Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No MB BIOS access

I have a computer here with an oldish Gigabyte MB GA-MA770-US3. It still works, but there is no longer access to the BIOS when it is booting. Pushing any of the keys that normally give access (delete, F12, pause etc) just freeze the booting process. There is normal booting to the OS if none of these keys are touched.

Tried clearing the CMOS with the link that you short, removed the HD and DVD drive, but still no BIOS access. Any ideas for fixing this please, or has the MB just gone faulty?

Default Re: No MB BIOS access

The BIOS key for the board is DELETE, if there are any USB devices plugged in disconnect them, some MB's play silly with USB.

If the KB/Mouse are USB try a PS2 keyboard, they sometimes work when a USB KB wont (seen a couple of old boards like that)

Could need a BIOS Flash (last resort) BUT there's two versions of that Board, Rev 1.0 & Rev 2.0 You have to get the correct one The rev number will be printed on the Board or in the BIOS if you can get in.

Thanks for the ideas Wainuitech. I've worked through them, plus anything else I can think of, but there is no change in the booting process so far.

There's a backup BIOS on these boards. Maybe trying that would be an idea. I looked around on the web to find out how to tell the board to use the backup, but the procedures sounded a bit hit and miss. Do you know of a fool proof way of telling the board to change to the backup? This board is Rev 2.0, for what it's worth.

Try replacing the cmos battery.
    I had the same problem, wouldn't boot into Bios/uefi until I did that (the clock was still working fine tho).
    Also needed to use a usb keyboard as my cordless Logitech keyboard wasn't read while cold booting.
    "...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------
    "After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch."

The cmos battery is ok, recently changed, right up at 3.0v.

I forced the motherboard to change to the backup BIOS, but that didn't make any difference. When booting the computer, the screen first comes up with the Gigabyte GUI, which has the BIOS options on it. Selecting one of them, Delete, or any other, produces no response, just freezes the whole booting process.

thats a VERY old motherboard (AM2 , DDR2)

it may be on its last legs . I have older AM2 & slightly newer AM3 version Gigabyte motherboards (my AM3 board is on its last legs) .
    Its just tap on del to get into the bios (from memory) . Try a PS2 kb if you have one.
    Try moving ram around or reseating the RAM . Also try another vid card .

Hanging on POST or bios key is never a good sign . If its you main PC , start backing up data while its still working & have a plan for when(if) it dies .
    Last edited by 1101; 30-11-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks for the comments, 1101. I suppose it is an old board, but I like to try and solve problems - there might have been an easy solution. "Oh, just do..."

It is using a PS2 keyboard (tried another one too) changed the RAM, haven't tried another video card yet. It is not the main computer, but it is handy to have. I'll think about a replacement board for it, but not one from TradeMe!

Do you need bios access ?
    It should work just fine with default settings. The date & time you can change in Windows

Good luck find a replacement board. Ive been looking for a while for a AM3+ board. Everyone on trademe wants silly money for something thats long obselete , or suspiciously selling a board without CPU (so may have been a failing board)

No, I don't need access to the BIOS most of the time, but I play around a bit, have Linux on another drive perhaps, and F12 is very handy to select the drive I want, or to select the optical drive.

The youngest computer here has a Gigabyte GA-MA-770T-UD3P in it, 2009, or thereabouts? I expect them to just keep going!

When the hardware is that old I don't personally think it's worth trying to replace the motherboard if it does die on you. Just too hard to find and a high chance of it failing again.
    If it comes to that I'd just shop around for a cheap motherboard / CPU combo either new or second hand, or buy an ex lease PC.

The last PC I built cost me right around $300 for a brand new MB / CPU /RAM - cheapest parts I could find for an itx system from PB tech at the time and it works very well.
    You obviously don't like buying from trademe, but it is the easiest place to find 2nd hand PC parts.

Otherwise bear deals like these in mind before spending money on old hardware, dealt with this guy once and had a positive experience

https://hungrypc.co.nz/product/dell-...s-10-pro-wifi/
    https://hungrypc.co.nz/product/barga...ndows-10-wifi/
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070