Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Windows 10 mail sync

Been battling with W10 mail for quite some time and been studying. Have tried reset, change sync settings etc. Works for a while but eventually Mail fails to sync again. Some of the time, simply restarting Mail sorts it, other times I've had to log off/reboot. Recently updated to ver 2004 but the situation didn't improve.
    At one stage I tried another email program but got frustrated and uninstalled it.
    AFAIK, the problem starts once Windows boots, sometimes Mail works as it should, other times it takes a while, then there's the time/s when it needs rebooting. I wondered if the initial starting of Mail could be delayed and whether that would fix it?
    Keen to hear any solutions please, thanks.

Sandy Bridge i5
    SSD
    64bit Home 10
    Linked inbox 2 accounts

Default Re: Windows 10 mail sync

There can be many reasons its playing up, just to name a few, time set wrong, system corruptions, internet problems, some program installed clashing ------

Have a read of the following, theres quite a few options. https://www.support.com/how-to/how-t...ows-mail-12860

You may want to jump straight to Number 7 in the list, then work through 8 & 9 as well.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 26-09-2020 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks Wainui

While I ran SFC, I went through the other tips. I found in Sync your settings, the passwords had a remark requiring a security code to verify. So I did that.
    SFC didn't find anything.

Reboot and it's working. We'll see if it stays working...

It is my first time I encountred this one too, I wish you will get the right solution.

So far so good, but it has only had 3 starts.

I'll wait till it errors before I continue with method 8 and 9...

There is another problem Mail does on occasion. It loses pics in email drafts. Quite often I compose an email over a week or 2, then suddenly one or more pics disappear. There'll be an empty box with a red "X" (or similar). I've learnt to add pics at the last minute before sending as my workaround but the behaviour is annoying.
    Where does Windows-10-Mail keep such pics and why does the link get broken?

Thanks!

Sounds like imap sync issues . ??

Try another email app , one that works better with imap.
    Thunderbird , eM Client etc

Who is your email provider / host ?

VoidMaster

If it has the option, like in Word, don't copy/paste the picture rather use "Insert".

I don't use Windows Mail so this is just a possible suggestion.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

So, this morning Mail decided to be contrary. It was showing no new email so I click "Sync this view". It began with the moving row of dots from left to right. Nothing was refreshing so after a restart of Mail I let it sit. About half an hour later Mail "found" my new mail.
    I shut down the PC at 11am and started up again at 2pm. Mail is immediately working fine again. I suppose this means it's intermittent, it works most of the time (which really isn't good enough).

Both my linked email accounts are Hotmail. Incidentally, if I go to Outlook.com and log in there, it works even while Mail is giving grief. Does this prove or disprove anything? Am not familiar with IMAP details.

Pic problem: 99% of the time I use "Insert" over "copy and paste" so this definitely occurs with Insert.

Will proceed to try the other possible fixes. Have tried at least some of those already but won't hurt to be thorough and run through them again. I did try eM client last year but can't remember why I got rid of it.

I assumed you were using gmail or similar .
    MS Mail shouldnt use imap for Outlook.com/hotmail : can anyone confirm this ?
    Check the settings to make sure its not using imap .

MS have been have major issues with 365 exchange email today , and outlook.com email
    "Title: We're investigating a potential issue affecting Outlook.com"

You may have to wait for MS fix their email server issues before try to fix your sync issues
    Last edited by 1101; 29-09-2020 at 03:32 PM.

I can't find anything to suggest it's using imap

Found this at microsoft support:
    Check your advanced mailbox settings
    If you have a Google, Yahoo! Mail, iCloud, IMAP, or POP3 account, check the settings in the advanced mailbox settings to make sure they're configured to your email provider's specification. If you're using an Outlook.com, Microsoft 365, or Exchange account, you won't have advanced mailbox settings unless the account was set up using advanced setup.

There doesn't appear to be any advanced mailbox setting to be found.