Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 2004

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Windows 10 2004

Same old, same old!
    I am being forced to install the latest Feature Update (2004) even though I had put a 90 day pause on it.
    I just installed the Feature Update 2 days ago using the Restart through Windows Update even though there was a 90 day pause on it.

I believe there was a new iteration of 2004 out before the last update 2 days ago
    I have now done the Feature Update several times over the last 2-3 months
    Each time the Feature Update appears to install OK but then I start having problems.

On Google Chrome I get "Sync Paused" periodically and have to re-enter my password.
    I see that other people in various forums have had the same problem
    I also periodically get asked to re-enter passwords for 2 of 3 accounts on MS Outlook 2016 (perhaps every hour or so)

I find the 2 problems very annoying and have yet to see any resolution.

After a day or so I end up by reverting to Version 1909, and the problems disappear.

A couple of times I have had problems with reverting to 1909 and have had to use an image I created using Macrium Reflect.
    I have been creating an image for some time now right before any Feature Update, even this morning, just in case, you never know.

Any ideas how to resolve the problems I am having.
    Note I had given Feedback to Microsoft through the Windows Update Page but no response

Default Re: Windows 10 2004

Is it AMD or Intel based.

We have two intel based machines that have upgraded just fine but our AMD machine hasn't had the update yet and I remember last time it got the update 3 months after the Intel ones

Its AMD, the question is why are they forcing me to do the feature update when I put a 90 day Pause on it after the continuing fiasco I have had over the last 3 months?
    I have since been able to put a Pause until 3/10/2020, We will see what happens tonight with the update at is due after 10pm.
    Hopefully it wont install.

I thought there may have been someone from Microsoft NZ on here that may have been able to offer a few clues as to why I have problems with Google Chrome and MS Outlook.
    I suspect the problem whatever it may be is a windows problem affecting both Chrome and Outlook.

What version of Windows are you using, HOME or PROFESSIONAL ??

The problems you are having is more than likely caused by system Corruption some place. If its trying to update all the time and the system / upgrade is damaged its a never a ending loop as its installing previously damaged downloads, and simply repeats.

You can try fixing the system first, by running in admin

sfc /scannow as well as

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Also rename or move/ delete the SoftwareDistribution folder ( located in the Windows folder) as that's where the downloads unpack. (must be done in safe mode or by stopping the update services).

ALSO run disk Cleanup - System Files and empty out everything.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-08-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Adding to Garys comment, from experience of upgrading hundreds of Computers , if there's a problem a HIGH percentage of the time its AMD. One laptop I have , AMD and its always having graphic Problems, oddly enough the updates are from AMD (as supplied to Microsoft).

I am running Windows 10 Professional.
    I have run sfc /scannow as well as
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and some corruption has been repaired ( I had used these commands previously on one of the attempted updates and corruption was found)
    I will do the rest during the week, need to keep the peace LOL.

I want to avoid doing a clean install if possible, I have done a clean install before on another version and it is such a hassle having to re-install all my programs..
    I use Belarc Advisor to find out what programs I had

VoidMaster

I use the portable versions of as many programs as possible on a separate partition from the operating system or even a separate HDD/SSD to avoid the reinstall problem of the many programs I have on my computer if the o/s has to be re-installed.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

I did as everything you suggested Wainuitech but am still getting the same problem with Chrome having to login again as well as 2 of my 3 MS Outlook 2016 Accounts.
    I run the 2 cmd lines sfc /scannow as well as dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth before the upgrade from 1909 to 2004. It did fix some corruption on 1909 but when I ran it on 2004 it found nothing wrong.

I also renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder after disabling the Windows Update Service under MSconfig.

Also the System Files cleanup.

I will will revert to 1909 in the morning and try redoing everything but this time also do the renaming of the SoftwareDistribution folder in Safe Mode

It just seems so strange that I have the problems with 2004 but when I go back to 1909 everything is OK again, everything is logged in OK.

Its a known bug in some systems, google have known about it since April, even before 2004 was released. Personally I don't have the problem on any Computer's and no ones called asking about it.

Google and Microsoft are currently working on a fix but it is hard to say when the fix will be available. In the meantime, you can follow the aforementioned steps to fix the problem.
    windows-10-may-2020-update-makes-google-chrome-forgetful-logs-out-everywhere/

I have now restored to Version 1909.
    Interestingly when I used the recovery option in Settings my MS Outlook 2016 became very unstable, a window was continuously flashing up, it looked about the size of the Login Screen for MS Accounts, but hard to tell as very brief.
    Also I had to login into Chrome again but not unusual.

So in the end I used Macrium Reflect to restore an Image I had created yesterday and now all appears stable again.
    I did have to delete the 3 files in the App Data/ Local directory for my 3 email accounts as per usual but everything updated ok.

So now I am going to leave as is for as long as possible, the last date will be 8th October.