Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Property in NZ

Default Re: Property in NZ

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    We lived in the polystyrene you threw out of the box so you could move in,
    Haha, don't joke. They DO use polystyrene you know. Husband did some work on these new build terrace things in Waitakere, he had to drill through the outside one time, got his hole saw out, started it up, and it went through like a hot knife into butter. It was plastered polystyrene!!

We are watching the builds going up down the road, they';'re quite good actually, MSD builds....they are 2 story, admittedly 7 on the section but not joined. And they are actually weatherboard - well I think, could be Linea but it sure looks like weatherboard.

Compared to the Kiwibuild ones round the corner from those, when they were craned in, I thought they were offices, prefab things. Nope they're homes.
    Talked to a lady who was hired to help landscape and do various bits, she was not impressed with the quality, told me all sorts of things about the crap materials and quick and dirty "landscaping" they did.

And then they blame the builders....sigh.
    if you hire a builder and make him use cardboard, is it his fault when it comes apart?

Back of us the slumlord craned in 2 shacks, literally....he bought. we watched, hopefully as the builders ripped it apart...then watched them reclad in ply. They were not complimentary about his materials and other things he had done to them.

They are in the process of being painted black too...painters not too thrilled either. I did point out pink would bother me , black is OK considering don't own it (we get a good view of the rear most one).
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Haha, don't joke. They DO use polystyrene you know. Husband did some work on these new build terrace things in Waitakere, he had to drill through the outside one time, got his hole saw out, started it up, and it went through like a hot knife into butter. It was plastered polystyrene!!

thats EIFS cladding system aka leaky homes back in the 90's. works fine these days when done on a rain screen. however i doubt much is used these days due to its got such a bad rap that people have trouble selling the home.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    We lived in the polystyrene you threw out of the box so you could move in,
    Ha! Now I know you're not being to truthful here. Polystyrene hadn't been invented then. The only packing materials in those days were crunched up newspaper. So there!

Ming you, whatever it was in the box was placed in a large brown paper bag which my father threw out?

Ken.
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Wanderer

Sarcastic question. If homes from the early 80s to now might have increased 10 or 20 folds or something. Going forward are we going to see the same. Haha.

Yep polystyrene covered in plaster applied with a brush is the modern stucco. The company I work for refuse to use it as here with the weather extremes it would fail quickly.

For my own house I wanted a weatherboard look so went to Linea for less maintenance but hand nailed it all (no nailguns) so that I know it is fixed properly. We do a lot of baord and batten homes here but even those get affected by the weather within 10 years.

Nomad I see a reset happening in the next 10 years or so then you will be able to pickup a mortgagee sale when everyone realises they are in negative equity, I have seen it happen in the UK and it has to happen here at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    thats EIFS cladding system aka leaky homes back in the 90's. .
    No, these were places built after 2010.
    Ex-pctek

Yep modern Sh%$ stucco I would never own a home with it.

Wanderer

Had a thought last evening. We see more townhouses and terraced flats in suburbs now and of course apartments sprouting up in the CBDs. More regulation, harder to evict people, insulation and heating etc. It seems like other countries, moving towards longer term rentals with a focus on family security.

Even if Kiwibuild was successful it was a $600k home with a plot of small land.

they are game. most people refuse to built with it because of poor resale value.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Had a thought last evening. We see more townhouses and terraced flats in suburbs now and of course apartments sprouting up in the CBDs. More regulation, harder to evict people, insulation and heating etc. It seems like other countries, moving towards longer term rentals with a focus on family security.
    i think all its going to do is create more friction between landlords and tenants, simply because they have not fixed one of the main issues, and thats the short ownership time and consequently short tenancy time.
    thats all tied in with using housing to make money.
    until all parties are stopped from making income/profit from housing the problems will continue.
    even jacinda was to darn scared to do that.
    Tweak it till it breaks