"If Fawlty Towers is now being removed by the BBC then humour is dead. The puritans are winning because the establishment is weak and has no self confidence."

Nigel Farage@Nigel_Farage· Jun 12

Default Re: Common sense wins!

Good news.

The " Happy Weed' was always going to be close.

Interesting article though. Still 480,000 Special votes to be counted.

Based on 480,000 special votes, 32 per cent "no" and 68 per cent "yes" would change the result of the cannabis referendum.
    Time for a song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyjlxIcu8AM
    Last edited by wainuitech; 30-10-2020 at 03:25 PM.

As I expected for a while, the cannabis vote didn't pass. A lot of discussion amongst friends of the older generation (who consider voting as a norm), have been against it.

The Euthanasia referendum was not to well put together IMHO. My Mum had one wish for old age, and that was to remain independent and be able to cope with everything that came as a norm for old age. Her biggest dread was Dementia. Unfortunately by the time her 80th birthday came around she was starting to develop it. It rapidly worsened and we had to put her into a home where she rapidly deteriorated. When she was 84+ she fell and broke her hip and was put into hospital where they pinned it up and sent her back to her current rest home.

By this time she was Stage 7 which is the last stage. She couldn't do anything for herself all she could do was scream with pain everytime they moved her. Thankfully her mind didn't function but it was terrible. She died in her 87th year after nearly 30 months like this. She was fed a chocolate coloured sludge for all her sustenance. God, our hearts were ripped apart for her! Then you have to deal with Charge nurses who coo and waffle about what a lovely lady and what a neat personality she had. This was about my Mum who was all of that before she developed this insidious disease.

There was nothing we could do for her. After all her money from her estate was gone the govt. paid the private hospital for the 24hr care. Mum would have been so upset had she known all of the goings on in her life. 7 years of hell!

Under the new proposed Euthanasia law, it wouldn't have made any difference as the law requires that the request has to come from the affected person. My mum had lost the ability to do this some 6 years+ earlier.

Anyway, that's my rant with apologies if it bored any of you.

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Boo.
    More time and money wasted on a bit of weed.........while alcohol continues to do far more damage.
    Backward NZ..........we'll catch up one day, too late to become an exporter.......everyone else will reap the income instead.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    As I expected for a while, the cannabis vote didn't pass. A lot of discussion amongst friends of the older generation (who consider voting as a norm), have been against it.

The Euthanasia referendum was not to well put together IMHO. My Mum had one wish for old age, and that was to remain independent and be able to cope with everything that came as a norm for old age. Her biggest dread was Dementia. Unfortunately by the time her 80th birthday came around she was starting to develop it. It rapidly worsened and we had to put her into a home where she rapidly deteriorated. When she was 84+ she fell and broke her hip and was put into hospital where they pinned it up and sent her back to her current rest home.

By this time she was Stage 7 which is the last stage. She couldn't do anything for herself all she could do was scream with pain everytime they moved her. Thankfully her mind didn't function but it was terrible. She died in her 87th year after nearly 30 months like this. She was fed a chocolate coloured sludge for all her sustenance. God, our hearts were ripped apart for her! Then you have to deal with Charge nurses who coo and waffle about what a lovely lady and what a neat personality she had. This was about my Mum who was all of that before she developed this insidious disease.

There was nothing we could do for her. After all her money from her estate was gone the govt. paid the private hospital for the 24hr care. Mum would have been so upset had she known all of the goings on in her life. 7 years of hell!

Under the new proposed Euthanasia law, it wouldn't have made any difference as the law requires that the request has to come from the affected person. My mum had lost the ability to do this some 6 years+ earlier.

Anyway, that's my rant with apologies if it bored any of you.

Ken
    We had pretty much the same with SWMBO's mother all except the money thing as that had been put into trust many years ago so was untouched by the Government, not that there was much once it was split between all 5 daughters

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Boo.
    More time and money wasted on a bit of weed.........while alcohol continues to do far more damage.
    Backward NZ..........we'll catch up one day, too late to become an exporter.......everyone else will reap the income instead.
    Yep.
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    My Mum had .... Dementia.

Under the new proposed Euthanasia law, it wouldn't have made any difference as the law requires that the request has to come from the affected person.

Ken

And it is ONLY if you have a terminal illness that will kill you within 6 months anyway.
    So not terribly helpful.

My dad suffered for 18 months before he died.
    Ex-pctek