Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LED bulbs: placement?

Quite recently (approx. 1 to 2 months ago) I installed an LED in a closed 200mm diameter glass fitting. It has just failed, as it is flickering with a low light output. I have checked the bulb in an ordinary fitting and it still flickers. I have tried a new bulb to replace the dud one, and it works OK at present.

Is there any restriction on placing these bulbs in enclosed fittings?

Default Re: LED bulbs: placement?

Nothing to do with it, we have an open light fitting and 2 of the 3 bulbs have failed, they were from Mitre10. The cheapie ones I got online though in rest of house are still going strong. So much for Mitre10 ones....
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by Brucem View Post
    Quite recently (approx. 1 to 2 months ago) I installed an LED in a closed 200mm diameter glass fitting. It has just failed, as it is flickering with a low light output. I have checked the bulb in an ordinary fitting and it still flickers. I have tried a new bulb to replace the dud one, and it works OK at present.

Is there any restriction on placing these bulbs in enclosed fittings?
    led do not like heat. while they produce very little heat, if they over heat they will fail. they often have a small circuit board in the base of the bulb and those electronics can overheat and die.
    with the plug in type you need to ensure there is some air flow over it. i would not put one in a sealed glass fitting.

a whole fitting with built in led is a bit different as they often have a heat sink to the outside.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    led do not like heat. while they produce very little heat, if they over heat they will fail. they often have a small circuit board in the base of the bulb and those electronics can overheat and die.
    with the plug in type you need to ensure there is some air flow over it. i would not put one in a sealed glass fitting.

a whole fitting with built in led is a bit different as they often have a heat sink to the outside.
    Correct that LEDs don't like too much heat, but the circuitry they contain can get quite hot, hence the advice against mounting them in enclosed fittings.

The LEds in my keyboard are happy, the ones in the case fans are happy and also the ones in my solar garden lights, covered by a round glass thing....
    Ex-pctek

The factories spit them out as fast as possible , made as cheaply as possible .
    So they will occasional fail for no reason.

Just as the old school incandescent bulbs could last anywhere from 6 months to 60 years .

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    The LEds in my keyboard are happy, the ones in the case fans are happy and also the ones in my solar garden lights, covered by a round glass thing....
    but they are very low wattage led's and usually do not have any driving circuits.
    typical house ones are a lot higher wattage and have driving circuits. plus the bulb type have it all squished into one little package which is prone to getting hot due to lack of heatsink.
    led downlights usually have good sized heat sinks and/or separate drivers. a lot more robust than the bulb type.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    but they are very low wattage led's and usually do not have any driving circuits.
    Oh.

Well they're pretty tough, the outdoor ones anyway, they get wet, they get cold, they get hot, and keep on going....
    Ex-pctek

If a household LED is driven from 230V AC it those electronic components that achieve that dramatic voltage drop, not to mention conversion of AC to DC, that can die if overheated. So much different from low voltage LED lights.

I have also given up on the cheap Orbit LED bulbs from M10 and switched to Phillips.