Default Computer has Covid !!

Hi all ...

Been a long time since I've been on the forum, but could do with some help sorting out a couple of little problems with my old computer. It has a Gigy H170 mobo, i5 CPU, 16GB RAM, 2 x 1TB WD HDD's, one of which has the fantastic Win 10 OS, the other was a storage drive which has suddenly become FUBAR ... all files are now .RAW and don't know whether I'm able to get them back.

Also had problems with email, Word .doxs (password protected) not opening with correct password, not able to "sleep", and Task Manager is howing a lot of processes running, some of which seem to be duplicated.

I'm running ESET as main security and scanned with most of the common anti-everythings, e.g. Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, CCleaner etc., but nothing has been found that explains what's going on. I'm not sure whether there's a problem with the last windows update, but I have read that there have been some issues and wonder if anyone can offer any assistance or possible recommendations for other anti-everything apps ... I'm about 9 months behind the latest & greatest.

I was about ready to put a little SSD HD into the POS, but now waiting to see if I can sort these problems out first. Any help appreciated ...

Default Re: Computer has Covid !!

Forgot to say that it often starts a disc check when turned on ... backed up all documents, but wondering whether this is an indication of the last HD with OS on it starting to fail. It doesn't actually do a check desk but disappears after the "press any key within x seconds" ... without pressing any key.

Then do a proper scan of the drive. Using the manufacturer test software.
    Ex-pctek

Could do a scan of your disks with Hard Disk Sentinel https://www.hdsentinel.com/

Wise to do a back up if you all ready have not done also search Reliability (bottom left)

If you go with another hard Drive ,go for a M2 Drive ,picked up a 970 EVO Plus 250Gb for $75 Black Friday Deal PB Tech recently

Peroska ... Good thinking !!

Lawrence ... Backed up and have the same SSD HD as you waiting install, just thought I'd better get some of the problems I'm having now sorted out before going ahead with it.

Do a clean install of Win10 on the new SSD . That will(should) eliminate many of the issues you had
    You can then get your data off a backup or off the old drive that still works

download win10 here
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

OK ... Did a scan on both HDD's with Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics on Extended Test and everything checked out OK.

1101 ... that was my intention, but I wasn't sure whether I may drag something nasty from the old drive to the new SSD and I'm just trying to find out whether it's possible to recover anything from the HD that's turned all the file extensions on it to .raw ... tells me it's got 0 bytes available and I have to format it before I can use it.

I haven't been keeping up with things due to some health problems and can't remember how to do a lot of things I use to be able to do blind-folded ...

.raw file extension

https://www.bing.com/search?q=files+...150A6C3199B45C

Have you tried System Restore?

kiotimak ... not yet, but thanks for the link.

It seems there are quite a few different methods to try and change things back to what they were, just got to figure out my best option and lessen the risk of loosing quite a few files I haven't got backed up !

And yes ... I can hear you all laughing ... first rule of computing ... backup, backup, backup, backup ... So I had another one of my "senior moments", your turn will come soon enough.

Now what was I doing ...