Default If you're interested in trains don't bother watching this programme.

I am a train enthusiast so when I saw, in the tv guide, a programme entitled "Around the World by Train" on early Sunday afternoon, I thought that sounds good.

It said, "Today, Tony Robinson is in Europe." So I tuned in only to find that the host was more interested in the hofbrauhaus (the German equivalent of the pub) than the trains. I thought that that was just the beginning so I continued to watch, only to be disappointed as it was more of a European travelogue than much about trains. I won't bother tuning into that again. What a disappointment.

So if you like travelogues that may be for you, but if you are a train enthusiast - forget it!
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: If you're interested in trains don't bother watching this programme.

Yes I've found that as well. Railroad Alaska is one of the worst . Half the program on trains the other half on people living off the grid with random trains that change loco types and consist makeup from scene to scene and lots of voice over drama.

Seems to be a trend with the "rail" travelogs.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Default Re: If you're interested in trains don't bother watching this programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    So I tuned in only to find that the host was more interested in the hofbrauhaus (the German equivalent of the pub) than the trains.
    Well I can understand that. Good choice.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Bleakly Optomistic

Slightly off topic, but I miss the days when the North Island Train was A: Affordable, and B: stopped at pretty much every town on the way. You used to be able to buy a one week explorer pass in it, so you could get off at any small town you felt like, stay the night at a local pub/hotel, and see the parts of NZ you don't usually get a chance to and repeat the next day.

I agree, SWMBO's dad was an engine driver with NZR. His last couple of years was spent driving the Napier to Gisborne railcar before retiring in the late 60's. He told me that people waited anywhere beside the line and he would pick them up. SWMBO tells me he would stop when on the steam goods train songs, the fireman and guard could gather mushrooms.

His saddest sight he told me was when he drove the engine that took the big steam crane up to Tangiwai on Boxing Day 1953. He took his camera and got a few photos of the wreckage in the river.

Ken