Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Windows 10 mail sync

Hotmail or outlook.com does indeed use imap

Update:
    Did DISM check successfully... shut down, drained all power and restarted.
    Mail is working straight away, at least for now.

Tempting fate, I've composed an email which sits in drafts with 4 pics. They are within the email body not attachments. I'll let it sit for some days and try force it to error.

Another piece of info turned up from support.microsoft.com
    In order to add your email account to Outlook, Outlook on the web, Outlook.com, or the Mail and Calendar apps for Windows 10, you'll need several pieces of information including the type of account, the incoming and outgoing server names, and the SSL and port settings.
    IMAP settings for Hotmail:
    Server: outlook.office365.com

Port: 993

Encryption: SSL/TLS
    I find no place to check or enter these. Memory says it's never requested this info in any of the times I've re-installed Mail.

Thanks for the thoughts team!

Yep, you guessed it, Mail did not find my new emails this morning first thing. So I decided to see how long it would take to come right on its own.. I left the window open in my #2 monitor. It took about 15min before the emails came through. So, a bit annoying when you're in a hurry.

Suspiciously I think the problem could be all or mostly 1st thing in the morning when the PC has been off all night. Could there be something to the thought?

I recall fixing some email issues back when I was using Windows Live Mail. The fix was to untick Fast Startup. This is also the current setting now.

Next I'll try item #9. Reinstall. At least most of the time I've used advanced options in Apps and Features for reset/uninstall for this in the past.

DONT use imap with MS products and services . just asking for issues .

use MS Active sync
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-3f9a33166c60

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    DONT use imap with MS products and services . just asking for issues .

use MS Active sync
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-3f9a33166c60
    The Win 10 mail app works perfectly for me as set up following the guide 1101 has referenced.

So, this morning Mail did not find my email straight away. It found them within half an hour but was still "hunting". It took a restart of Mail to get it to realize it was in fact up to date.

Next I'll try ActiveSync.
    Going to Advance setup>Exchange ActiveSync... Question: what entry do I put for Domain and Server?

Thanks

Have you actually checked the Sync settings in the mail App ?? If not - Open mail, bottom left click on the Cog (settings), top right "Manage Accounts", select your account On the window that opens click on "Change mailbox Sync Settings" - Below are the default settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mail Defaults.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	10535

You shouldn't have to use Active Sync, I have several accounts and all work perfectly. Mind you only 1 uses the windows Mail, the rest use Outlook 2019.

The mail App may not actually be the problem, there could be some other cause.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

The mail App may not actually be the problem, there could be some other cause.
    MS is still having issues .
    "User Impact: Users may be unable to access their email."
    https://portal.office.com/servicestatus

If you setup a/c in Win Mail a/c automatically rather than manually, it should default to Activesync for hotmail/outlook.com ( should )

Plenty of other email apps you could try , thats the first step to try & see whats causing the issue .
    Install emclient or Thunderbird & see if that works any better for you. Could be a weird MSMail bug , or could be some other issue (internet/wifi etc)

Yes and currently it's set just like your attached pic. There was a tip from Mr.Google to switch to the 15minute setting but that didn't work.

Would I do a Windows reset? It's a lot of work to round up all my programs again but then again, trying possible solutions is also very time consuming.

That MS issue is only for the last couple of days. My Mail issue is at least 2 years. I kept thinking, the next update will sort it but no...

I've re-installed Mail maybe 10 times over these years but have always chosen the first option rather than advanced. Puzzled about ActiveSync...

I have tried EmClient but now I can't remember what the specific issue was and why I went back to Mail.

Another thought is I'm behind CGNAT here. Could that be interfering? Am thinking not because once it syncs, it's ok for the day