Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Specsavers: "We could all do with a spare pair."

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    We got my mum to use Zennioptical this time. yay!!! ....
    Their feedback seems to be very variable from one end to the other. Have you tried any other online shops?
    "B.M. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else": The working class! Let's make sure we vote next time!

I'm an enthusiastic Zenniphile ... I get the eye exam done at the University Optometry Clinic, and send the prescription off to Zenni. Progressive lenses, antiglare, all delivered under 2 weeks from exam to receipt, and all up around $140. I only ever had one problem, a tiny imperfection that Zenni fixed without any hesitation on their part. The replacement pair arrived within a week (no cost or freight charges) and they said to keep the original glasses as a standby just-in-case pair. Which 10 years on, they're still in service.

I did try an online NZ company for an updated script, but I found their ordering process sometimes confusing. The NZ company's cost was more than Specsavers, and certainly much much more than Zenni.

Try Zenni, they really are great value. As Wainui says, it's the frames that push up the cost, and who's going to be able to tell the difference between designer frames and low cost specs that look just as good anyway?
    Last edited by WalOne; 03-11-2020 at 06:59 AM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

I go to Specsavers and I have just got new glasses a month ago. I got 1 pair of graduated and 1 pair of graduated with polarised lenses. It cost around $700. I need, for the first time, sunnies having never worn them in my lifetime. Especially for driving. I realise I could probably get them cheaper at Zenni, but I am probably set in my ways. I also wanted in there once or twice a year and they tighten everything up, reset the positioning and clean them all free.

SWMBO's friend, also set in her ways, goes to the optician we used to go too and her her single pair of graduated lenses for $50 more than I paid for 2 pairs.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by notechyet View Post
    Have you tried any other online shops?
    I bought from 39dollarglasses once. Very pleased with them.
    Ex-pctek

When my glasses disappear I usually find them in my dressing gown pocket. I have no idea how they get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    If that trip to the workshop involved walking over any lawn, then you need to scour that ground ASAP, coz mowers are excellent at finding lost specs... finding and destroying that is.

On top of the refrigerator?

My mum, in the early stages of her dementia would go outside, fall over, and spill her specs into the grass, then pick herself up and carry on without them.
    I'd often be faced with going through security cam footage to pinpoint where and when she did/didn't have them on. They can be devilishly hard to spot in the grass.
    Nope no grass, all concrete or Carpet in the House. From Office, down hall to back door, out to workshop (37 Steps - just stepped it out) Grabbed the USB drive, didn't even stop walking, back to lounge again similar steps, sat down-- OK where are they ????

This happened several months ago now (using an old pair at the moment, no anti-glare, and you notice it) The security cam footage would be a good idea but it happened to long ago (July), that would be helpful to see if I had them on when leaving the office or entering the workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    who's going to be able to tell the difference between designer frames and low cost specs that look just as good anyway?
    Actually, you know they're all made in the same factory? Watched a doco on it once, as they came down the conveyer belt, labels were attached to some, and not others.
    Hence the cost difference.

Ditto sunglasses.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Actually, you know they're all made in the same factory? Watched a doco on it once, as they came down the conveyer belt, labels were attached to some, and not others.
    Hence the cost difference.

Ditto sunglasses.
    Saw a similar test with the sunglasses. They took some of the high priced glasses and compared and tested to the cheap ones, (same spec's, UV ratings etc) At the end it came down to the low priced were just as good as the high without some "label" on them.

The words 'dementia' and 'glasses' reminds me of the time when I was trying to find my glasses, and my son asked me what I was doing. I replied "looking for my glasses". he replied "you'r wearing them"! I had recently given them a wash. I am always losing my walking stick. It's a bugger getting old!

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    I am always losing my walking stick. It's a bugger getting old!
    Ha ha SWMBO bought me a strap as I tend to drop mine. Makes it easier for when I am taking photos. Just hangs from my wrist. Old age certainly isn't for wussies.

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen