Unhappy Thunder Bird Email problems

Well thunderbirds latest update has caused a stir over a Dozen calls for help before 9.00am this morning.

They have upgraded the program to use higher security - But in the process stuffed lots of peoples email either not allowing to sign in (round and round circle) OR cant receive emails.

After upgrading to Thunderbird 78, I cannot receive or send email messages.
    One reason why this might happen is when your email provider is using outdated security protocols. Thunderbird takes protecting the privacy and security of your communication serious. That is why, by default, Thunderbird 78 will not connect to servers that do not support the modern TLS 1.2 connection security protocol. So if your email provider only supports the outdated security protocols TLS 1.0 or TLS 1.1, downloading (receiving) and sending emails will not work by default. If you really need to connect to such mail servers with outdated security, or if you want to check if this is the cause of your problem, you can temporarily re-enable the older security protocols in Thunderbird settings.
    In Bold -- Yeah right - The Outdated Servers are Both Google (gmail) and Microsoft (outlook.com) Good luck with that suggestion

There are some fixes put out but the Success rate is not good, tried so far the fixes on 5 different Peoples computers only 1 worked.

When you try any fixes to lower the security if using a gmail account, Gmail throws its toys out saying insecure app trying to access your account, and promptly blocks Thunderbird

Solution -- install a email client like EM Client - that actually works Or Web mail Only.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 03-12-2020 at 03:38 PM.

Default Re: Thunder Bird Email problems

Similar to this thread on Geekzone?? https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.as...topicid=280181
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Similar to this thread on Geekzone?? https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.as...topicid=280181
    Yep thats the one.

Read the whole thing, and checked on one of my test Computers, SSL/TSL was already selected as per someone linked- still didn't work, removed the certificates, still didn't work.

Finally did what someone posted

I completely uninstalled Thunderbird (using Revo Uninstaller)
    Fresh install with Thunderbird v.78.5.0, using all original settings.
    THEN it worked. So seems if theres an upgrade from Previous Thunderbird fails to bring across existing working settings.

Bit of a pain way to fix a problem , but every one I spoke to was happy to dump ThunderBird, quite a few have had problems for months, and nothing to do with Eset as some only used the inbuilt Windows. Anyone using Eset I turn on the SSL/TSL anyway when installing.

I read:

Eset SSL filtering is causing it, disable it then re-enable
    https://support.eset.com/en/kb3126-d...-filtering-in-
    eset-windows-products

But mine is fine. Of course I don't have any Av anymore either.
    Ex-pctek

Mine failed so just installed EM a couple of days ago, imported old emails from TB into EM then uninstalled TB.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I read:

Eset SSL filtering is causing it, disable it then re-enable
    https://support.eset.com/en/kb3126-d...-filtering-in-
    eset-windows-products
    Okay that's actually not quite the full story.

The problem is actually thunderbird not upgrading correctly.

Nothing has changed in Eset, AND just come back from fixing three more, and TWO of them didn't have any other Antivirus installed apart from the inbuilt windows, so there's no way Eset could have anything to do with it.

The fix that worked as one wanted to keep ChunderBird was to uninstall it using revo unistaller, reboot, install fresh and used same account details - worked fine.

That's a bit hair-raising. I have been using Thunderbird for years without any problems (other than those of my own making). I am now on 78.5.1 and I thought the .1 update followed the .0 rather quickly, so have I been lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayess64 View Post
    That's a bit hair-raising. I have been using Thunderbird for years without any problems (other than those of my own making). I am now on 78.5.1 and I thought the .1 update followed the .0 rather quickly, so have I been lucky?
    Often if software manufactures put out minor updates (like from .0 -.1) quickly its to fix a problem, so who knows.

What is certain is if a person lowers the security as Thunderbird recommends and use the older, Gmail throws a fit about unsecure apps.