Default Updating/Upgrading Windows10 from v1903 to v20H2... Can be done?

Hi,
    I have just used a Macrium Image of W10 to a Samsung Evo 860 SSD and its fine. Only problem is it is old backup I made when a Corsair MP300 M2 NVMe drive I had failed to boot. So wainuitech suggested I create a backup of the SSD using Macrium and viBoot. I did and the image opened & played well in Virtual Drive/display. That was about 12 month ago. I installed it and it was fine.
    The W10 I now have on the Samsung SSD is v 1903 (build unknown because I am running another SSD with W10 v20H2 Build19042.630.
    I have the ISO of W10 v20H2 Build19042.630. and would like to know if I can simply upgrade the W10 1903 directly to W10 20H2. Reason being is that in the W10 v1903 Windows Updates there are a stack of updates awaiting download and install. One of the updates is to W10 v1909 and 1903...and AMD. To me that seems a lot of time downloading installing updates that may not be necessary because when W10 v 1909 is installed then I will have to download/install v20H2.
    So, can I go from v1903 to v20H2 in one smooth transition?
    Without losing any Apps/Programs etc etc if I do the One small step, man, one Giant leap for mine-kind?

Cheers

kioti

attached is a pic of the Pending UpdatesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	UPDATES.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	10604
    Last edited by kioti; 29-11-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Default Re: Updating/Upgrading Windows10 from v1903 to v20H2... Can be done?

Done it several times, Even though I have the ISO already, I just use the media Creation Tool, bypasses the updates and only brings through any that are required first.

Just go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 Update now, it may download the Tool then run, or being an older version it may also give the option to upgrade Now. (it gives that option usually if upgrading a W7 to 10)

Getting in 1st here Dont try doing anything "Fancy" just use a Std upgrade as it wants.

Re the Programs -- Depends, if there are any that are not compatible they will be removed. Eg: a too old version of Ccleaner.

Edited: The only foreseeable Possible problem -- AMD -- But AMD have finally caught up with most Problems, if its not compatible it should stop you from upgrading.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 29-11-2020 at 03:25 PM.

wainuitech

hi.... I have a recollection of having done a direct update from W10 v1909 to v2004 when 2004 became available.
    Yep nothing fancy. Click to Update now from the link you supplied.
    I could DDU the AMD Drivers, though that also uninstals the RX Vega 11 Graphics driver for the Ryzen 5, 2400G leaving the APU to use the MS Basic driver. I can DL and install the RX Vega 11 driver after that upgrade completes.
    I could also uninstall the C Cleaner, Team Viewer ( I changed to another Remote Access Client because TeamV app was popping up notifications stating that the remote desktop was being used for commercial purposes and required a Pro version) I don't connect remotely now. I think I outed TV for Cloudberry. I could always use the inbuilt Windows Remote Desktop if needs be.
    I installed my Bitdefender Total Security 2020 on the Samsung Evo 860 SSD that has the old version of W10 Pro v 1903 on it. Removed the Comodo IS .

I will do the clearing out of old apps/progs etc and then go for the Update to latest Version of W10 Pro.

Cheers

kioti

a couple of pics of the installed W10Pro v 1903 (as it was before Macrium Reflect 7 was installed) and a pic of the webpage your link opened for me to use.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DOESN'T SHOW MACRIUM INSTALLED. MAYBE BECAUSE I HAD IT INSATLLED TO D DRIVE SO I COULD IMAGE C  .jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	10609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MACRIUM viBOOT  of image created on 6th Sept 2020.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	10610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W10 UPDATE DIRECT.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	10608

Re the Remote --- Haven't used team Viewer in over two years now.

With W10 I just use the inbuilt, easy to setup and every W10 regardless of Version has it.

For local I now use https://www.remoteutilities.com/ As it says in their pricing:

Our free license allows you to add up to 10 remote computers in your Viewer address book. You can use the free license in a business and personal setting. Only one free license key is allowed per individual, company or organization.
    You can set it to only do Local or anywhere access in the World. When in Vanuatu last year, logged into one of the servers and got same files I was after.

I will DDU the AMD drivers and Revo Uninstall other old apps/progs.
    I realise that the .mrimg I used is very old. The pic states it is from 6/9/20 but that is incorrect, it was 'modified' on that date whatever that means. The .mrimg I used was created shortly after I became a pensioner 3 year ago and bought all new hardware I am now am using. So the image is close to 3year old. I have made other recent backups since that time but for some unknow reason I cannot find them saved to any of my external Storage HDD's. There is a Backup folder containing 2 recent images but when I tried to open them in Macrium viBoot it started but then failed, reason stated was "invalid file". So I am having to do the W10 OS update to that which I have.
    When it's all done and Murphy's Law doesn't come into play, I will back it up , delete all partitions on the Samsung, move the SSD to the computer I am going to finish building when the 16GB DDR4 RAM I ordered/purchased arrives next week and reinstall the new image to it.
    Hmmmmm...might google 'migrating an OS/SSD to another computer.
    First things first . chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Re the Remote --- Haven't used team Viewer in over two years now.

With W10 I just use the inbuilt, easy to setup and every W10 regardless of Version has it.

For local I now use https://www.remoteutilities.com/ As it says in their pricing:

You can set it to only do Local or anywhere access in the World. When in Vanuatu last year, logged into one of the servers and got same files I was after.
    wainuitech
    hi. Yep sounds the way for me to go also..
    I am about to boot into the Samsung Drive and do the cleaning out of old apps and accumulated junk. Then I will set the Update into action.
    To be, or not to be
    Cheers
    Last edited by kioti; 29-11-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Job done. Went smooth as. I uninstalled AMD Drivers and some other apps/progs before I started the update to latest W10 Pro x64
    It took 90mins to Download, Install OS Update and other updates, 30mins for each step.
    Seems to working well. Though I have had to boot into the Intel SSD to come here with the news because my Press F1 login name is different using the other System. I could probably commented there but didn't want a conflict to arise.
    One thing I noticed at end of the Update was popup notifications at bottom right of monitor screen informing that a conflict has happened and the media file had been changed from say xvid to m4a in NTR something...I couldn't get the info because the notifications were only onscreen for a second interval. There were quite a few of them. But all seems well, thus far.

Cheers
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UPDATING NOW.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	10614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UPDATE DONE 1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	10613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UPDATE NOW OPTION 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	10615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UPDATE NOW OPTION.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	10616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW EDGE.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	10617
    Last edited by kioti; 30-11-2020 at 12:45 AM.

New W10 Version
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SYSTEM W10 20H2 BUILD 19042.630.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	10618

And now, to sleep. Goodnight.
    cheers, take care