Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wanderer

Default Re: Is that the end of CDs and DVDs?

I've never really bought much CDs DVDs or books. Books I use a library and I'm the type that watches them only once. Since my 3yr old PC doesn't have a IDE controller I got rid or my DVD-RW drive which I had since the year probably 2006, the last build it was used on was the previous P4 Core 2 Duo Quad Q8200 which I got in 2008 Dec. Yep, I used that computer for 9 or 10yrs haha. So this computer for the last 3yrs nearly I've never had a optical drive including external. My 2012 laptop still has a DVD-RW so might had been once or twice I've used that to access a DVD.

Not just the bought discs. It's a bit like the personal discs we have made ourselves what do we do with them. A bit like the floppy disks I guess. All of them the files have been copied to the HD. Yeah but things like music CDs I have created myself or recorded TV videos. That was the way before right moving away from VHS and into CDs and DVDs and now we move again ....

Also sooner or later when it fills up what do we do with 500GB platter HDDs .... At the moment I am using 1x TB as a data drive and then I am using 2x 500GB as a internal automated backup. Once the 1TB is not enough what do I do with that or the 2x 500GB .... I guess I could grab a 2TB or something and use the 1TB and the 2x 500GB as backups but that is stretching it a bit. I also have 2x 2TB in my drawer for backup.
    Last edited by Nomad; 07-11-2020 at 06:38 PM.

I think that in next 10 years, only few will use CD/DVDs, because it's easier to have a flash drive and it's speed is better than a CD one, also flash drive have more capacity and it's more compact than disks. I have optical drive at my home pc and laptop but i used it only one time since 2010, i prefer to use flash drive because how i said previously it's more practical for capacity and occupied space. Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by ClarissaBull View Post
    I think that in next 10 years, only few will use CD/DVDs, because it's easier to have a flash drive and it's speed is better than a CD one, also flash drive have more capacity and it's more compact than disks. I have optical drive at my home pc and laptop but i used it only one time since 2010, i prefer to use flash drive because how i said previously it's more practical for capacity and occupied space. Have a nice day!
    Most PC's and laptops no longer have a CD/DVD drive as standard
    Most paid for software is now a download instead of on a disk .
    I guess digital downloads of software keeps the Software Developers happy, as they can very closely track download rights(valid license ) & how many times you've downloaded it , & what its intstalled on .

The last (not downloaded) retail versions of Win10 I bought came on USB/s . All the other MS software I bought has been a download .
    The locally built PC's I buy for customers still come with a win10 install DVD , but I dont see that continuing for long

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Most PC's and laptops no longer have a CD/DVD drive as standard
    Even the 2010 MS Office tertiary education edition was via download.
    PC games could be downloaded even if you had a DVD disc and it does the updates. Gaming consoles now have digital only editions? Next to go is EB Games or they may need to restructure their business.

Movie hires are now online.
    Public libraries now have some books that are via eBook and you can download and read it on your digital device without needing to go outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    PC games could be downloaded even if you had a DVD disc and it does the updates. .
    The last PC game I bought as a retail box , needed online registration (via steam) and then proceeded to redownload the whole game (rather than just the update) , all 3Gb of it, despite having the DVD disk
    on my slow internet at the time , 3Gb download took forever .

Motherboard Manufactures still include a Driver CD, as even though W10 does pick up most Motherboard Drivers, it doesn't always get the full versions.

Bleakly Optomistic

I still regularly buy CDs from local or overseas bands, as long as I know most of the money will be going to the artists. As far as I know, buying blank CDs are still cheaper than buying USB sticks. Also, Tape is making a bit of a comeback music wise.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by the_bogan View Post
    As far as I know, buying blank CDs are still cheaper than buying USB sticks. Also, Tape is making a bit of a comeback music wise.
    I am still using a reusable 4GB USB flash drive from 2007 Film photography is also increasing in usage now year on year but it's probably never going back to the same numbers of heyday.

If you can hear the difference between flac and CD something is wrong somewhere, maybe it's whatever device is decoding the flac. The point of lossless compression is in the name, lossless. The resulting waveform should be identical.
    Anyway it doesn't matter, if you can hear a difference then it obviously will matter to you.

I have my CD collection in a box in the spare room, all ripped to lossless format and backed up as well. But I rarely bother even using that, I have the whole collection also converted to 192kbps mp3 for use on the phone and in the car etc and that's where most of my music listening happens. To my ears any difference is barely perceptible at most and is totally lost in those listening environments anyway.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070