Default Home Router DHCP Server Setup

I have a old Netgear DSL modem router combo which is about 10 years old on which i changed the default router IP to be

I also ran same router as DHCP server with pool range 10.1.10.1 - 10.1.10.254 with few DHCP reservations in that range for some of my home machines.
    This worked with no problems.

I got a new Netgear Router now and tried to do same config but got error "Invalid Data. Lan IP can not be in DHCP pool range!"

Is this something new with NetGear router or any home routers in general or has always been the case?

Default Re: Home Router DHCP Server Setup

Honestly, I'd have never even thought to set the DHCP server's LAN address inside its pool range, so that restriction does make sense. However, I can also see that it wouldn't be that hard to write a DHCP server that allowed your scenario, because the server always should actually test for IP address conflicts when allocating from the pool, even for is own address.

Quote Originally Posted by MushHead View Post
    Honestly, I'd have never even thought to set the DHCP server's LAN address inside its pool range, so that restriction does make sense. However, I can also see that it wouldn't be that hard to write a DHCP server that allowed your scenario, because the server always should actually test for IP address conflicts when allocating from the pool, even for is own address.
    Thanks, I agree it should be able to do a check before allocating. Maybe new home modem /routers dont allow that anymore

I would have probably not done that kind of setup years ago if I was aware of these restrictions. Only reason I tried to do same IP setup on new Router is I had setup a Win Server recently which is a Domain controller and running as a DNS server also, with its IP being 10.1.10.1

Now with this new router complaining, not permitting DHCP LAN IP assignment in the range I need to give up 10.1.10.1 IP to it, which means my DC and DNS server would be re IP'd
    And I was trying to avoid re IP since I am not familiar with Windows Server - DNS and DC config....Just enough to use it with 'out of the box' install settings.

Since my post I took the chance, gave up 10.1.10.1 to router and re IPd DC and DNS server and now all my home machines cant get DNS resolution from it.
    Now it will be a PIA to google and figure out how to fix it =\
    Last edited by learning; 13-12-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Set your router to 10.1.10.254 and trim back your dhcp pool.
    Gathering of the storm
    And the winds are blowing wild
    Sweeping over cross and creed, country, colour and child