Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Jungle Bhoy
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    364

    Unhappy Reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit

    Hi

    I have an old Sony VAIO laptop (VPCF137) which was running very slowly - up to 15 minutes to start up completely. I ran a System Recovery from the recovery partition, resetting the laptop to factory. This means I now have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, but it seems I cannot update the laptop at all. Windows Update does not work - not surprising with Windows 7 no longer supported, and I cannot find Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 64 bit anywhere. I can download software (Microsoft Edge for example) but when I then try to run the install program I get a message that the program cannot find an internet connection (the same internet connection that was used to download the install program!). I'm guessing most of my problems are related to outdated drivers from the initial installation.

    Am I wasting my time or is there a way I can get Win 7 running again? I realise I can throw Linux on the laptop (and I may set up dual-boot at some stage) but I can't believe that Microsoft would basically pull the plug on people starting again. Other than the slowness, the laptop was still fully functional before the recovery, and in fact was prompting me to install Windows Updates just last week.

    Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited by Miami Steve; 11-08-2020 at 10:15 AM.

  2. #2
    amateur expert dugimodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7,992

    Default Re: Reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit

    Does it have a windows key on the bottom or under the battery? if so you could use it to do a clean windows 10 install.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

  3. #3
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    27,696

    Default Re: Reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit

    What you can do is download the W7 ISO and try a repair install over the top of the current, that will have SP1 included. The W7 ISO can still be downloaded from MS like Dugimodo suggested BUT it has to be a retail key, the Sticker on the bottom wont work thats OEM.

    You can still get the legit ISO from MS via a third Party Tool https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool (just tried it and downloaded fine) Select The Windows 7 August Option.

    Not to sure if they will accept OEM Keys, I'll give it a go soon and let you know,

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W7 August.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	10469

    Its a catch 22 with the updates, W7 no SP wont update due to the update module being to old, so it needs updates in to allow the rest, BUT it goes around in circles as it cant update because of its age.

    BUT like everything do a complete System Image BEFORE to try it, just in case it turns to custard.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-08-2020 at 11:38 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member paulw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auckland / Tauranga
    Posts
    4,042

    Default Re: Reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit

    From memory you can't upgrade an installation of Win 7 ultimate to Win 10 . I have this on my old Win 7 ultimate partition and I had to do a new install on a new partition. Still use the Win 7 partition for video editing but that's about it these days.
    Regards,

    Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

  5. #5
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    27,696

    Default Re: Reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    From memory you can't upgrade an installation of Win 7 ultimate to Win 10 . I have this on my old Win 7 ultimate partition and I had to do a new install on a new partition. Still use the Win 7 partition for video editing but that's about it these days.
    Not to Sure about Ultimate upgrade, but when using a W7 Ultimate Key it installs W10 Professional.

    Just located the following Chart -- BUT on saying upgrades, its better to do a complete install from fresh that way you dont copy over any crap from previous Install.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows 10 Upgrades.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	10470

    You can disable W10 background usage and it will run on lower spec systems, did a home the other week, celeron with 2GB Memory - not exactly quick but it worked.

  6. #6
    Senior Member 1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,798

    Default Re: Reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Miami Steve View Post
    Hi

    and I cannot find Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 64 bit anywhere.
    download here
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...spx?q=KB976932
    Server 2008 & Win7 SP1 is the same thing

    to get updates working, if SP1 doesnt fix it
    make sure IE is ver11 ,
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/...rver-2008-r2-s
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...server-2008-r2
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=51212

  7. #7
    Jungle Bhoy
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    364

    Default Re: Reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Does it have a windows key on the bottom or under the battery? if so you could use it to do a clean windows 10 install.
    Yes - it has an OEM product key on the bottom. I did try Win 10 when the free upgrade offer was available but there were too many issues - don't know if Sony has improved Win 10 driver support since then.

  8. #8
    Jungle Bhoy
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    364

    Default Re: Reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    What you can do is download the W7 ISO and try a repair install over the top of the current, that will have SP1 included. The W7 ISO can still be downloaded from MS like Dugimodo suggested BUT it has to be a retail key, the Sticker on the bottom wont work thats OEM.

    You can still get the legit ISO from MS via a third Party Tool https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool (just tried it and downloaded fine) Select The Windows 7 August Option.

    Not to sure if they will accept OEM Keys, I'll give it a go soon and let you know,

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W7 August.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	10469

    Its a catch 22 with the updates, W7 no SP wont update due to the update module being to old, so it needs updates in to allow the rest, BUT it goes around in circles as it cant update because of its age.

    BUT like everything do a complete System Image BEFORE to try it, just in case it turns to custard.
    Downloaded the tool on the Win 7 machine but it won't run.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	10471

    Have now downloaded on another laptop and seems to be downloading the ISO OK. Will try to install when done.

  9. #9
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    27,696

    Default Re: Reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Miami Steve View Post
    Downloaded the tool on the Win 7 machine but it won't run.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	10471

    Have now downloaded on another laptop and seems to be downloading the ISO OK. Will try to install when done.
    From Post #3 -- Tried a install of W7Home from that program, the only Ultimates I have are retail. The Home is OEM and went in straight away.

    Keep in mind, W7 is nowhere as good as automatically installing or downloading Drivers as W10, so you'll need the actual Drivers either from (possibly a hidden folder) on the C Drive or download from Sony

  10. #10
    Jungle Bhoy
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    364

    Default Re: Reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Downloaded the service pack from the first link above - installed and now working through all the subsequent updates. Looks like it's all good now. I had been on that page yesterday but didn't realise that I needed the Windows Server 2008 R2 download, so thanks for pointing that out.

Similar Threads

  1. Windows 7 Ultimate will not install
    By mzee in forum PressF1
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 08:31 PM
  2. Windows 7 Ultimate: is this normal?
    By braindead in forum PressF1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-06-2014, 04:14 PM
  3. Windows 7 Ultimate not using all RAM?
    By ZacDaMan72 in forum PressF1
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 02:21 PM
  4. windows 7 ultimate
    By teboy in forum PressF1
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-08-2012, 11:06 AM
  5. Windows 7 Ultimate won't load
    By dpDesignz in forum PressF1
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •