Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Locked out of Windows. Login Screen changed from PIN to Password. Headache!!!

Hi
    Had to reboot computer and when it reached the Login screen I entered the PIN and was informed it is wrong... I have to enter a Password....I have NEVER had to enter a password in the W10Pro x64 I have been using for 2+ years. Always the PIN.
    Now I cannot get into the Desktop at all! This is getting ridiculous because I have to click the Forgot password option, I am taken to a Black screen Window with white text, where I choose to have a CODE sent to my email address and to get the Code I have to Restart computer, get into UEFI/BIOS and choose to boot from another SSD that had W10 Pro x64 v1709 that had no AV installed (It was an install of W10 Pro I did 12-18+ month ago when the 1909 version I had installed to an Intel 660PM.2 NVMe froze up on me so I wiped the Samsung Evo 860 SSD I had connected as a Storage drive and I installed W10Pro v 1709 to it so I could access the internet and forums. I then had to wipe the Intel 660P M.2 NVME and install a macrium image of it I had created a month earlier.)
    All that's irrelevant really and only gets mentioned because twice I have had to go though the procedure of booting into the Evo 860 SSD, going to my Gmail account, getting a Reset Code and then rebooting and into UEFI/BIOS and setting to boot into the Intel SSD, getting to Login screen, enter the Code, then at a screen to Reset Password I create a new Password, then I was told 'Now login' and I enter the newly created password and was told it is Wrong!........ Text on screen said I have to enter the password I used when I created my MS Account!
    Why am I being sent to get a Code to enter in to enable me to Create a NEW Password if it wants the original password I used when I created my MS Account!??? Absurd!
    That was going nowhere fast so I tried a password that I would have used to create the MS Account and was informed it is Wrong! Then I tried the same password but it has Uppercase and Lowercase letters and a number in it, the other password is all lowercase and the number in it, THAT password was/IS also Incorrect! I then tried a password that I had used for 10 years up until 2 year ago when I went from W7 to W10. That password is also incorrect
    I am seriously hacked off about this and nowhere can I find a saved notepad file with my MS Account details, nor can I find it anywhere in my Gmail saved emails.
    To top it off, I googled recovering MS Account passwords and resetting/creating a new password and it is really maddening that the steps/how it's done videos are ALL showing the process from an OPEN WINDOWS 10 Desktop!
    How the Dickens can I get my W10 Pro x64 v20H2 build (unknown at this time but it was the latest that came with the update a couple of weeks ago),,, how the heck can I get it to boot into Usable desktop? All my passwords are wrong and obviously I cannot change the password to a new one. IS maddening.
    The Samsung Evo 860 SSD is now running W10 Pro x64 v 20H2 build 19042.630. I tried to create a recovery disc that I could boot into and attempt a System Restore, was advised to use MediaCreationTool to download a recovery disc and ended up downloading an ISO of W10 v20H2 and mounted that in virtual drive, kicked it started installing/upgrading the existing W10 OS that was on the Samsung SSD. It is all fully updated and running the Bitdefender Total Security.
    I considered using the W10 ISO I DL'd to 'upgrade/repair the OS on the Intel SSD but I thinking I may very well still be going to have issues because doing that isn't going to change the Password. I sure cannot use the DL'd ISO to get into Advanced Options and System Restore and is Syst Restore going to require me entering a 'password' before it goes in to action.
    I am dreading having to create a Full Disc Image of the Intel Drive so I can get whatever files etc that I can from it and then wipe it clean and use an Image of it I created a while ago to get that drive working again.
    My kingdom for a talking horse that can tell me what has to be done to get that Password issue behind me.
    What the heck caused the Login Screen change from PIN to Password????????!!!!!! ???????
    Last edited by kioti; 13-11-2020 at 10:18 PM.

Default Re: Locked out of Windows. Login Screen changed from PIN to Password. Headache!!!

Edit a bit late to be added in above post: I KNOW what the Password is for my MS Account..... it is the SAME one that I have for THIS Op Sys I am currently using. But this Samsung SSD allows me to login with the same PIN I had on the Intel 660P SSD.
    But its not doing the job. Corrupted Drive? System files? Virus ??

Default Re: Locked out of Windows. Login Screen changed from PIN to Password. Headache!!!

I am not being given the Sign in options on the Sign in screen. Be just the ticket if I could get into regedit
    https://www.top-password.com/knowled...indows-10.html

https://www.top-password.com/guide/b...-password.html
    Last edited by kioti; 13-11-2020 at 10:55 PM.

I used Rufus and created a bootable USB from the W10 .ISO I DL'd. Shutdown the computer, removed the Samsung Evo860 SSD and an external HDD, leaving the Intal 660P M.2 NVMe as only drive connected, rebooted comp, entered UEFI BIOS, set first boot to the bootable USB, F10 and restart.
    At Install W10 screen I chose the 'Repair my computer' option, navigated to Advanced options, chose Command Prompt, entered wmic useraccount get name,sid
    The Starting gate didn't open.
    No user accounts?? This signifies a problem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NO USER ACCOUNTS IN W10.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	10573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STARTUP REPAIR FAILED.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	10574  
    Last edited by kioti; 14-11-2020 at 08:09 AM.

ps: I can access the Intel SSD from the Samsung SSD but can't run a game that's installed in the Intel. Beginning to look like its get everything I can off the Intel SSD, format it and load a Macrium disk backup made from the Intel SSD.

Create a new Admin Account as explained in this link?? Nothing to lose giving it a shot.
    https://www.top-password.com/guide/b...-password.html
    Last edited by kioti; 14-11-2020 at 09:38 AM. Reason: corrections

Thios normally happens due to some sort of corruption. Could be one of many things. Seen one cause was actually a free antivirus causing the problem. What happens ( from experiences) while youuse a PIN to log in its actually linked to youe MS account, and since you didn't enter a password it cant actually find it. Personally I dont bother with passwords or Pins, they rae Fine if you are in a place where you dont want others to get onto your Computer, or even a laptop if mobile but at home there's no point.

The link provided above -- The PCUnlocker is a good program BUT its not free, if you ran it it may say it can solve the problem but $$ first.

Check your Messages I'll PM you a solution.

wainuitech, hi and thanks... yep might be PCUnlocker is the necessary tool.
    I tried the create a new admin, got the first command done in RUN and created a new user/name but when I entered the next command I was informed that there is no global (something or rather ) and it didn't finish. The computer opened into Log in screen and wanted the password. I thought the first command had wiped out all existing admin accounts, I was asked if I wanted to to do that (Yes/No) typed yes and my new admin was created.
    Oh dear.
    PCUnlocker, the $ is probably Amercian which means its about 60% more in $NZ... and then there is paying for it. Paypal?? Bank Transfer costs a bomb and I have to go into the Bank and do it with International Transfer..... Bank costs more than the app. I will check it out.
    I couldn't open your PM's in a new tab, get a notification saying its a pop up blocker most likely causing that... far as I know there isn't a popup blocker installed in computer or browser. Might be Bitdefender causing it. Dunno.
    This happened yesterday when I connected my mobile phn to a computer USB3 Port, tried open the DCIM/Camera to get a pic to make a .jpg of it and post it in FBook. There was problem opening on screen of computer, it was unresponsive, then froze and I hit the Power button to shutdown and reboot. When it rebooted and reached the login screen the proverb became manifest.
    This is off topic but for a few weeks since the last update to W10 v 20H2 I have been continually losing Dual display whenever Windows updates. When it gets to login screen I have no display on TV from the AMD Radeon Nitro RX580 GPU. Windows fails to open the drivers. I have had to boot to safe mode, use DDU to remove all AMD Drivers, then set to boot to Selective Startup, reinstall the latest drivers for the GPU and voila I have Dual Display again. Its a real PITA having to do it once /twice a week.
    My comp and Display are set to Never sleep and Updates hours are set to be 8am - 5pm daily. But these updates are coming in after midnight and I wake to no TV display.
    Stopping Windows updates from installing and restarting computer is now not an option. MS done away with that option we had.
    Anyway, that is off topic.
    Thanks for your response and suggestions. I will try to get your PM's open and have a read.
    Cheers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UPDATES.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	10577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UPDATES 3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	10578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEV MAN.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	10575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EVENT VIEWER 1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	10576
    Last edited by kioti; 14-11-2020 at 11:19 AM. Reason: add image pic

re the AMD Radeon Drivers - YEP its quite common for AMD to screw things up. There is a simple way though. Had to block AMD many times from updating ( they seem to be really slow at sorting their drivers)

1st download the hide or Show Updates trouble shooter from Number 1 on the following site. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-p...-driver-update

As you have been doing use DDU to remove the drivers. Then run the " hide or Show Updates trouble shooter" Select the Drivers you want to stop. DONE They wont redownload.

Here's the GOTYA !! You have to be quick after rebooting other wise windows will download them again. So make sure you have the trouble shooter handy after rebooting from DDU.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    re the AMD Radeon Drivers - YEP its quite common for AMD to screw things up. There is a simple way though. Had to block AMD many times from updating ( they seem to be really slow at sorting their drivers)

1st download the hide or Show Updates trouble shooter from Number 1 on the following site. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-p...-driver-update

As you have been doing use DDU to remove the drivers. Then run the " hide or Show Updates trouble shooter" Select the Drivers you want to stop. DONE They wont redownload.

Here's the GOTYA !! You have to be quick after rebooting other wise windows will download them again. So make sure you have the trouble shooter handy after rebooting from DDU.
    wainuitech
    hi..... yep I get onto that what you suggested. I have disabled Windows installing drivers for the AMD hardware after I have used DDU because they are 2-3 years out of date. I don't know if I had Radeon set to update drivers, I usually received a notification informing me that there is a new driver released and I go to get it DL'd then DDU the existing Drivers and install from the latest offering. I can skip using DDU and just go ahead with installing the latest driver/s because the existing installed Drivers are uninstalled. But I prefer using DDU for the thorough removal and have no dregs in the cup.
    Cheers

Now for the GOOD news well its not perfect but it's gonna have to suffice.
    I got and used the PCUnlocker app, v5.2.... removed the password for kioti ( NOT administrator), left it blank, restarted comp and at log in screen I had the head and shoulders icon and my name, spinning dots and words saying 'a moment please' or something similar.
    Opened to Desktop and I was so glad. A lot of shortcuts/folders/files that I had on desktop are gone. I cannot use Syst Restore because there are no saved Rest Points. Bummer.
    START > click System and doesn't open, nor will clicking System in Control Panel Panel.
    I will probably become aware of more peculiarities as time goes by, but as I said, I will clone C Drive, format it and load an earlier Image of C Drive.
    AMD RX580 drivers are not opening up so its a DDU uninstall and then the reinstall of them. Dual Display I usually only require if I want to play a Movie or watch Netflix or a doco from You tube.

It seems that I am running in a temporary account even though kioti is Admin. Here's a pic showing the desktop now and another showing Win Updates installed
    Clicking START and I see all the installed apps are there......I clicked the desktop shortcut icon for Sniper Elite 4 game and it opened but alas it has lost all of the saved progress I made in 2 years playing, and alas the Game Save Folder is gone. I can get around that.
    I am going to create a Macrium 7 full disc image of the recovered C Drive, format it and load an Image I made awhile ago. It's not going to be fully up to date but it will do, to be getting on with.
    Here's a pic showing the desktop now, no details/info in the Sapphire TriXX Utility because the AMD RX580 drivers haven't loaded so its going to have to the DDU uninstall of them and then reinstall, again.
    I wanted to check what version of W10 was running and as I couldn't get into System I opened Apps and Features and clicked to view installed updates. Is running W10 20H2.
    What's your opinion on the window showing that I am not logged into my account and logging out and in again can fix it? I have logged out and in 3 times and still get the notification onscreen.

Cheers and thanks for your advice and help.
    kioti

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BACK INTO INTEL DRIVE.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	10579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UPDATES SHOWS W10 20H2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	10580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAN'T SIGN IN 1.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	10581
    Last edited by kioti; 14-11-2020 at 09:25 PM. Reason: forgot to add the pics