curmudgeon

Default Best phone for marginal reception

As the title suggests I am looking for suggestions for a mid priced phone, preferably Spark, that will operate satisfactorily in a cell phone shadow area, such that I don't have to run up to the street for adequate reception. Further to my original question are cell phone signal boosters worthwhile?

Default Re: Best phone for marginal reception

Quote Originally Posted by tutaenui View Post
    As the title suggests I am looking for suggestions for a mid priced phone, preferably Spark, that will operate satisfactorily in a cell phone shadow area, such that I don't have to run up to the street for adequate reception. Further to my original question are cell phone signal boosters worthwhile?
    Are you really wedded to spark? I don't know if they've got wifi calling coming, but 2Degrees has it....so instead of pulling via the cellphone tower when in wifi range, it using the broadband, so it helps if you have bad reception. But I think you need something at least like an iphone 7 and there's a couple of others that also do wifi calling.

Vodafone used to sell a device called a suresignal that would make a mini cell tower in your house from your broadband as well.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Same problem here. I have to sit my phone in a certain place on windowsill. Then it works 95% of time

I'd not studied the problem lately but after reading your post I found this website: https://www.signalboosters.co.nz/
    First I've heard of them but lots of reviews.
    Anyone with first hand experience?

Article on Wifi Calling

The Motorola Brick.
    Way back when....we were in the dead zone and it was the only thing that could get a signal....the ones who lived there would go up the hill, climb the tree etc...and still fail most of the time.
    The brick always worked.

On a more practical note, in Southland Spark network worked far better than Vodafone (which 2 degrees uses).
    Ex-pctek

Modern Tech LOL You still cant beat the old Land Line Phones, even connected to VOIP for around homes, then use the Mobiles for when away.

Our main phone is in the Office and out in the workshop is the extension, can easily take either phone anywhere on our property and they work 100%

Perhaps Vodafone has celltowers closer to you that might give better reception at your house?

At my house , one cell provider is unusable inside (reception issue) , the other provider works just fine inside .

curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Perhaps Vodafone has celltowers closer to you that might give better reception at your house?

At my house , one cell provider is unusable inside (reception issue) , the other provider works just fine inside .
    Good suggestion, but unfortunately the smart electricity meter doesn't work here either and I understand it uses the Vodafone network. We actually have a land line but some people insist ringing us on the cellular network.

Quote Originally Posted by psycik View Post
    Are you really wedded to spark? I don't know if they've got wifi calling coming, but 2Degrees has it....so instead of pulling via the cellphone tower when in wifi range, it using the broadband, so it helps if you have bad reception. But I think you need something at least like an iphone 7 and there's a couple of others that also do wifi calling.

Vodafone used to sell a device called a suresignal that would make a mini cell tower in your house from your broadband as well.
    I think to use WiFi calling on 2D you'll have to buy a new one from them or one that can have the 2D Software loaded on to it. It could turn out quite expensive if you have to buy new phones.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Try to get a phone that supports every network for Spark.

The hardest band to get on most phones is Band 28/700MHz yet this seems to be the one used in rural areas.

As long as your phone supoorts all 3, that will literally be your best choice.