Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Bad update Google Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    What a beautifully orchestrated sales pitch.

Is that your work or Microsoft's?

As for overlooking

I’m sorry, but the answer is stick with Firefox!
    Its not a sales pitch. If you actually looked you would see its FACT, been happening for a long time. Already said no ones trying to make you use it, that's your own twisted thinking, so look in the mirror - You'll see the problem

Firefox ?? Well that's your choice of course, but again if you look you will see that Firefox has dropped down the most popular Browser in the World. Chrome is 65.99% where as FF is at 4.09% (as of August 2020)

NOW think about it --- Edge is Based on Chrome -- So how does that Help MS in the Browsers. I Wont wait for a actual logical answer because I doubt you can work it out.

Changing to FF because Chrome is having a problem its only a temp workaround. Why not fix the actual Problem.

God help you when your Linux plays up - going by your thinking I guess moving to Apple then are you

Whats actually disappointing (but not surprising) is all the Lack of help for this Linux /Chrome Problem.

Personally not going to even try to help, to busy recovering a huge amount of data from a toasted Linux Server OS, the RAID going south has really buggered things. Care to help ?? 4 x 4 TB drives set in RAID 10 all gone AWOL.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 14-10-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Its not a sales pitch. If you actually looked you would see its FACT, been happening for a long time. Already said no ones trying to make you use it, that's your own twisted thinking, so look in the mirror - You'll see the problem

Firefox ?? Well that's your choice of course, but again if you look you will see that Firefox has dropped down the most popular Browser in the World. Chrome is 65.99% where as FF is at 4.09% (as of August 2020)

NOW think about it --- Edge is Based on Chrome -- So how does that Help MS in the Browsers. I Wont wait for a actual logical answer because I doubt you can work it out.

Changing to FF because Chrome is having a problem its only a temp workaround. Why not fix the actual Problem.

God help you when your Linux plays up - going by your thinking I guess moving to Apple then are you

Whats actually disappointing (but not surprising) is all the Lack of help for this Linux /Chrome Problem.

Personally not going to even try to help, to busy recovering a huge amount of data from a toasted Linux Server OS, the RAID going south has really buggered things. Care to help ?? 4 x 4 TB drives set in RAID 10 all gone AWOL.
    The answer isn't 42 it is actually Linux Mint18

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    The answer isn't 42 it is actually Linux Mint18
    Awhhh I See Mint 18 is old now, they are currently up to 20, and as stated on the Downloads site it has many bug fixes from previous versions. Then looking at the known Issues --

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

NOW think about it --- Edge is Based on Chrome

Whats actually disappointing is all the Lack of help for this Linux /Chrome Problem.

So what if FF is not the most popular? Linux isn't either but some like to use it.
    It's not about using the trendiest.
    Edge is actually built (now) on Chromium to be exact.

I'll pass. I have FF and Chrome already.

As for retreiving data from a raid, nope, no-one can help with that....why wasn't it backed up?
    Ex-pctek

I’m trying to imagine Linux users “Improving their Browsing Experience” by installing “Edge” and forfeiting all their privacy so Microsoft can monitor what they are doing and bombard them with appropriate and other adds.
    Google are worse than MS regarding privacy & data collection. Much worse , then they go oooops that was a mistake when caught (past history)
    Google have done things that you or I would literally get arrested for

I also cant image many Linux users wanting to install Edge . It would be like asking them if they wanted to install Bing

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post

As for retreiving data from a raid, nope, no-one can help with that....why wasn't it backed up?
    Currently doing the recovery, all 5TB of it.

Why it wasn't backed up -I'm fixing someone else's stuff up.

The Original person who installed the Linux Server, set up the RAID etc, didn't feel it needed it as Linux Doesn't give problems (that's what I was told by the business).

Apparently the guy who installed it went on a short holiday to the USA approx. two years ago and has never been seen or heard from again. So for the last couple of years its been running fine, until there was a power cut at sometime during the night, the UPS ran out of battery and the server crashed- causing all sorts of damage. One other place looked at it, and was told its not recoverable. They found me in the phone book and asked if I can help, I told them I'm not as good with Linux but can look if they wanted.

Tried to use Linux to look at the drives, unable to mount them Now using one of my Windows PC with some rather expensive Recovery software -- So far looks like The data is slowly recovering, wont know for another day or two as its got approx 25 est hours of time remaining ( but is showing lots of found files) - if not then I'll send all the drives to a Data recovery Business in Auckland that I sometimes use.

Edited: Bugger times just jumped to 32 hours remaining
    Last edited by wainuitech; 15-10-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Google are worse than MS regarding privacy & data collection. Much worse , then they go oooops that was a mistake when caught (past history)
    Google have done things that you or I would literally get arrested for

I also cant image many Linux users wanting to install Edge . It would be like asking them if they wanted to install Bing
    Yes Google are no saints either, but as the old saying goes, "Two Wrongs don't make a Right".

HERE'S a clip that may interest some. Not sure what to make of it myself.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Yes Google are no saints either, but as the old saying goes, "Two Wrongs don't make a Right".

Very interesting clip ... reminds me of the "Person of Interest" TV show from a few years ago. A few more surveillance cameras around and we wouldn't be so far off that scenario.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

from the vid
    "we know google is tracking us, we agreed to it when we setup our phones"

The problem is us.
    We agreed to this.
    We let this happen.
    I remember when the big IT companies secret data collection first started to be found out . There was outrage, it was called out for being spyware .
    Companies were named & shamed for doing it.

Now its just , meh , OK, dont care .
    Only ourselves to blame for allowing it , agreeing to it. It will only get worse .

The saga continues. I replaced Mint Cinnamon 18.3 with a Macrium Image made about two months ago. Everything was fine until I did an update last night. I thought it would be Ok. Now both Chrome & Chromium are doing the same thing. If you go to full screen the videos stop playing, but the sound continues, and the bottom of the screen is blank! Also the screen is dark, Poms have sun tans Firefox works fine, screen is normal. I have v20 in another laptop running the same version of Chrome 86.0.4240.75 with no problems. v20 does not support Chromium. Could it be that its the Chromium which is causing the trouble? I cant think of any other reason why Mint 20 no longer has it in the repository. I will try.
    Last edited by mzee; 23-10-2020 at 04:36 PM.