Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Burning head from anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    My anxiety issues gave me the shakes. I was given a very, very short course of Clonazepam, which was wonderful stuff. It seems it has potential for abuse (recreational), as it was like having a couple of beers under your belt. To this day I still think it'd be 'fun' to have an ongoing supply of the stuff.
    Caffeine was adding to my issues, so that had to be reduced. My hours and the pace of the work were cut for quite some time while I got myself settled (many thanks to my employers for their understanding and tolerance). Adjusting my whole attitude to the job also helped.
    Little changes like getting out of bed an hour earlier allowed me to take a more relaxed journey through breakfast, showering, toiletting and the drive into work, rather than it being a race against the clock every day.

I've now 'retired' from that work, and with hindsight I now recognise that as someone deep on the introvert scale I was not properly suited to a job that involved dealing with a steady stream of people... I could do the work, but it was draining to my psyche.

If you don't financially need to work fulltime, then reduce your hours... you're trading your life, your freedom and your health for money you might not need.

And this bit of advise I give to everyone... if you are living/working in Auckland - get out! Move! Relocate to a sane part of the country where your commute to and from work is no more than 10 minutes each way.

True enough, I hope this one helps you too! - https://adaa.org/learn-from-us/from-...ion-strategies

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    (many thanks to my employers for their understanding and tolerance)..
    You were very lucky.
    One place I worked at had serious ongoing issues with staff burnout & stress induced illness .
    managements attitude was " he's lucky to have a job to come back to" . I actually heard them say that .

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Meditate on the ideas of "I think therefore I am" and "If a tree falls over in a forest and there isn't anyone nearby does the tree falling make a sound?"
    Or, "You know the sound of two hands clapping. What is the sound of one hand clapping?"

I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

That is a funny quote, but you are right. haha

I can't help with anxiety, what I would say is talk to a doctor if you haven't rather than just ask the internet. No harm in trying a lot of suggestions and seeing if they work for you but for serious issues at least one of those opinions should come from a professional.
    Also make sure any medical conditions you have are medically diagnosed and not self diagnosed from the internet, it's really easy to get things wrong.

Of course these are just my opinions and others here probably disagree, I know doctors often get it wrong and there are many horror stories as a result. The thing is though they have years of intensive study and experience behind them and are far more qualified than random people on the internet.
    For every horror story out there about how someone was failed by the medical profession there are likely thousands of people helped successfully (I don't have numbers to back this up, hence the likely).

If you have concerns about certain medications and their effects, bring that up too. It's a legitimate concern and doctors can surprise you. Mine pointed me to a cheap chinese massage place for shoulder pain, unexpected and effective.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

You are doing the right thing, I have indeed trued meditating, atleast 3-4x a week. And eat green. How did your diet change

That is true, meditation helped me somewhow in different ways. I am just to do it once a week with yoga in it. So far it is kinda working. How about u?

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Meditate on the ideas of "I think therefore I am" and "If a tree falls over in a forest and there isn't anyone nearby does the tree falling make a sound?"
    What an interesting take on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    The thing is though they have years of intensive study and experience behind them and are far more qualified than random people on the internet.
    For every horror story out there about how someone was failed by the medical profession there are likely thousands of people helped successfully (I don't have numbers to back this up, hence the likely).
    Yes they do. But part of it is the way they are trained, esp in surgery as an instance, senior guy teaches newbie, his ideas, techniques and procedures. Testing of such happens rarely.

This is backed up in numerous non fiction medical books written by various medical professional I have read.
    And...........they're over worked.
    GPs and hospital docs.

Case in point, friends sister currently in hospital. Since before Xmas she has had bowel bleeding, severe. Symptoms progressed, bloating, immense pain, lymph nodes up, all of them, then 12 days ago nothing was coming out.
    First GP had referred her but "outpatients shut till Jan `8th" was the response. (WtF?)

Second GP (as first moved) variously told her to not eat beans (she doesn't), she's fat (yes she is, and?) and it's nothing.
    After hours sent her to hospital.
    Hospital did xray, major blockage, skip other tests and surgery required to clear out and see what/why.
    But.
    Shes been there since Sunday, while they attend to emergencies.............and have done nothing.

Now I looked it up...it's a bit of an emergency itself....can lead to bowel death, peritonitis etc.....after less than 12 days.

Bit like another friend who languished in a hospital bed for 5 days while they tried to drag her up, telling her it was all in her head etc...until day 6 new doc does a scan and found she had 6 rips in her aorta.....sigh....
    Ex-pctek

I have never had the sensation of burning head with anxiety, however there were lots of other symptoms. If you are still teaching - I notice that you posted this towards the end of the summer break. When I was teaching in a tertiary institution, the last two weeks of summer "vacation" - ie the period before students came back - was a very fertile time for anxiety. Mainly of the "wake up at 3am and can't get back to sleep for the next two/three hours variety"; stomach churning, sweaty kind of anxiety. My wife was a secondary teacher, and despite seeming very calm on the outside, had a similar kind of anxiety before first term began.

If you are no longer teaching, ignore the foregoing. However, like others I found recreation helped a great deal. Tramping, Waitakere day walks, road cycling, swimming, and crewing on other peoples' yachts after I sold my sailing dinghy. Anything that breaks the awful anxiety cycle, where you get into catastrophising; thinking and churning over worst case scenarios that will probably never happen.

My way of handling it was physical recreation, whereas others on here are suggesting things like meditation etc. I think they all assist you to get out of the anxiety spiral - just do whatever blows your skirt up. Nothing is useful unless you choose it to fit with your interests, tastes and capabilities - ie there is not much point in taking up an interest that makes you more anxious like rock climbing, mountaineering, opera singing, or acting!

Good luck; anxiety is a bugger, but remember, dementia is worse (just to make you anxious!).