Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Chocolate Fish...........

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Fail and corrupt? Fail how? Corrupt what?

I managed to kill mine back when it was still a new thing. By rnning some terminal commands. How and why it did what it did, I have no idea, neither does the guru who was helping me, and the one who gave me the commands.

However, I reinstalled the O/S and all was well, having the personal separate from system is a damn good idea as nothing on my side was affected at all. Logged in and there it all was again.
    You answered your own question. Think about it for a minute - you have the knowledge and experience from working in IT. What do you think the chances of someone with no clues would have of doing a reinstall, Default setup and not losing any thing ?? ( we both know how many actually read and understand options) Most wouldn't use a separate Partition for the OS.

One I had here was a server running a REAL Linux OS designed more for servers, not the toy Mint versions, Server is HP ProLiant, .

One day completely out the blue it wasn't showing on the LAN, connected a Monitor, and when booting just got endless scrolling text of all sorts, that ran over night still going

Didn't bother coming here to PF1 as the knowledge to supply an actual answer would be ZERO. Went onto a Linux forum where there were experts on This OS CentOS, no one could really help or even give suggestions apart from Reinstall from Fresh.

A guy I knew who Works with CentOS in his job had the computer for several days, even he couldn't sort it. Only suggestion was to lift data off with a live CD and reinstall. The data was on two partitions with only a few in the default locations.

In the end lifted the data, wiped partitions, installed Server2012R2 set it all back up again with the share's, remote desktop etc and its been going 100% for a couple of years now, never misses a beat.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 08-09-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Sorry there was an error in the line I gave you it should be:

env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skypeforlinux

If this line does not work, you need to make sure that the path is correct, as I would rely on autocomplete rather than typing this whole line out. It might be better if you do this in terminal:

locate v4l2convert.so

To make sure you see the full path needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    Sorry there was an error in the line I gave you it should be:

env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skypeforlinux

If this line does not work, you need to make sure that the path is correct, as I would rely on autocomplete rather than typing this whole line out. It might be better if you do this in terminal:

locate v4l2convert.so

To make sure you see the full path needed.
    Thanks a million Kame, that new line you gave worked fine if pasted into the terminal.

Now, I think from your posts you expected to have to load that line prior to Skype Starting and that is how it seems to be working.

The way Skype is set up on this computer is it loads at boot, but if I close it, run that command in terminal, and then open Skype again, it loads with the Camera up the right way.

Now, no other computer in the house loads Skype at boot, and it is totally unnecessary for this one to.

They all have desktop short-cuts as I can’t see the need to have Skype running in the background and doing “Who Knows”?

I guess what I’m looking at now is turning off the load at boot, and modifying the Skype desktop short-cut to load that command prior to Skype.

Anyway good progress has been made, many thanks.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

You do realize Skype is as MS as you can get :-) How we want skype to work is irrelevant .
    Perhaps Zoom instead, so China can spy on you & sell your user info instead of MS

I thought most people had abandoned Skype for Zoom ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    You do realize Skype is as MS as you can get :-) How we want skype to work is irrelevant .
    Perhaps Zoom instead, so China can spy on you & sell your user info instead of MS

I thought most people had abandoned Skype for Zoom ?
    Yes 1101, I am well aware that Microsoft purchased Skype a long time ago.

Why else would I be having this much trouble?

At the end of the day there are a lot of people, usually elderly, who have used Skype for years and can't, or don't want to, keep up with all the changes.

They are comfortable with their current environment and that is it.

Cheques and Internet Banking is another example.

However, this thread is about the "Wife's" computer, not mine, and all her friends are on Skype, so to change them all to Zoom would be a major, given a lot aren't even in the country and all in their twilight years.

Life isn't meant to be easy, but if I can get the Shortcut command for Skype changed to load the camera commands first, I think another problem is solved.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Skype may have an auto start in its settings that you can turn it off or Mint may have a boot manager.

and yes, you want to use that command for the desktop shortcut or any shortcut you use for skype but...

It may even be possible to alias skypeforlinux to actually use that command instead which may eliminate the need to edit the shortcut. (maybe?)

So try this in terminal do:

cp ~.bashrc ~.bashrc.bak

echo "alias skypeforlinux = "env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l2convert.so /usr/bin/skypeforlinux"" >> ~.bashrc

then do:

source ~.bashrc

and try the shortcut, it may or may not work and depends on the shortcut using skypeforlinux as the command to start it. If it works, great. If not we can revert the file back.

mv ~.bashrc.bak ~.bashrc

And just edit the shortcut to use the command.

Yes 1101, I am well aware that Microsoft purchased Skype a long time ago.

Why else would I be having this much trouble?
    Simple answer to that, its originally designed for Windows, and maybe out of pity they made a Linux Version so it can cover all OS's Like most linux tasks its not user friendly. Until Linux makes a GUI interface to do commands it never will be.

However, this thread is about the "Wife's" computer
    How do you intend to put back the Windows 7 Games that your wife played, only MS made those exact games, many have tried to replicate them but ALWAYS failed ?
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-09-2020 at 07:25 PM.

sorry I cannot seem to escape quotes here so the echo command is not right

it should have a single backslash before "env and after skypeforlinux""

echo "alias skypeforlinux = \"env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l2convert.so /usr/bin/skypeforlinux\"" >> ~.bashrc

Kames onto it with the Auto Start. Honestly thought that would be the 1st place to look - But never mind

Since the linux Version uses the older versions.

With Skype running and logged in,Simply go to Tools - Settings - General - Move the Slider that says Automatically Start Skype to OFF. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    Skype may have an auto start in its settings that you can turn it off or Mint may have a boot manager.

and yes, you want to use that command for the desktop shortcut or any shortcut you use for skype but...

It may even be possible to alias skypeforlinux to actually use that command instead which may eliminate the need to edit the shortcut. (maybe?)

So try this in terminal do:

cp ~.bashrc ~.bashrc.bak

echo "alias skypeforlinux = "env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l2convert.so /usr/bin/skypeforlinux"" >> ~.bashrc

then do:

source ~.bashrc

and try the shortcut, it may or may not work and depends on the shortcut using skypeforlinux as the command to start it. If it works, great. If not we can revert the file back.

mv ~.bashrc.bak ~.bashrc

And just edit the shortcut to use the command.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bashrc.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	10497

Get the above response to the bash command Kame?

Start Skype on boot now turned off.
    Last edited by B.M.; 10-09-2020 at 08:18 AM.