Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Open Office or ..?

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Update: 2 annoyances.

You can't right click and Paste Unformatted
    Crop is horrible....
    Explain in more depth please ??? Dont have any problems Right clicking pasting anything ??

Cropping ?? Its not Paint, and Libre Office has a Draw App, this could be why the crop is better as its integrated into the program.

All comes down to what I mentioned earlier -- The piece I wrote above is for the basic users, not more advanced Most people wouldn't have a clue about cropping or how to use it. See this type of thing all the time, people scan something and do the whole page instead just a small section of what they actually wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Explain in more depth please ??? Dont have any problems Right clicking pasting anything ??

Cropping ?? Its not Paint, and Libre Office has a Draw App, this could be why the crop is better as its integrated into the program.

Not paste. Paste UNFORMATTED.
    Yes, I know....but it's a thing I do everyday....
    Like I said it wasn't bad, just the 2 things I do all the time....so not for me, but I'd sure recommend it to people.

Fonts were better...I had to add in my fav fonts to Libre....Arial for instance.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Not paste. Paste UNFORMATTED.
    Yes, I know....but it's a thing I do everyday....
    Like I said it wasn't bad, just the 2 things I do all the time....so not for me, but I'd sure recommend it to people.

Fonts were better...I had to add in my fav fonts to Libre....Arial for instance.
    They do come out with Free fonts every so often ( via email links) some are -- OK what could I use those for hmmm, BUT Libre not having Arial -- that's really weird, that's a common as day font

Just threw Libre Office into a Windows Sandbox, version 7.Something, shows the Arial fonts -- maybe the linux Version didn't have them -- Who knows ??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	libre Office fonts..png 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	10592

I have a very old ver of Office, 2000, or some thing....
    If I were to install and try the above free ones, will they clash?

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    I have a very old ver of Office, 2000, or some thing....
    If I were to install and try the above free ones, will they clash?
    They usually wont clash, BUT Office 2000 is stated as to old to run in Windows 10, its not fully compatible.

It "may" work in compatibility mode, BUT don't be at all surprised if it gives problems, crashes or errors.

You would be better off using a newer Product and use the old style interface similar to 2000 (if it offers it). Either FreeOffice or Libre Office -- or install both, they wont clash and you decide which you like.

I NOW got 6 Different Office programs on this (Dont ask ) and they all get along fine together

What's the feeling about WPS Office?

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

Just threw Libre Office into a Windows Sandbox, version 7.Something, shows the Arial fonts -- maybe the linux Version didn't have them --
    It didn't. It does now. I added in the "windows" fonts.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy stu View Post
    What's the feeling about WPS Office?
    They have appeared to changed it now, but I don't know if its for the better or not ? Used to use it as a Free option, but these days the free includes adverts that cant be removed unless you pay for it.

Also Previously several antivirus software would detect included malware, it does phone home all the times as well, this may be partly because of the Cloud usage, that you would need to sign into Via Google of facebook.

Just installed it and stopped it phoning home 38 times (just on start up) It does collect information on you - from the Privacy page https://www.wps.com/privacy-policy All the others didn't phone home once.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 22-11-2020 at 09:43 AM.

I have been using it. Not recommended then WT for reasons you quote?

Thats completely upto you ( or anyone else for that matter) Many programs phone home, some more than others. Some may check only for updates some dont phone home at all unless you tell them to - Manually check for updates as an example.

Bit like this thread and original Post -- use what ever you want, no one can say you must use a certain program.

I have the firewall on Eset set to manual, so anything that wants in or out I have to approve or deny. If its something that I know is Fine I set the option to always allow ( Browsers, onedrive, Internet Download manager etc)