Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Accessing reboot options

I want to reboot my Toshiba Tecra M10 with a Windows installation cd but can't get into the reboot options. I've tried F2, F8 and F12 when starting up but no result. I need a password to start and this could be a problem as I have to enter it to start and again after a screen comes up. Then Windows opens but not the options screen. Help appreciated.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Default Re: Accessing reboot options

Are you referring to the BIOS Screen?

To get the boot options for Windows 10;

Got to Start----->Power----->Restart (hold the left shift key down when you click Restart)

This will take you into the boot options on restart, From the given Options select Advanced options----->UEFI Firmware Settings----->Click restart on the screen which says Restart to Change UEFI firmware settings.
    If your BIOS is password protected then you will be prompted to enter the password.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial 512GB SSD
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650W

I am so sorry to hear about what happened, If I were you I will bring it to the technician.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post

Got to Start----->Power----->Restart (hold the left shift key down when you click Restart)

This will take you into the boot options on restart, From the given Options select Advanced options----->UEFI Firmware Settings----->Click restart on the screen which says Restart to Change UEFI firmware settings.
    If your BIOS is password protected then you will be prompted to enter the password.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Thank you. Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

I got as far as Advanced Options and UEFI Firmware Settings was missing. I see on Google that this happens on many motherboards. Fixing the problem is quite complicated so I wonder if there is another simpler way to access the Boot menu so I can reboot from the Windows installation disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Krad View Post
    I got as far as Advanced Options and UEFI Firmware Settings was missing. I see on Google that this happens on many motherboards. Fixing the problem is quite complicated so I wonder if there is another simpler way to access the Boot menu so I can reboot from the Windows installation disc.
    Toshibas are fun ( pun intended) some will boot from a DVD fine others its pot luck esp if older the optical drives don't work / allow to be booted from. Had a Couple where having to plug in an external DVD Drive and boot from that.

The Interesting bit is not all Toshibas use the same boot keys, For the BIOS, most keep pressing the F2 or F12 instantly after power, wait a few seconds and you are to late. ESP if yo have a SSD Drive. Boot Menu F12 - Some have that option disabled in the BIOS so you need to go in find it and set it to on.

Other options https://techjourney.net/ways-to-ente...llite-portege/

What you do is once in the BIOS go to Boot - make sure the 1st Boot option is your DVD Drive.

Since you are wanting to Boot From the Windows DVD, for what purpose ? (there's a reason for asking that).
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-12-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks for your input - the best as always.

It's a long story. This old Toshiba was fine with earlier Windows versions but Windows 10 has slowed it down to funeral pace. I just want to use it to play back music through a TV and I don't want to waste money on it. So I thought I could reinstall Win XP which used to work fine. Now I have the problem of trying to get into the Boot Options so I can activate the installation disc on start up.

Regards

It's a long story. This old Toshiba was fine with earlier Windows versions but Windows 10 has slowed it down to funeral pace. I just want to use it to play back music through a TV and I don't want to waste money on it. So I thought I could reinstall Win XP which used to work fine. Now I have the problem of trying to get into the Boot Options so I can activate the installation disc on start up.

Regards
    Cheap but simple solution. Sounds a LOT like the old Toshiba I have for BBQ's or playing Music Outside, so old the battery wont work even with new one, so just plug in mains power always with no battery, used to be slower than a wet week, literally took 8-10 minutes to start from off.

Purchased a Cheap 256GB SSD ( Cheaper for me as I get them Wholesale ) ADATA SU630 Ultimate SATA 3 2.5" 3D NAND QLC SSD 240GB

Some on Pricespy. https://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?pu=5005193

Then Using Macrium Reflect Made an Image to an external Drive, put in the SSD, booted from the Macrium CD, dropped the image back, after a couple of restarts to settle, Now starts fully up and going within 20 Seconds, and runs so much better.

The Problems Also with XP unless its a factory restore Disc (pre activated) you may have problems activating it. Tried that the other week on a project I was playing about with - gave up in the end, even the ph activation wouldn't work.

. I just want to use it to play back music through a TV and I don't want to waste money on it.
    There are some linux distros designed for exactly that . Of course you have to get it to boot off a CD first

"reinstall Win XP which used to work fine"
    If its an old XP laptop , it may not boot off USB
    Also, an XP era laptop wont have UEFI boot options
    Last edited by 1101; 10-12-2020 at 08:41 AM.

this may help , its the official how to get into the bios
    You may need many attempts , hammering away on F2 or esc etc

https://support.dynabook.com/support...il?soid=627009

this is older but may help
    https://support.dynabook.com/support...il?soid=403623