Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Chocolate Fish...........

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Think about it for a minute - you have the knowledge and experience from working in IT. What do you think the chances of someone with no clues would have of doing a reinstall, Default setup and not losing any thing ??

One I had here was a server running a REAL Linux OS designed more for servers, not the toy Mint versions, Server is HP ProLiant, .

Having played around with older O/Ss and Windows for ages didn't make me an expert with Linux.
    And then there is my friend.
    She forgot her password. Rather crucial for Linux.
    I didn't even know how to get around that, rang guru who gave me some involved instructions. Rang her, explained over phone, and yes she got it.

No it was nothing like doing that on a Windows system. She has zero IT experience and isn't good using a PC.

As for REAL Linux vs toy mint...so Win10 Home isn't real either, only Server Windows?
    That's a bit silly.

And why wasn't the Linux server backed up? IT's not hard......no more than doing the same for a windows one...then it would have been a simple restore and no need to start over.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post

As for REAL Linux vs toy mint...so Win10 Home isn't real either, only Server Windows?
    That's a bit silly.

And why wasn't the Linux server backed up? IT's not hard......no more than doing the same for a windows one...then it would have been a simple restore and no need to start over.
    Windows home is a cut down version (always has been), Had that the other week, There was a really odd printer driver problem. Knew how to fix it BUT the options weren't available in The Home edition, only Professional.

All my computers are backed up, But that's a easy out, Id rather fix if possible and then learn something along the way, but in the end I was tired of Linux so dumped it as it wasn't the 1st time it had played up, by your own admission its not the easiest of OS to fix unless you use it all the time. Don't think there are to many Linux Servers Running Desktop Mint

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Attachment 10497

Get the above response to the bash command Kame?

Start Skype on boot now turned off.
    I can answer this one: try "cp ~/.bashrc ~/.bashrc.bak"

Just a simple syntax error ... I thought you would have spotted that by now B.M?
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod J View Post
    I can answer this one: try "cp ~/.bashrc ~/.bashrc.bak"

Just a simple syntax error ... I thought you would have spotted that by now B.M?
    Good to see you still pop in Rod.

I'm afraid I have no idea what I'm doing, but here is where I'm at.

I did as you suggested and never got an error message so carried on with my interpretation of what Kame suggested and the Terminal looked like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whole Command Take1.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	10498

I restarted the computer, clicked on the Skype Icon, and up came Skype but the Camera was upside down still.

I then checked the desktop shortcut properties and got this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc Properties.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	10499

The full command is: env LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skypeforlinux %U

Tis in all Character building stuff.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Unfortunately the alias Kame suggested didn't work correctly because it contains the same syntax error at the end. To fix this try--

"echo "alias skypeforlinux = "env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l2convert.so /usr/bin/skypeforlinux %U"" >> ~/.bashrc"

But you may not need that anyway as you have found the desktop shortcut itself, so I would change the command line in the shortcut properties to be the same as above--

env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l2convert.so /usr/bin/skypeforlinux %U

... that is assuming this is the correct path to the "v4l2convert.so" file.

I did a locate on my Kubuntu system just now and I have two versions of that file, 32 bit and 64 bit--

here (32 bit):

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l2convert.so

and here (64 bit):

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l2convert.so

You may have to try one or the other, the 64 bit one definitely won't work on a 32 bit version of Mint but the 32 bit one might.
    Last edited by Rod J; 10-09-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

umm, I thought we were using v4l2convert.so?

And the command to try in the skype properties is just skypeforlinux

If that does not work using our alias then you place the other line into the command part.

At least kubuntu is similar enough to mint. I run Arch/Manjaro which can be quite different.

Anyways where I have used ~.bashrc they all should be ~/.bashrc and ~/.bashrc.bak respectively. Its just typing commands on a phone is not that easy to do and I would even expand the user so i could see the path was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    At least kubuntu is similar enough to mint. I run Arch/Manjaro which can be quite different.
    I'm in the process of switching to Manjaro just now. I've been running Manjaro KDE on my laptop for nearly two years and when Kubuntu 18.04 gets too old on my desktop PC I'll be installing Manjaro KDE on that too. I'm trialling btrfs on the laptop install and liking it so far, the Timeshift system backups are damn near instantaneous.

Take a bow Kame and Rod.

Kame for working out how to flip the camera image and Rod for making the whole thing work from the Desktop Shortcut.

PM me where to send the Chocolate fish guys, seeing Ive declared the fix was a draw.

Ohh, and Wainui, when can we expect the code/command to fix the same problem with Win10?
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Ohh, and Wainui, when can we expect the code/command to fix the same problem with Win10?
    Already told you that at the beginning of this thread, #17 to be precise. , Just google search for "asus laptop camera upside down windows 10" the Very 1st result, dated Feb 2020 has the fix.

Same reply told you how to put back the W7 Games your wife likes playing along with the download link.

So instead of mucking about for a week now, you could have sorted both problems in about 5 minutes (literally).

Just remember one thing, before you try with the smart remarks like the quote you better be damn sure I cant reply, and BTW if I don't know something I would say so.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-09-2020 at 02:27 PM.