Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Image you PC

Default Re: Image you PC

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Used to do regular images but since Win10 is so easy to reinstall I don't bother just back up all my data and since I now use a laptop when it dies it will just get replaced.
    There's more to it than just the O/There's all the customisation you have done, the extra stuff you have installed (that needs registry and bits in the system folders etc...
    Who wants to have to do all that again as well?
    Ex-pctek

CliveM
    Obviously I had not had my coffee fix when I wrote that.
    PS Did you use your Abacus to do the Math LOL
    PPS there was not as much smog way back then compared to these days
    Last edited by Jedsdad; 08-10-2020 at 09:06 AM.

I've been using Acronis True Image since 2009. Updated to 2012 and it save my butt many times especially when some of the Windows 10 preview installs screwed up. Update to the 2019 version a couple of months ago . So far I haven't needed to use it.. (crossing his fingers)
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

I tried using the Media Creation Tool to create a new Windows on my spare HDD about 3 times but it failed each time.
    I got the message: "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install windows please restart the installation"
    I even tried a different USB Port (just in case) I did not have another Flash Drive (since bought 2 more from PB Tech, 32GB so cheap)

In the end I downloaded the ISO and then mounted it as I have a DVD RW Drive installed though did not put a DVD in it.
    Just copied the files into the HDD with a now configured Drive letter and booted from that.
    It installedOK and I was able to create a new local account OK.

I was not happy with what I saw, only one partition, I did not see any other partitions created like on my NVME.
    Also when the PC restarted I did not know which was the NVME Windows and HDD windows.
    Later I read you could change the boot order using msconfig. You could also change the delay time before boot up

I then decided to delete the HDD Windows but still had the Dual Boot option showing so did a Macrium Reflect Restore as mentioned in another Post and all now back to normal.

Still considering my next move.

Not quoting the whole post so
    In the end I downloaded the ISO and then mounted it as I have a DVD RW Drive installed though did not put a DVD in it.
    What you ended up with is exactly what should happen. To mount a ISO you have to have it running in an existing OS, so to install then onto another HDD, you basically have created a dual boot. You wont see all the same partitions on the new install (HDD) as per the NVME since the boot partition is on that. Its exactly the same thing as if you installed linux on one partition and Windows on another - Dual boot. To Have the same partitions on the HDD you need to remove the NVME, and boot from either a DVD / USB drive.

So back on Subject -- Good that the image that you made with Macrium was done, saves a lot of hassles, and the program is easy to use. (and works) I use it all the time to image customers drives then simply mount the image (sometimes unbootable) to recover their data. Or as I have been doing a LOT of lately upgrading the original HDD to SSD's.

I have used both Macrium Reflect Free and Minitool Partition Wizard Free for cloning, both work fine.
    You can also use the Minitool for creating, changing or moving the partitions when required, I have done this a few times

I use Macrium Reflex 7 free because it has no problems with multibooting, windows, linux, anything on the drive. Also you can backup a single partition, also able to mount the image as a virtual drive in a windows machine. You can move partitions by dragging them to another position. It repairs the windows boot loader. It has never failed.