Default MB recommendations for Intel Coffee Lake Core i9 9900KF

Helping a friend to build his new gaming PC.

He told me that his friend told him that Asus motherboards are no good for this CPU!!

How true ?

What Brand & Model of MB and RAM do you experts recommend? Preferably under $500 .

Default Re: MB recommendations for Intel Coffee Lake Core i9 9900KF

https://levvvel.com/best-motherboard-for-i9-9900k/

Looking at the Asus ROG Maximus XI Gene Z390 -- The CPU Supported lists the CPU Mentioned.

If $500 is the budget then best lower expectations or increase Budget.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-10-2020 at 08:33 PM.

wainuitech, have you come across any negative feed back about Asus MB?

Here's the exact words from my friend:

" .. my friend says that asus cheaped out on the voltage regulator module on the motherboards for this series so they are not recommended.."

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comme...amage_control/

If increase the budget, what would you recommend?
    Last edited by bk T; 11-10-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Never built any computers with the New i9, but all motherboards are the same, some have faults while others have no problems. Best thing to do is select a motherboard(s) look up several reviews / tests and see what are presented.

You cant also go by 1 review. The link above goes to reddit -- heres another, same site that says the RVM is not that bad. https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/co...iew_matx_z390/ So whose correct ??

You cant really go by " A friend" saying something is bad, did they hear it from another friend who knows someone who brought something from Trademe who said its only been used once...... etc.

As for Budgets -- thats really upto the person. Along with What components. Thats a question I ask all the time, some say can only go to X amount while others price is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    all motherboards are the same, .
    have to disagree with that.
    Some use chinese components, some use Japanese.

Always stuck with the 3 yr warranty + japanese components stuff when building myself. And most were ASUS or Gigabyte.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    have to disagree with that.
    Some use chinese components, some use Japanese.

Always stuck with the 3 yr warranty + japanese components stuff when building myself. And most were ASUS or Gigabyte.
    Well I'll disagree with you on your comment.

When I was saying all motherboards are the same MEANING you can always get a few duds. All motherboards, doesn't matter who the manufacture will not always be 100% all of the time.

I've had bad Gigabyte, ASUS and other brands, some were DOA others failed during setup. Take for example when I was working at Quay computers years ago - there were a couple of batches of Asrocks, they had a 50% failure rate, if you built the computer (and I was building 6 -8 each day) and it booted up, then it was generally OK, others, press the power button and while the fans started that was it, wouldn't even POST, swap out the board and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

When I was saying all motherboards are the same MEANING you can always get a few duds.

Take for example when I was working at Quay computers years ago - there were a couple of batches of Asrocks, they had a 50% failure rate, .

True. But I worked fora wholesaler once, doing RAs among other things. We had a database on it....anything over 5% we ditched.

ASUS and Gigabyte were under. PCChips, etc were the worst at a much, much higher fail rate.
    Asrock, yep, wouldn't use them.

As I said, I'd stick with the good ones.
    Ex-pctek

Has he already gone with that CPU? personally I think for most people buying an i9 or Ryzen 9 for gaming is throwing money away that would be better spent on the graphics card.
    The i7 10700F or Ryzen 7 3700X are currently as high as I would personally go regardless of budget, and bear in mind the Ryzen 5xxxx series are just about to release and have reportedly closed the small performance lead intel had.

I believe most gamers would be perfectly happy with the gaming performance of an i5 or Ryzen 5, going up to an i7 / Ryzen 7 might make sense for people chasing high refresh rates, and the i9 / Ryzen 9 is just more CPU power than most gamers will ever use. Yeah it might give you another 6-12 months of gaming at the end of it's life in a few years time, maybe.

Maybe I'm just old and cynical though, I also don't see the point of overclocking when stock gives you all the performance you need already. A Ryzen 7 3700X with a Stock cooler is a much better deal than any Intel equivalent IMHO.

On a more relevant note, Asus and Gigabyte make great boards and are generally very reliable. I agree with Wainui though, always research the model you are looking at regardless of brand.
    The voltage regulator concerns are more to do with overclcocking and I already mentioned my thoughts on that. My guess is having chosen the best gaming CPU available (performance wise, not bang for buck wise) your friend is going all out.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070