Default Battery still not charging

Hi all, a while back I posted about my laptop battery not charging, here:
    https://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showth...blem-on-laptop

Since then, based on the suggestions in the post, I bought a new genuine battery. But I am still having the same problem even with that. Namely the power is plugged in, the laptop battery status says 'plugged in' but it's not charging at all.
    As this has happened with this brand new battery also, it must be some other problem.
    I already tried uninstalling / reinstalling the battery charging drivers.

Is there anything else I can try? Or is it most likely some hardware problem? If so, is this something that is posssibly reasonably easy and cheap to fix if I take it to a repair place?
    Or, considering the age of the laptop, about 5 or 6 years old, should I not ever bother trying to get it repaired? Even though it's old, it still does everything I need it to, so I don't really want to replace it unless there's no other reasonable option.

Thanks!

Default Re: Battery still not charging

Are you by any chance one of those that leave their laptop on 24/7?
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

No, in fact I'm the opposite, i mainly used it only when I was travelling for work, and otherwise it's turned off and not plugged in. I use my desktop at home.
    That's why when this first happened, I thought the battery had fully drained as I had not used it for many months, because I was not travelling for work because of COVID.

Just been through this exact problem.

The Laptop is an ASUS, thankfully still in warranty (only just) The battery wouldn't charge, did a RMA on it, it was discovered the Battery had failed and had damaged the motherboard at the same time, even with a new battery it still wouldn't charge, so they replaced the motherboard as well. Once this was done its now working perfectly and charging / Discharging as it should.

So it sounds I might have a motherboard issue. Mine is also an Asus but obviously way out of warranty.
    Is this something that is feasible / cost effective to repair or replace, or am I looking at buying a new one?

On The laptop I'm Referring to they kind of knew there was a problem when the new battery showed as 225% Charged when firing up for the first time after fitting (that's what the repairers told me)

Again Still in Warranty so ASUS replaced the board and now worked as it should (same install of Windows). The laptop would run fine previously on mains power only. This laptop was worth fixing as it was a gaming laptop, from memory about 2K new.

Repairing yours -- Depends on how much you want to spend. It may or may not be the motherboard.

Being 5-6 years old you may not get a new motherboard, so may have to get a 2nd hand one. Sometimes you can pick up cheap boards from places like Aliexpress, but being 2nd hand its pot luck sometimes if they are any good or not. Had one where the board I replaced, lasted another two years then that died as well.

What's the exact model Number of your Laptop ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chikara View Post
    So it sounds I might have a motherboard issue.
    or......the cable. Get a tech to check it first.
    Ex-pctek

"Is there anything else I can try? " Yes, clutching at straws though . Things you can try , unlikely to work (bios upgrade , reload Win , new power pack , new genuine batt)

"Or is it most likely some hardware problem? " Yes . Charging circuit failed

"If so, is this something that is posssibly reasonably easy and cheap to fix if I take it to a repair place?"
    They are very few places that can do this sort of component level repair , I only know of 2 in Ak that do actually repair motherboard faults & power / charging circuit faults (board level repairs)
    Other places will only swap out parts , ie will want to replace the motherboard

Define "cheap fix" :-)
    It will be in the $hundreds (unless you get lucky)

" 5 or 6 years old"
    It may not be worth the cost of fixing it , 5 year old laptops arnt worth a lot .
    If you do spend the $$ to fix it, its still 5 years old, and getting older .
    But also consider the cost of replacing it .

Can you just use it on mains power, do you need it to run off batts ?
    Last edited by 1101; 16-10-2020 at 09:02 AM.