Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft 365

Not so junior

Default Microsoft 365

Hi all, my son has invited me to subscribe to his 365 Family subscription. I am currently running Office 2010 and as its getting closer to when that version will no longer be supported, I am considering if I should take him up on his offer. I have some questions relating to that. I understand my present version will still be able to be used, although on line help and updates will no longer be available.

1. Is this the case, as I rarely use online help for much, mainly for Excel formulas?

2. I have had some confusing advise from well meaning people on if I should uninstall my current version, or will this take place during the install of 365?

3. Is the install of 365 easily done, or should I leave it to my usual tech person?

Any advice will be welcome.

Rny.
    I know what I know, I don't know what I don't know.

Older by the minute

Default Re: Microsoft 365

I still very happily run 2007. It does all I need it to and can't see any point of upgrading even though it is no longer supported.

You don't need a new version.
    The old one doesn't self destruct, it continues to work happily.....
    Ex-pctek

Not so junior

Cheers, I forgot to add that Publisher would be handy to have as I make up certificates for my sports club, which can be a bit of a chore using Word. Still have some time to decide, its free to me as son will maintain the subscription. Main issue for me would be how easy to do myself, and would it overwrite the 2010 version.

Rny

Office 2010 will keep working

but
    Office 2010 will no longer get any security updates (soon) , so any bugs or security issues wont be fixed
    Outlook 2010 will soon no longer work with MS based email services (365 email, outlook.com, hotmail )
    There may(will) be a time when Outlook 2010 also doesnt work with many other email providers

Its allways better to uninstall the old version of Office before installing a new version , for many reasons . You dont have to , its just better to
    If you have 2 versions of office installed, only 1 version of Outlook will work (the newer one)
    If you later uninstall 365 , leaving 2010 , you can have a mess that needs to be fixed (usually a 2010 reinstall will fix it )

You could also allways use the online version of Publisher365, word365 etc , it you decide not to install it.

Take up his offer of joining his Office 365 sub. He may have to come and do it for you..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

As the others have mentioned, would pay to uninstall Office 2010 as hey can sometimes cause problems.

1st thing -- IF using POP locate the pst file and make a copy of it. ( just in case)

Installing Office 365 is almost idiot proof.

Your son should have sent you a link, easiest way is via email, you can go online and use web mail to download the exe file or download it before uninstalling 2010.

Once you have the exe file its about 5MB, simply double click it, allow from the User Account popup -go make a cuppa as it can take several minutes to fully download, Once installed hit close button.

Go to Start / The new programs will be at the top of the list. Open any ( I use either word or excel) It then gives you the option to sign in with your own MS account or use another, do so, When the next few windows open READ WHAT THEY ASK Theres one that asks to use the account on all of your computer OR on left in small blue writing "Microsoft Apps Only" ( I always use that one) You agree to the Licence agreement - and away you go.

When opening outlook If you previously used it and had a pst file it should pick it up, if using the imap then sit back as as it syncs - This can take a while if you have a lot of email.

If unsure about email setup & migration

Just install Office 365 over the top of 2010 .
    It will keep all your old email server settings and all your old & existing email, archives etc
    ie The new Outlook will just work with all the old settings & mail (usually)

Then uninstall the old Office

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    If unsure about email setup & migration

Just install Office 365 over the top of 2010 .
    It will keep all your old email server settings and all your old & existing email, archives etc
    ie The new Outlook will just work with all the old settings & mail (usually)

Then uninstall the old Office
    When I installed O365 for the first time back in 2016 it installed alongside O 2010 so both were working. Removed O 2010 after about a month.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Not so junior

Thanks for all the replies folks, your comments have helped me decide the way forward. I have been sent the link, but it had a limited time to activate. He is going to re-send it, and I will more than likely leave it to my usual tech people to do the installation. I am always a bit wary of that sort of thing, (advancing years and receding skill levels etc). Hence the reason for my original question.

Rny