Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Rubbish plumbing!

We've had to replace our bathroom vanity and associated plumbing because of a leak in the rubbish plumbing they used many years ago.

I would like to put a drain hole in the bathroom floor in case the new plumbing leaks in future. Such a floor drain (I think it's called a floor waste gully?) is apparently compulsory in Australia. But I'm told it's not done in NZ. Why is that?

Default Re: Rubbish plumbing!

probably just cost.
    just like overflows on basins and baths.

i looked for them years ago but had trouble finding them.
    you can't use a standard trap as that relies on water. need to have a dry type that has a seal.
    Tweak it till it breaks

You'd need to convert it to wet floor and have it slope. Silly idea. Just ensure the current vanity is not leaking........husband doesn't much like plumbers tape he used to always use hemp instead.

Check it now and then.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    You'd need to convert it to wet floor and have it slope. Silly idea. Just ensure the current vanity is not leaking........husband doesn't much like plumbers tape he used to always use hemp instead.

Check it now and then.
    no need for that.
    dry trap floor drain is common overseas, just a little difficult to get here.
    its not just vanity leaks, usually someone leaves a tap running and over flows the basin/bath. that destroys weatbix board flooring fast.
    so its not a silly idea to have one.
    likewise with overflows on basins and baths.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    usually someone leaves a tap running and over flows the basin/bath. that destroys weatbix board flooring fast.
    I had particle board...and you still need to have the slope on the floor to drain it properly, it's not just a matter of a drain randomly in floor.
    Ex-pctek

I had particle board...and you still need to have the slope on the floor to drain it properly, it's not just a matter of a drain randomly in floor.
    yes/no. its best practise to slope the floor which is easy enough if renovating. the amount of slope is small. but even if its level it will still drain the bulk which saves the rest of the house. plus its easy to sweep/mop the rest to the drain.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    yes/no. its best practise to slope the floor which is easy enough if renovating. the amount of slope is small. but even if its level it will still drain the bulk which saves the rest of the house. plus its easy to sweep/mop the rest to the drain.
    Look up the building code.
    We had this in our original bathroom here, it was required. It's now changed. No floor drain and flooring people (and builders) had to pull out all the packing to remove the slope.

And I had a leak in my house before we moved. I can tell you, without a slope it does NOT drain away at all and yes it did stuff the particle board. Not to the point we had to replace it, we did have to redo the floor though. It trashed the vinyl tiles, on other side of wall, cracked 2 real tiles and warped the door, because of the swelling. And I saw it fairly quick, it drains down the cracks, unless you have solid lino, and the floor soaks it up so you don't even see puddles.
    Ex-pctek

My former workplace had toilet facilities meant to service a whole bunch of businesses. The drain on the floor must have been a wet type, and connected to the sewer pipes, because in the summer months the water in the trap would evaporate and the room would absolutely reek from the odours coming up through the trap. Kinda reflects on how little the floor there ever got washed... not even enough to wet the trap. The filth on the door handles would turn your stomach. The cleaners never saw the filth, coz the first thing they would do was jamb the door wide open so they could work, and the grubby handle was hidden against the wall.

Look up the building code.
    We had this in our original bathroom here, it was required. It's now changed. No floor drain and flooring people (and builders) had to pull out all the packing to remove the slope.

And I had a leak in my house before we moved. I can tell you, without a slope it does NOT drain away at all and yes it did stuff the particle board. Not to the point we had to replace it, we did have to redo the floor though. It trashed the vinyl tiles, on other side of wall, cracked 2 real tiles and warped the door, because of the swelling. And I saw it fairly quick, it drains down the cracks, unless you have solid lino, and the floor soaks it up so you don't even see puddles.
    building code doesn't mean you can't put one in.

if water is an inch high and the floor is level, its going drain, just not all of it. its not meant to be a wet floor, just a drain for a bit of spillage or enough to stop it flooding the rest of the house.
    the floor should have minor water proof (not wet floor grade) to survive some spillage etc, but its never designed to survive a flood unless you use more durable materials. it shouldn't have cracks in the floor.
    often see issues with tiles because people tend to thing tiles are water proof, but they are not. the water proof layers needs to be under them.

i think i have my bathroom repair thread on here somewhere.
    https://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showth...e-flooring-q-s
    Last edited by tweak'e; 12-08-2020 at 05:50 PM.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Not particle board, yours...
    Ours has a piece of that board now, where the hole was. And floorboards on the rest, under the lino.

My house in Akld though, had particle board. God knows why they allowed the stuff anywhere near wet areas.
    Madness.
    Ex-pctek