Default Move boot drive to new hardware

Top marks to Win 10! After buying a second QHD monitor I found the HDMI link to my old PC's on-board video couldn't cope with the higher res. Didn't think of having to check HDMI ver!

Decided it was time to retire my 11 yr old big heavy home built PC, with 9 yr old mobo, to the knackers yard.

Bought an ex-lease Dell 9020 SFF with 250GB SSD with two Display Ports, fixing my monitor attachment problem. And, being so small, it fitted my desk so much better.

But, the best part, I didn't have to reinstall everything. The Win 10 that came with it was an OEM ver but my old one was Retail so was transferable. I had an image of my SSD drive but tested whether switching in a 'foreign' drive would work with an old C: drive from my wife's comp. After a couple of minutes it booted into windows with no drastic problems in evidence.

So, I then chucked my SSD in and it also fired up with no apparent problems. Over a day or so it went about downloading various more appropriate drivers and is running just fine. Win 10 (Insider version) activated no problem so all good with MS.

Call me a happy chappie!

There may be non-optimum drivers still there that should be fixed over time but the computer is functioning just fine now (as far as I am aware!). But, of course, any new install of windows has to find drivers as well.

Of course, some installations may be better served with a re-install, but it may be useful info for some.

Default Re: Move boot drive to new hardware

Yeah Windows 10 is far better at sorting out drivers than previous versions. It doesn't always work, but for most times it does.

Generally once it booted I always run system updates manually, this will bring through any newer Drivers, occasionally you have to go to the manufactures site and manually download them, but not often. (mainly Graphic Drivers full packages) or some sort of hardware.

Sometimes you have to reactivate it, but Microsoft have made several ways of doing that.

One thing I always do if changing hardware like you did was run from command prompt / Admin sfc /scannow Sometimes it comes back Clean other times it finds faults and fixes them, if it cant then there's always other commands you can do

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Top marks to Win 10! After buying a second QHD monitor I found the HDMI link to my old PC's on-board video couldn't cope with the higher res.
    Bought an ex-lease Dell 9020 SFF with 250GB SSD with two Display Ports, fixing my monitor attachment problem.

But, the best part, I didn't have to reinstall everything. tested whether switching in a 'foreign' drive would work with an old C: drive from my wife's comp. After a couple of minutes it booted into windows with no drastic problems in evidence.

So, I then chucked my SSD in and it also fired up with no apparent problems. O.
    Rather extreme, you could have just upgraded the old one.
    And it's not Win10, I used to do that often, winxp, 7 etc etc....
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Rather extreme, you could have just upgraded the old one.
    And it's not Win10, I used to do that often, winxp, 7 etc etc....
    You often find it hard to be positive in your replies. Perhaps you could reconsider your approach that seems to be to snipe as a first reaction.

I don't feel a need to justify myself but you didn't see I had a problem with the size of the old box in my small study. I am very capable of making the best decisions for myself, thank you.

Thanks, WT, for your always positive response!

No integrity violation found.

This image has undergone many years of Insider (Dev) updates and has survived well so reckon not too much wrong in there.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    You often find it hard to be positive in your replies.
    That's how you have chosen to see it.
    I am pointing out it's not a win10 thing.

And people can have opinions, doesn’t have to be a cheerleading team always. If you wanted a smaller PC great, but you said it was over wanting 2 ports.
    That is a bit extreme then.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    That's how you have chosen to see it.
    I am pointing out it's not a win10 thing.

And people can have opinions, doesn’t have to be a cheerleading team always. If you wanted a smaller PC great, but you said it was over wanting 2 ports.
    That is a bit extreme then.
    You didn't even read my post about small being needed.

If you see a post from me, please just pass on by, as I ain't going to ask you for permission to spend my money.

After having numerous BSOD events with my 11yo PC, then becoming encouraged by reading this thread,I swapped my SSD with Windows 10 over to a replacement PC and had exactly the same good experience. Everything worked!! Windows downloaded the new display drivers, installed everything without fuss. Brilliant. I'm a happy camper too.