Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fibre is activated - but now I appear to have two phone lines!

I connected everything up this morning and it is working fine. I have a phone plugged into the router, so that is using VOIP (I assume). However I have other phones on the house - not satellites of the connected one, and they seem to be still working as well! That was demonstrated when I was talking to Voyager about the issue on one phone, and dialled and spoke to another number on one of the other phones. Also if some phones my landline number, both the VOIP and the other phones all ring.
    My assumption is that at some point the old copper will be deactivated and the other phones will stop working - any opinions?
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Default Re: Fibre is activated - but now I appear to have two phone lines!

My assumption is that at some point the old copper will be deactivated and the other phones will stop working - any opinions?
    More than likely what will happen.

OFTEN its the other way around - the VOIP is not activated and the old land line gets disconnected, then its catch 22 you have to call your ISP and get them to turn on the Phone options. God help you if you dont have a mobile

So when the copper gets disconnected, how do I get the other phones in the house to work again? My neighbour appears to have a splitter in the line from the router VOIP port where one line goes to a phone and one goes into the original wall jack point. Would that be right? Is that just a standard splitter, or s it something special?

When our fibre was connected I had this problem, as I had the phone beside the modem plugged into one port, and the original network, with two other phones, into another. These did no work in that you couldn't pick up another phone after answering one. This was solved by putting a splitter into one port, and plugging both cables into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucem View Post
    When our fibre was connected I had this problem, as I had the phone beside the modem plugged into one port, and the original network, with two other phones, into another. These did no work in that you couldn't pick up another phone after answering one. This was solved by putting a splitter into one port, and plugging both cables into it.
    That's good to know. Is there any thing special about the splitter, do you know? I have a very old one that has two sockets labelled Line and ADSL (shows how old it is!). Is that gong to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    So when the copper gets disconnected, how do I get the other phones in the house to work again?
    The simple way is to buy a phone with handsets. Use the handsets in the other location, the main one being plugged into the router or ont.

Or, the hard way, get the tech back to wire all the jacks back to the ONT
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    The simple way is to buy a phone with handsets. Use the handsets in the other location, the main one being plugged into the router or ont.

Or, the hard way, get the tech back to wire all the jacks back to the ONT
    I could buy more phones, but I don't want to do that unless I have to. I'm going to try the splitter first.

The splitter (that may not be the correct name), is a simple one with a single male telephone jack on one end, and two female sockets on the other end. It is about 40mm long, the modem is a Fritzbox 7490, and according to the manual the sockets are Rj11. and use the Fon 1 or Fon 2 sockets on the modem.

Thanks for all the responses. This is where I'm at at the moment:
    • I have had a line from the router to one phone, and that all works fine
    • Since lunchtime today, none of my other phones work - which I kinda expected.
    • I found a very old splitter with RJ11 ports labelled "line" and "ADSL" (shows you how old it is). I connected it so that a line goes from the router to the splitter and from one phone to the splitter, and the output from the splitter goes into the wall. That gave me a dial tone on all the phones, but when I received a call the sound quality was awful on all the phones. So I disconnected all that and went back to what was working, but the sound quality on the original phone has gone down.

Opinions?

Computer Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. This is where I'm at at the moment:
    • I have had a line from the router to one phone, and that all works fine
    • Since lunchtime today, none of my other phones work - which I kinda expected.
    • I found a very old splitter with RJ11 ports labelled "line" and "ADSL" (shows you how old it is). I connected it so that a line goes from the router to the splitter and from one phone to the splitter, and the output from the splitter goes into the wall. That gave me a dial tone on all the phones, but when I received a call the sound quality was awful on all the phones. So I disconnected all that and went back to what was working, but the sound quality on the original phone has gone down.

Opinions?
    You need to make sure the old incoming copper line is disconnected from the internal phone jacks otherwise you'll have issues.
    If you can find the external termination point you could try opening that up and disconnecting the incoming line, usually a black cable with 4 wires in it - Usually red, white, yellow & black.
    Otherwise one of your internal phone jacks may be where the incoming copper line is so you'd need to unscrew them and have a look.