Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs down Bad update Google Chrome

My Linux Mint 18.3 updated Google Chrome today to version 86.0.4240.75.1. It then crashed repeatedly. I reinstalled it direct from Google, and it still crashed. I then reinstalled it with the Beta version, and it wouldn't display a full screen. I also have Chromium, Firefox.& Pale Moon, they work perfectly, so I guess I will leave it for the next update.

Default Re: Bad update Google Chrome

It didn't update, you chose to allow it to.
    It's not Windows..........

I update by going into updates, ticking the ones I want and applying it.

Roll it back. That would work.
    Ex-pctek

Just opened mine, went to About Chrome, then it updated on its own to Version 86.0.4240.75. Seems stable enough, no crashing, maybe you just had a bad download/install.

Mind you this is a windows PC - Since you are using Linux it may be completely different. I'll fire up Linux and see if it reproduces the problem.

Adding to above -- Just installed Version 86.0.4240.75 On Linux Mint 20. Running fine.

Waiting for the next version may not be to wise as if something is Corrupted, simply installing over the top sometimes wont fix it. The Current may need to be completely uninstalled or as Piroska advised roll it back.

I havent experience any bad thing with google, but thanks for the ehads up.

I installed an old version of Chrome, must be about a year old, and it worked fine, excepting for Google advising me to update it. I did an update and it is now useless again. In full screen it only shows half the screen. If I click on the top of the screen it shows a full page, then Crashes. I won't bother with it until a new version is available. I find Chromium to be very good, so may stay with it. I have Firefox set up for Australia so its VPN is permanently on.

Chrome 86.0.4240.75 is working fine here in Kubuntu 18.04.

I use Chromium in Manjaro because it is in the main repositories and updates very quickly while Chrome is in the AUR repository and isn't a straightforward update process at all. Explanation for the curious: The package manager AUR helper (I'm using "Yay") downloads the .deb version of Chrome, takes it apart and re-assembles it to suit the Arch based distro then the package manager (pacman) updates it. It's quite an involved process and takes a while on my old laptop which is why I decided to switch to Chromium in Manjaro.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Chrome Just Eats Ram and Also It has Very Bad Updates. I am using Microsoft Edge, That Is Chromium Based. You must try it.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    I installed an old version of Chrome, must be about a year old, and it worked fine, excepting for Google advising me to update it. I did an update and it is now useless again. In full screen it only shows half the screen. If I click on the top of the screen it shows a full page, then Crashes. I won't bother with it until a new version is available. I find Chromium to be very good, so may stay with it. I have Firefox set up for Australia so its VPN is permanently on.
    Try turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome settings (Advanced) as it seems to be a problem in many Linux distros. I have it turned off here in Kubuntu. This Reddit thread might interest you: Why is hardware acceleration so bad this happens?
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Quote Originally Posted by toxejep219 View Post
    Chrome Just Eats Ram and Also It has Very Bad Updates. I am using Microsoft Edge, That Is Chromium Based. You must try it.
    Edge will not work in Linux and even in Windows I do not use Edge