Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Specsavers: "We could all do with a spare pair."

Specsavers ad on the radio is saying, "We could all do with a spare pair." That is, of course, if you can afford it. Prescription glasses cost about $700. Can you afford to have a spare $700 just sitting around doing nothing?

But what do you want with a spare pair? When would you wear them? And why? What's wrong with the pair you are wearing? Particularly if you only take them off when you go to bed. And you don't need a spare pair then.

So why ". . . could we all do with a spare pair."? I just don't understand it.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: Specsavers: "We could all do with a spare pair."

Mine are prescription and I had two pairs. They are no where near $700, its the frames that bump up the price. I Don't need them all the time only working on computers.

When I say "had" There is one pair that sits on my desk in their case under the monitors, they never leave the room, the other is the ones I take to jobs or in the workshop.

Had them on in the lounge, went into the office did an email then out to the workshop to grab my work USB, took all of 5 minutes if that, went to put them on again in the lounge and okay ?? , do you think I can find the damn things -- looked everywhere I went no where to be found -- Still cant find them, and its annoying as they are prescription and have the fancy antiglare for computers

Older by the minute

They will be under a piece of paper, a cloth, down the side of a chair or left inside a now closed up computer. They will turn up just as soon as you replace them. Regards, Murphy!

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Specsavers ad on the radio is saying, "We could all do with a spare pair." Prescription glasses cost about $700.
    I hate Specsavers. They ripped off my brother and mother.
    My brother has very little sight left, not actually his eyes as such, it's a brain issue.
    He doesn't bother with glasses at all now.

We got my mum to use Zennioptical this time. yay!!! Instead of Specsavers rip off charges. All up, faster shipping, upgraded lens to their recommended whatever...$152 NZ.

Spares, well she had one, that was if the others got broken or something..........other than that, no you don't need spares....
    And Zenni rules, mine cost me $90 inc shipping etc last time. I have only ever bought 3 pair in my entire life. The handy thing with getting the prescription is you can actually see if nothing has chnaged instead of them convincing you it did.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Mine are prescription and I had two pairs. They are no where near $700, its the frames that bump up the price. I Don't need them all the time only working on computers.

Glasses for close up is a long sighted issue, and $2 magnifiers work just as well. Husband uses them.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    They will be under a piece of paper, a cloth, down the side of a chair or left inside a now closed up computer. They will turn up just as soon as you replace them. Regards, Murphy!
    Wont be inside any computers didn't have any open - so can mark that off the list Well so far -- not on my desk, removed everything, even pulled the desk out - nope. Not in the lounge, pulled out the lounge suit, felt beside then removed cushions - Nope. Not in workshop again moved everything off the bench, even emptied out the rubbish bin as the Mrs was throwing out some things that were on the sinkbench ( just in case I put them on the bench and didn't think about it). Did the standard pat down of pockets -- Grrrrrrrrr.

Having to use an old pair now. But yeah one day they will show up, just like the mystery USB drive disappearing -- I'm sure we have a ghost

Heres how that went -- I swore I put a USB drive on the bench , couldn't see it, the Mrs came in and she looked - nope not there. Came out the next morning and there it was right in plain view - I asked SWMBO if she had found it and put it back, she said What you talking about ??? We went out side and right away she saw it, said that wasn't there when we looked yesterday.

Older by the minute

Wainuiomata does that to you. I used to live as a kid in the old farm house before the Golf club bought the land down Coast Road. Now there was a house that could tell stories.

Wont be inside any computers didn't have any open - so can mark that off the list Well so far -- not on my desk, removed everything, even pulled the desk out - nope. Not in the lounge, pulled out the lounge suit, felt beside then removed cushions - Nope. Not in workshop again moved everything off the bench, even emptied out the rubbish bin as the Mrs was throwing out some things that were on the sinkbench ( just in case I put them on the bench and didn't think about it). Did the standard pat down of pockets -- Grrrrrrrrr.

Having to use an old pair now. But yeah one day they will show up, just like the mystery USB drive disappearing -- I'm sure we have a ghost

Heres how that went -- I swore I put a USB drive on the bench , couldn't see it, the Mrs came in and she looked - nope not there. Came out the next morning and there it was right in plain view - I asked SWMBO if she had found it and put it back, she said What you talking about ??? We went out side and right away she saw it, said that wasn't there when we looked yesterday.
    Like this?

Last night I saw upon the stair
    A little man who wasn't there
    He wasn't there again today
    Oh, how I wish he'd go away…

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

My spare pair that live in my work toolbelt cost $10 at the warehouse. My good glasses that I use for long reading times and computer work stay at home and always get put back in their case.

We are both going off for new eye tests on Saturday, I have to have mine done every 2 years as I'm in a high glaucoma risk due to family history. If I still lived in England my eye tests would all be free being high risk.

Had them on in the lounge, went into the office did an email then out to the workshop to grab my work USB, took all of 5 minutes if that, went to put them on again in the lounge and okay ?? , do you think I can find the damn things -- looked everywhere I went no where to be found -- Still cant find them, and its annoying as they are prescription and have the fancy antiglare for computers
    If that trip to the workshop involved walking over any lawn, then you need to scour that ground ASAP, coz mowers are excellent at finding lost specs... finding and destroying that is.

On top of the refrigerator?

My mum, in the early stages of her dementia would go outside, fall over, and spill her specs into the grass, then pick herself up and carry on without them.
    I'd often be faced with going through security cam footage to pinpoint where and when she did/didn't have them on. They can be devilishly hard to spot in the grass.