Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Chocolate Fish...........

For anyone who can sort this one.

SWMBO, who is a loyal Microsoft Disciple, recently had a Win10 upgrade that caused her considerable grief.

It wiped all her games, uninstalled her Add Blocker, and then bombarded her with Adds and Pop-Ups, but wait – turned her Webcam upside down on Skype.

It did all this after she had faithfully left it turned on as requested.

Well, the language was quite uncivil and divorce proceedings with Win10 were instigated immediately, and declared absolute within seconds.

Of course I found it too difficult to disguise my pleasure and got instructed to “Fix this F’n thing”.

Well, in the past the way to handle this was to reinstall the Win7 Driver for the Webcam, which I kept in its own folder on the Desktop.

Not this time, so as the song goes, “Don’t you ever let a chance go by oh Lord......” and Linux Mint was finally installed.

Well, all was good, until I got to Skype, and bugger me if the webcam wasn’t upside down still.

Ok, to get technical, the Webcam is only upside-down on Skype.

I know from previous problems that the Webcam in some Asus computers is mounted upside-down physically, to make it fit, and flipped by the software.

So, in short, Mint 19.3 presents the Camera correctly (Using Cheese) but is upside-down only on Skype.

For my $0.1c worth it is a problem between some Asus Laptops and Skype, but I stand to be corrected.

I see there has been a couple of earthquakes recorded locally, and I think the cause of them was SWMBO was talking to to her Sister on Skype and she was upside-down (on screen) and I just mentioned in the background how well she was doing taking up Yoga at the tender age of 75.

Sleeping Bag on the Sofa again tonight.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Default Re: Chocolate Fish...........

Try to:

locate v4l1compat.so

or:

locate v4l2convert.so

We just need to know where these libraries are located, may even require you to install libv4l# (1 or 2)

Anyways, you modify the shortcut to add:
    env LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/v4l1compat.so before the skype executable.

You can test in terminal first to see if it works doing:

env LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/v4l1compat.so skype(press tab to complete the skype name, skype4linux???)

Try the above but change v4l1compat to v4l2convert

I am on my phone, so I do apologise if this is confusing.

Just going to say this -- What the hell are you doing to your computers. I have Never ever seen anyone with so many problems.

The majority of problems with Windows 10 are outdated programs that are no longer compatible, people fiddle when they don't know what they are actually doing and make things unstable, one of the biggies is all sorts of malware installed or pirated programs.

About the only games I personally seen uninstalled in upgrades are the games that come with W7 (not supported by Microsoft anymore) , But they are easy as to put back.

As for the Skype problem, Skype has the option to flip the Video ( in Windows)

BUT since you installed linux --Found the following article, 6 years old about linux Skype Cheese exact same problem.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/5144...ll-upside-down

Also a video from 2018 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txZmTn6AWYg Asus camera upside down on skype Linux Mint 18

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    SWMBOrecently had a Win10 upgrade that caused her considerable grief.

It wiped all her games, uninstalled her Add Blocker, and then bombarded her with Adds and Pop-Ups, but wait – turned her Webcam upside down on Skype.
    That sounds like it affected her profile. Can't see how it would delete games....
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    That sounds like it affected her profile. Can't see how it would delete games....
    Installing mint will certainly have deleted those games permanently.

Sorry about the delay getting back guys but I’ve been invaded by escapees from Auckland.

Anyway, Kame:

Out of my depth here, but searched as you suggested and came up with 2 files for v4L2convert but none for v4L1compat.

Ok, I used a programe called “catfish” to find the files, a programme I have found handy in the past and the files found were in the File Folder would you believe.

I look forward to your appraisal of where we’re up to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v4L2.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	10491

Name:	v4L1.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	10492

Wainui:

HTML Code:
    Just going to say this -- What the hell are you doing to your computers. I have Never ever seen anyone with so many problems.

What ever are you talking about?

I have had very few problems since unceremoniously dumping Winwoes and nor have the friends I’ve changed over to Mint.

In fact, I still run Mint 18.0 and have no intention of changing it because I’m the last person you will find fixing something that isn’t broken.

I couldn’t possibly be accused of fiddling with Win10 because it is long gone for me.

However, you are correct that Win10 updates uninstall Win7 games, but why should I have to fix a Win10 stuff up.

You see the bottom line is Wifes computer worked perfectly with Win7 but not with Win10.

Mates computers worked ok with Win8 but not with Win10.

And as one well known Technician once said: Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Piroska:

HTML Code:

Don’t know, but Wainui is aware of it.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

What ever are you talking about?
    @ Bm I was referring to all the problems YOU have with Windows. W7 is a piece of crap compared W10. Maybe thats why Linux is so locked unless you have a good deal of knowledge - to many idiots cant use a OS as it was designed. I have had several people who had linux installed by someone who thought they knew what they were doing and asked for W10 to be reinstalled, as linux was not user Friendly and the continual request to enter passwords to do any bloody thing.

Had several as well WHEN linux turned turtle any advise help they got was to reinstall. I highly suspect WHEN you get get requests for help you wouldn't have a clue how to actually fix anything. And before you say linux doesn't have problems that's BS, I often get calls asking If i Know how to fix a Linux PROBLEM. ( Some I do some I dont). Point being the problem you are having right now.

Here's a FACT - Ever since W10 came out the actual amount of service calls relating to the actual OS has dropped by a good 75% compared to W7. W10 is way more stable. Most work these days is hardware related or sorting out problems with other programs NOT the OS.

As for your wife using W7 why not stick with it then ?? You DONT have to change to W10, in fact when it was first offered all you had to do was click NO. MANY people say they never got the options, well I can tell you from experience MANY people simply click on Accept and NEVER read what they are agreeing to, then say they never clicked anything. ( yeah right sure you didn't)

Even when being told -- One common example, when upgrading the latest Ccleaner you always click on the Custom setup, that way you can untick the default options they try to install. I've seen it 1st hand people don't listen, one person I told them to click customise on the every first window, and what do they do -- ignore it and use default.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 05-09-2020 at 08:11 PM.

catfish is fine. I really need to look into more GUI/user friendly methods but I feel it may require people to install these programs when I know everyone has the terminal.

Anyways, it seems there's 2 versions, the 32bit and 64bit and which one we use probably depends on whether skype is 32bit or 64bit. I also don't know what skype is called, I think it's called skypeforlinux so I'll use that name.

Anyways, in terminal do:

env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/libv4l2convert.so skypeforlinux

See if this fixes the orientation for the camera, if it does, just exit out. We now just need to edit the shortcut file for skype. Normally you locate the icon/shortcut for it, right click, edit launcher/application, change the command to look like the above line and that should be it. As long as skype is always ran from that icon it should work.

Not pointing fingers here as I use Linux and Win10, but I do remember a certain Mint convert saying Linux doesn't have faults so having to create and run a different shortcut for Skype that requires using Terminal to sort out really doesn't put Linux in the user friendly that said convert claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    catfish is fine. I really need to look into more GUI/user friendly methods but I feel it may require people to install these programs when I know everyone has the terminal.

Anyways, it seems there's 2 versions, the 32bit and 64bit and which one we use probably depends on whether skype is 32bit or 64bit. I also don't know what skype is called, I think it's called skypeforlinux so I'll use that name.

Anyways, in terminal do:

env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/libv4l2convert.so skypeforlinux

See if this fixes the orientation for the camera, if it does, just exit out. We now just need to edit the shortcut file for skype. Normally you locate the icon/shortcut for it, right click, edit launcher/application, change the command to look like the above line and that should be it. As long as skype is always ran from that icon it should work.
    Thanks Kame,

Just to tidy up a few loose ends the computer with the webcam upside-down is a "Asus K52F Series" laptop.

The OS is Mint 18 .

skypeforlinux is the correct product name and the version is 8.64.0.67. I wonder if the 64 indicates it is the 64bit version?

Running env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/libv4l2convert.so skypeforlinux from the Terminal produces the following;

Name:	Skype.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	10494

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by B.M.; 06-09-2020 at 05:03 PM.