 Unallocated Space partitions.
    Might have to start afresh here also. Using damaged images is beginning to knock a bit louder.

Name:	ASUS SYSTEM. NO RECOVERY PARTITION AND 2 UNALLOCATED SPACE PARTITIONS.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	10732

Ok here I go deleting existing OS etc and installing Fresh W10 to the Intel 660P M.2
    Ciao 4 now
    Last edited by kiotimak; 24-12-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Install W10 Pro took 1 minute, then the hour grew long as I had to go through the Setting Up and letting Windows 'Work its Magic', then, the first trouble started. Linking devices/Skype all that palaver that I use none of, THEN I had to Sign into my MS Account. Well now the fun began.. remember all the !@#$ I had months ago about MS Accounts and Passwords being wrong and I got PCUnlocker and removed ALL passwords making Local Accounts. Well, Windows wanted me to log into my MS Account. I entered my email and then it wanted Password. No way, Jose! Eventually had to get a reset code sent to my email which meant booting other computer to get into my email to get the Code! Great stuff. Good to have two computers because I couldn't get the Code in the computer that wanted it
    At last, I get to use the computer and have here a couple of Pics.... one shows the Disk management and the 3 Partitions looking good....BUT!!!!!..... what the hell are all the Icons/Folders etc doing on Desktop???? I used a NEW W10 .ISO sent to USB using Rufus. Had NO drives apart from the Intel 660P M.2 connected to the computer and the USB Drive with W10 Install files on it. I wiped/deleted all Partitions on the Intel M.2 so I only had Unallocated Space and installed to that.
    So I am stunned that I get a NEW Installation of W10 Pro and it has a Desktop with Pics/files/folders on it!! How can that possibly happen? Some of the files are dated 18months ago. Gobsmacked I am. I beginning to think I am cursed.
    Cop a load of these pics of my lovely Brand New W10 Pro installation. Great huh Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Name:	FRESH INSTALL W10 PRO MY BUTT.jpg 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	10734 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHERE THE HELL HAS ALL THIS COME FROM TO BE THERE IN FRESH W10 INSTALL.jpg 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	10735

Might be time I slung me hooks.
    Last edited by kiotimak; 24-12-2020 at 10:22 PM.

VoidMaster

wainuitech has told you/us before how to do an install without using an MS Password, that you have identified yourself to MS (your email) means that you probably have files and folders you uploaded to the cloud sometime in the past and MS is helping you lol.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you all. Stay Safe.
    Oh and Santa, Coal would have not burned as much as that sack of @#$$^ ya sent me early. Cheers, Big ears. Yer cards marked.

zqwerty After the install I tried the options to Skip this for now but it kept wanting it. And No I have never uploaded anything to MS Cloud.... MediaFire only. I refused the option to have OneDrive so yeah, MS being REAL @#$%^^& helpful! I download a New W10 ISO and the courteous MS has sent me a Specially for ME version containing all my data on a hard drive that I wiped over a year ago. The mind boggles.
    Makes me wonder exactly what MS are up to...... supply us with a Op Sys to use... and it could seem that they are Right HERE in MY Lounge, Gathering every scrap of info about me they can. My Monitor is really a Camera and they watch me ALL DAY and Night!
    Could be.
    Cheers zqwerty. Have a nice evening. I gonna crack a nice bottle of Red vino and relax. Using my Asus Rig now.
    ciao
    Last edited by kiotimak; 24-12-2020 at 10:52 PM.

zqwerty
    you are correct. All that desktop is in OneDrive. I was going to DL a new W10 using MediaCreation Tool but do it saving to USB drive and wipe the Intel SSD and reinstall W10 pro. Decided to do some checking of the ESD USB to see what was on it and found nothing other then the W10 install files. The installed version of W10 is Pro x64 v20H2 build 19042.631............. Space used is 25GB which is about right for W10x64.
    After further investigation and finding desktop is all in OneDrive I decided to Uninstall Onedrive using Control Panel/Programs and Features. After that was uninstalled some empty folders and a few files remained on desktop which I deleted and now have only Recycle Bin and Edge icons. Oh Happy day

Name:	C DRIVE BOTH PROGRAM FILES. DESKTOP IS ALL IN ONE DRIVE..jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	10736 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FILES BACK TO MARCH 2019, THERE ARE SOME DATED FEB 2019.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	10737 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UNINSTALL ONEDRIVE.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	10738 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UNINSTALLED ONE DRIVE AND IT LEFT ALL THIS ON DESKTOP. I WILL DELETE ALL.jpg 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	10739 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MERRY XMAS.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	10740