Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WiFi installation

We have fibre to the house using a Fritz box 7490 router. At present there is a Cisco RE1000 range extender in the living room, maybe 6 metres from the router. I have had complaints from visiting family members that the connection to the lounge, about 4 metres from the extender is slow, so they tend to use a bedroom close to the router. The range extender is one that we were given prior to fibre.

It is impractical to run a LAN cable as the house is in two wings separated by a flat roof, it would be possible underfloor, through the basement garage, but not at my age (80+). Is the problem inherent in the range extender system, or would a new one help? If so any recommendations would be welcome.

Default Re: WiFi installation

Range extenders often dont work. Ive only seen 2 sites were they did anything usefull , and even there they were of limited use .
    Range extenders need to be at a half way point, if the extender cant get a good signal, it wont work.
    Try putting the extender somewhere in the middle of the house

You could try a wifi powerline kit . Far from perfect , but better than extenders (but dont work in some homes)
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...ne-Kit-with-N3

" I have had complaints from visiting family members"

why do your visitors so urgently need wifi ? Cant they wait till they get home. Or use the 4G data on their phone instead like a normal person , if its just to get email.
    If it was just a day visit, I'd be tempted to turn the wifi off

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    " I have had complaints from visiting family members"

why do your visitors so urgently need wifi ? Cant they wait till they get home. Or use the 4G data on their phone instead like a normal person , if its just to get email.
    If it was just a day visit, I'd be tempted to turn the wifi off
    They are grandchildren & great nephews, and can only be separated from their "devices" surgically!

Yes, extenders should be banned!

Agree with 1101's suggestion. My PL Kit works a treat.

Computer Tech

Agree as well, powerline kit is a much better solution.
    Iíve got a set to get the Internet from the garage into my office cabin and it works great.

Completely agree with the Device in 1101's link.

Couple of weeks ago, a customer asked about getting wireless out to their garage, now set up as living space, bedroom etc. They went and brought some wifi extender, still didn't reach the garage, they were told by the shop its got unlimited range ( yeah right) paid over $200, ended up taking it back . So two options, run a cable with an access point connected - Wasn't going to work as had to go across the drive and no where to run it, or those TP-link kits. I put in a kit and 100% signal Strength in the garage.

This is an additional problem to do with my wi-fi network. I have tried several times to connect our Sky decoder, which is in the lounge where the grandson et al have their problems that I originally wrote about, to the internet via wi-fi. When I start it indicates that it can find four networks:

2degrees ACF7 showing about bar about 60% of the available length,
    Stuff fibre_40_2G showing about 30%,
    another 2 degrees also ACF7 about 20%, and
    Stuff fibre_40_5G at about 5%.

On clicking on the best I am told to enter my network password I entered the 20 digit number, and am told I can't connect Am I doing something wrong, or is there not enough signal strength? If it is a signal strength problem, the system using the power lines seems to be best.

Old guy

Which network is yours? That is the only one your password will work with. For example I can detect about 6 of the neighbours WiFi networks here as well as mine and depending where I am in the place sometimes one of their signals will be stronger than mine. Of course if I had their password I could connect to their network if I wished to.

Old guy

A couple of other thoughts, things that have trapped me in the past. Be absolutely certain the password is put in the correct case. If you inadvertently put in a space that also gives problems.
    The four networks you describe are really only two. Each broadcasts on both bands. The sky decoder will most likely use the 2G band.