Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You all alright?

Just wondering how the members of our “Green Religious Sect” are coping with current "Global Warming".

Predicted rise of 0.6ºC wasn’t it?

I won’t sleep tonight.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Default Re: You all alright?

One thing I've noticed is, on the news, about the glaciers melting as if it's something new. I recall when visiting a glacier a few years back, that they had pictures on the viewing platform, of the glacier over the years of the twentieth century. It showed instances of the glacier advancing and retreating over the years and that was before global warming was in vogue, but those years were a bit before my time so I don't know what the explanation was.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Climate change isn't cold snaps. Climate change isn't necessarily just us either, the planet warms and cools, although we do affect things, chopping down the jungles, concreting over etc.

As for the crappy weather, Hawkes bay has escaped it mainly. Bit of wind yesterday, not major, and cooler...but not cold at all.
    Ex-pctek

VoidMaster

BM, I posted this in another thread but you must not have seen it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BM & Friends.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	10525
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

So much scaremongering over warming.
    getting a bit of warming is not the same as destroying the planet.
    The planet was very much warmer in the past , and life thrived . It was also very much colder in the past and life struggled.
    Even in human past , the planet was very much warmer . We know because crops were once grown in regions now TOO COLD for those crops

The sea level will rise so slowly that we will easily adapt.
    The sea once levels rose appox 60ft in human past , thats why so many ancient settlements are now under water . We coped .

Its not the end of the world. We will adapt .
    Many species will die off, other species will thrive . Thats been happening since day 1 .
    As the suns gets older & hotter it will fry the planet completely in a few hundred million years anyway , thats the end of the world .

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    So much scaremongering over warming.
    getting a bit of warming is not the same as destroying the planet.
    The planet was very much warmer in the past , and life thrived . It was also very much colder in the past and life struggled.
    Even in human past , the planet was very much warmer . We know because crops were once grown in regions now TOO COLD for those crops

The sea level will rise so slowly that we will easily adapt.
    The sea once levels rose appox 60ft in human past , thats why so many ancient settlements are now under water . We coped .

Its not the end of the world. We will adapt .
    Many species will die off, other species will thrive . Thats been happening since day 1 .
    As the suns gets older & hotter it will fry the planet completely in a few hundred million years anyway , thats the end of the world .
    Well said!

It would appear that the average human just has to have something to be afraid of and also somebody to save them from it. As soon as one potential catastrope is proven to be unfounded another is invented to scare the unthinking.

I just put the warming planet down to all the bluster spouted by B.M and one or two others

For all your consideration:

1913: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SY Aurora.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	10528

100 years later: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ice-breaker.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	10529

HERE

I rest my case.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Show B.M. a picture of an iceberg and he becomes positively orgasmic, and just when I thought that the scholarly discussion of global warming in this forum had died away. Look, how about producing some solid arguments to show that increasing amounts of heat absorbent gases in the atmosphere will not bring about an increase in temperature.

If that proves a bit difficult, then demonstrate that an increase in global temperature of a couple of degrees will have little or no detectable effect - opinions do not count. And just to be clear, a late spring cold snap in Otago does not qualify as 'global'.

Have a look at the five documentaries about the effect of predicted global warming on NZ, that are on this site.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/climate/

They are each about 10 minutes long.