Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trademe purchases

I tried to buy an item from Trademe. Logged in fine.

But when it comes to the final payment part, it says that I need to be an authenticated member and need to top up at least $10. first.

What's this about?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trademe.PNG 
Views:	39 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	10482

Not going to top up $10 to buy an item under $10.

I was using my Credit Card to make the payment!

Default Re: Trademe purchases

If it is a new account it's a rule, always has been.
    Because some scammers do that, set up a new account and do dodgy stuff. Either you have to stick with just bidding until you have so many trades, and feedback or suck it up and do it.
    The $10 becomes credit, so you can use it when you sell stuff, for your fees.....

See also:

https://help.trademe.co.nz/hc/en-us/...g-your-account

Or, it's a glitch if your account isn't new...did you use Ping?
    Ex-pctek

It's not a new account. I joined them more than 10 years ago but never used it.

Anyway, don't think I will ever buy anything from them. Just tooooooo troublesome.

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post

Anyway, don't think I will ever buy anything from them. Just tooooooo troublesome.
    The reason is to protect you from numbnutz traders be the best $10 you have ever spent and you get it back.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post

Not at all.
    They have improved things a lot, Ping, afterpay and such, but you as the seller (or buyer) are protected using your card. Well you are anyway, but they also ensure you are not out of pocket if any dodginess....far better than when it was just direct credit.
    Ex-pctek

It says you can either purchase this item with credit card, or become authenticated
    So purchase with credit card ?

And yes, trademe p&ss off alot of people with their rules ,
    then dont apply their own rules when you make a complaint.
    Make a complaint about pirated software, often nothing happens . Complain when a big volume seller floods categories with unrelated goods , nothing happens but if you list in the wrong
    category you get an official warning over a single item (as happened to me)

They seem to favor sellers who make them a alot of money rather than the average person .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    And yes, trademe p&ss off alot of people with their rules ,
    then dont apply their own rules when you make a complaint.

I've never had a problem with a bad trade or dodgy listing complaint, always followed up and sorted.
    As I said, it's a lot better than it was.
    Ex-pctek

Ive actually reported a seller listing pirated software (reported them more than once), one of those CD's with multiple different products (and cracks)
    The seller new damn well its pirated, as he's in the industry & knows how much the real versions cost (its not $20)

Trademe to seller : is that pirated. Seller : nope. Trade: Ok , all good then . Not a joke, thats what happened .

The NZ distributor for one of those software brands told me he's long given up trying to get Trademe to remove listings for pirated versions of his software .
    Last edited by 1101; 21-08-2020 at 02:09 PM.

I'm tempted to ask Fair Go to get involved, but just can't be bothered with the time and effort to get some redress for a relatively small sum.. About three years ago I sold an item on Trade Me ... they kept their success fee (around $27 if I recall right).

The item was subsequently "mislaid" by the courier company, and I refunded the purchase price in full out of my pocket to the buyer... the item was purchased as a Christmas present and the buyer wasn't able to buy a replacement in time for their kid's anticipated stocking opening on Christmas day.

Fortunately I had insured the item against theft, the Courier company finally admitted the item had been "mislaid" (aka stolen) and paid me out two months later. But it was Trade Me who pocketed the success fee of $27, and who would only give me a credit against future auctions.

No matter they had pocketed cold hard cash, I was only going to get a credit against any future auction. So my credit still sits there, I'm not sure I'll ever use it - or want to use it with an outfit like that. In the meantime, the only profiteers in this debacle have been the thief, the recipient of an on sale at probable mate's rate, and Trade Me.

Last edited by WalOne; 21-08-2020 at 03:08 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

[QUOTE=WalOne;1300382

Fortunately I had insured the item against theft, the Courier company finally admitted the item had been "mislaid" (aka stolen) and paid me out two months later. But it was Trade Me who pocketed the success fee of $27, and who would only give me a credit against future auctions.

[/QUOTE]

Surely if you were reimbursed by the courier company, you would have also claimed the fees paid to Trademe from the courier company as the total amount of loss? If you were given a credit, then you should have ended up ahead (even if you don't use the credit).

I have had dealings with Trademe over deals which have gone sour but always been dealt with in a fair way.