Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Crash Drama

Default Car Crash Drama

At sons in Metcalfe Rd yesterday, 1:45am to be specific, an over 60 yr old drunk in a late model Dodge crashed taking out 2 power poles, a number of council rubbish wheelie bins and a fence.
    Power off all over.

Took till 8pm for sons to come back. Then him in front (crosslease) got told the wires ripped off his house was his problem, ring an electrician. Would have been helpful if they had told him that earlier on...

Then son had power for 30 minutes and the guys came down again and said sorry it's burnt power meter, dangerous and it was off again.
    Your problem they said.

Son was quite stressed, got the after hrs call centre for power co...but they were great. Power co repair guys came out at 11:30pm and put in a new one....they did say it can take days as sometimes they need to order one.

The bill the driver will have will be rather exciting....as near as I can find it's about $8500 each for a pole...plus all the other damage, plus his car!!
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: Car Crash Drama

nah...he'll have "mental health issues" which means any consequences will be avoided.

LOl, no he won't, he was drunk.
    He might not get much for his fine and stuff, but he'll still have the bill and no insurance on his car.
    Ex-pctek

they typically will drip feed money fro a while, then stop. insurance co will chase them a bit and then he will drip feed a few dollars then stop, rinse repeat.
    they will drag it out for decades in the hope they give up and write the debt off.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Aren't you glad you live in Napier

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Aren't you glad you live in Napier

Ken
    Sure.
    Yesterday the neighbour girl came and asked if we'd keep watch for any one turning up...after she was attacked by some gang group from hastings.
    Yes has bruises all down her arms, cuts all over, a large rock was used among other things.

And the burnouts every night up the roads round here........the crash we had into power pole, power out all day.
    The one in the school a few houses away, crashed, then drove through the school (while school was in progress) with cops after them, and out the other side, crashing through another fence.

Then the second one a same school.

The one into parked car a few houses away...and so on.

I hate the place.
    Ex-pctek

There is 2 things I do like.

No humidity here.
    Not so much traffic.

But that's it. It's so expensive here, houses (other than Maraenui), power, rates (although not as bad as most places except Auckland), tradies, and most of all - food.
    I get prescriptions sent down (free post), order meat online and sent down, etc.

Even if I was to have bought my car here it would have been another $3000 - $4000 for the same model, year and mileages.

Lack of competition I guess.
    Miss the op shops up there too, they're huge and have heaps of cool stuff. Not here.
    Ex-pctek

Drunk or medical event!!. Had one of those in ChCh recently.

lurking.

And now he found the bath is dead. It's a spa bath...insurance policy says electrical damage to motors over 5 yr - no cover.
    Awesome. (sarcasm)
    Chasing the driver for it is unlikely to work, he'll never pay off the first bills..........
    Ex-pctek

VoidMaster

Hmmm electric motors are normally quite robust, probably the speed controls rather than the motors themselves.

I always switch whatever I can off at the wall switch whenever I am not using the device, or when I go out, to avoid just such a happening as this and also lightning strikes. ie tv's, modem's, stoves, radios, washing machines (and turn off taps at wall), not clocks and fridge's of course.

Bit of a fag (a tiring or unwelcome task) but pays off in the long run.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche