Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Win10 20H2 networking

Well, well, well.

Since this PC has nothing important in there, I wiped everything off and did a fresh reinstall of the latest Win10 ver 20H2

After the installation has completed, I changed the workgroup name to my home network to join my home network setup the network & sharing , etc.. etc...

Restarted the PC in high hope that everything will be OK ... but....

this time, my PC#1 can't even 'see' the newly installed PC#2..... LOL....

Time to give up ????

VoidMaster

I had a problem similar to this, worked for days in a fashion that closely resembles what you have tried, gave up and lo and behold weeks later it just started working correctly.

This was between Win 7, Win 10 and a shared folder on a Spark modem usb port.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

... behold weeks later it just started working correctly ... Hahaha .... That's the spirit! ...

I am not alone ....

Anyway, wainuitech and 1011, thanks for your precious time and efforts in the above. Appreciated very much.

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post

this time, my PC#1 can't even 'see' the newly installed PC#2..... LOL....

Time to give up ????
    Couple of things come to mind -- When installing fresh I never have the Computer connected to the internet Via ethernet, that way once the OS is installed and the cable plugged in a second or so later there's a pop out on the right asking do you want to share / discover other PC's -- For here I click YES. This usually turns on network Discovery, if that's not on nothing will see anything. Being unplugged makes it easier to create a Local account instead of a MS account.

Secondly - on a new install it pays to make a shared folder as again any requirements are turned on or prompted. By Default password protected sharing is ON, that's one of the things I turn off.

Previous comment about Sandbox, that was only to test to see if the computer was actually the problem. Sandbox creates a Virtual Testing Windows OS which all settings disappear when shut down. This is different to a Standard Virtual machine that keeps everything.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 01-12-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    C..- When installing fresh I never have the Computer connected to the internet Via ethernet, that way once the OS is installed and the cable plugged in a second or so later there's a pop out on the right asking do you want to share / discover other PC's -- For here I click YES. This usually turns on network Discovery, if that's not on nothing will see anything. Being unplugged makes it easier to create a Local account instead of a MS account.

You connect the Ethernet cable half-way in between when it says: "Let's connect you to a network, To finish setup, you'll need to connect to the internet" or, wait till everything is finished then plug in the Ethernet cable?

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    You connect the Ethernet cable half-way in between when it says: "Let's connect you to a network, To finish setup, you'll need to connect to the internet" or, wait till everything is finished then plug in the Ethernet cable?
    Only Connect after its installed fully ( still needs Drivers and to Activate)

So Picture if you can -- Installs -- chug chug chug When it gets to "Let's connect you to a network" Select I don't have internet -- it throws up a couple of warnings about missing out of things, as well as tries several times to get you to connect - it eventually gives up and reboots, tries again - again Select I don't have internet - Then you get the box Who is going to use this PC (enter what ever name you want to use) You can leave the password Blank if you don't want one, then it finishes setting up -- Plug in the Ethernet, the box pops out on the right, similar to this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Setup.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	10635

Its only there a very short time , a few seconds, If local (one of mine) I click yes, if a customers I click No.

it then goes through the standard activation and downloads of any drivers, updates etc ( which I manually run).

You can replicate the pop out easily enough on an existing machine. Leave the Cable connected.

In Search type in Network Reset, open it - Click on "Reset Now Button", You'll get a prompt - Click YES, it will appear to do nothing for a few seconds, then get a pop up saying it will reboot in 5 minutes. This will totally wipe out your network connection instantly. Once the time warning is showing often I just click start /Restart. When the computer restarts, it will reconstruct the connection and you'll get the pop out again. But as before its not there for long.

It may take a few moments to settle as its rebuilt the connection and needs to reconstruct from the router, and a cmd window open/closes.

This is the easy way to reset a damaged connection.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 01-12-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Read an old article about Win10 & networking, that the 'Function Discovery Resource Publication' has something to do with home networking.

Went to Services to check the settings, found that it's set to Manual. I changed it to Automatic, restarted PC and now PC#2 XYZ shows up but still couldn't get the sharing part to work ...

Anyway. will leave it for now ... hopefully, it will fix by itself as mentioned by Zqwerty ... LOL

Haven't given up totally. Just remember that I have got a laptop (no password to log in to Win 10) to try on.

Set up all the necessary networking sharing bits and pieces, restarted ...

Exactly the same results as summarised, just to share:

1. PC with passwords to login to Windows CANNOT access PCs without passwords to login to Windows; even with Credentials entered in Credential Manager -- meaning that Windows Credential is not working correctly.
    2. PCs without passwords to login to Windows CAN access PCs with password but need to enter Credential password. The credentials entered in the Credential Manager doesn't work.
    3. PCs without passwords to login to Windows CAN share and access each other (without passwords to login) happily.
    4. PCs with passwords to login to Windows CAN share and access each other (with passwords to login) happily.

I think it's a Windows 10 problem with the Credential Manager. I maybe wrong, though.

The credentials entered in the Credential Manager doesn't work
    For the Passwords to work, generally there has to be the account on the PC.

Meaning.

PC 1 user Fred Password = 123456 PC 2 Account Fred should be on PC, Fred Password 123456 = Should work

PC 1 user Fred Password = 123456 PC 2 Account Fred NOT on PC2 --- Generally wont as doesn't have permission. As the Credential Manager doesn't have an account listed to assign permissions to.

Mixing types of permissions usually leads to

These are server style setups, has been for several versions of Windows right back to W7 from memory.

Going by the listed descriptions, 3 & 4 are doing exactly what they are meant to be doing.

So really its up to you to decide, have passwords on all Computers or none on all computers ??

You'll find since pass worded PC's can access then its the security. Non pass worded are open slaver. (not generally a problem in a home network setup- unless someone's hiding something).- It happens.

Any demos I have given have Always been to Actual Servers and I know what's shared and what's not to whom, Actual servers have a LOT more control over what anyone can have access to.

Why do you think I used "Administrator" in the Demo Logins.

On Saying all that, NONE of the computers I have here are MS Account Signed in, any that do have passwords they are all to Local Servers.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 03-12-2020 at 03:25 PM.