Question Cable for PCI Express card

There is a 4 pin plug on this PCIe USB card Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCIE USB card.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	10672 - what is it for - what does it connect? What is the name of the cable that connects it? I do not have this PCIe card but might have to buy it, depending on the answer to be problem below.

The reason I am asking is that I have installed this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCIE USB card 19 pin.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	1067319-pin PCIe USB card and while the two rear USB ports do work, the 19-pin cable that has a panel (for front of case) with 2 USB ports does not work at all. However the 19-pin USB card (the white one in the pic) does also have the 4 pin plug so I am wondering if that could be connected to a new cable with front panel ports?

Thanks

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics
    are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

~ Bertrand Russell

Default Re: Cable for PCI Express card

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer View Post
    There is a 4 pin plug on this PCIe USB card Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCIE USB card.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	10672 - what is it for - what does it connect?

Similar one says:

1 USB 3.0 express card (with 4-pin power connector) 1 CD Driver 1 4 Pin DC power to SATA Power Convertor Cable 1 User Manual

This PCI-E card is powered by a 5V 4 pin power connector or sata 15 pin power connector. Please confirm that your computer power supply is equipped with a 5V 4 pin power connector plug or sata 15 pin power connector before purchasing. This is necessary to ensure sufficient power supply and smooth transfers, particularly for large data transfers from hard drive disks (3TB or above).
    Ex-pctek

The plug (4 pin) looks like a Molex connector. Pretty much all Power Supplies come with them as standard.

The plug on your Power Supply should look like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Molex plug.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	10674

They will only go in one way, the corners are chamfered on one side.

Thanks wainuitech and piroska. Yes my PS has a spare 4 pin power connector - in fact there are several. I should have known what the 4 pin plug on the card was for - a brain fade - it seems so obvious now.

So I shut down the PC, unplugged the 240 v from the case, and plugged in the 4 pin power cable. Rebooted smoothly and now the 2 ports on the panel work - sweet!

To clarify, the first pic that I posted is not what I have in my PC - I just chose that because it shows the 4 pin plug on the PCIe board. The second pic with the 19 pin connector is what I have working now.

Thanks again, much appreciated. I have learned so much on PF1, nice! Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Similar one says:

1 USB 3.0 express card (with 4-pin power connector) 1 CD Driver 1 4 Pin DC power to SATA Power Convertor Cable 1 User Manual

This PCI-E card is powered by a 5V 4 pin power connector or sata 15 pin power connector. Please confirm that your computer power supply is equipped with a 5V 4 pin power connector plug or sata 15 pin power connector before purchasing. This is necessary to ensure sufficient power supply and smooth transfers, particularly for large data transfers from hard drive disks (3TB or above).

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics
    are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

~ Bertrand Russell