Default MS Outlook Queries MSoft 365 (Family)

I logged the following posts on MS Community. I groaned when i got a reply frpm Palcouk -historically his replies to members (not just me ) are trite.

I am a security conscious person so have always preferred to have to use a password to log on to Outlook.
    I am using pop for inwards mail coming via gmail.

My issues are below and Palcouk's response. -I do not think he read what I asked in Part 2 about Archive Folders.

I should welcome guidance from PCWorld Forum members

"" Further to my post of the other day I eventually got my Outlook Send Receive emails working again.
    Originally I had to use a password to log on to Outlook yet when I tried to send or receive emails I kept getting asked for a password
    Now my Microsoft 365 (Family -but I am an individual) Outlook is working again it does not require a password to logon. I have read all the Help screens -Manage Account Settings Update password etc but cannot find a method to reinstate a Password to log on to Outlook,.
    Following all the notes about settings etc my Profile still just comes up with Outlook and seemingly no tab to effect any change.
    I have tried under Update password/Change password:
    Enter Password -the first tab then the the 2 tabs for entering New password.
    Under the first Tab I have tried my old Outlook password, my new Gmail password (I had to change that as part of the original "fix" process. I also tried the "new Outlook password.
    None Works
    Under data Settings my 3 Outlook accounts show -Personal, Archived and an alternate account they all look normal.
    I still get Error messages trying to create a logon password for Outlook.
    Help Please

b) My Archived File is rather large. I have been told I can create a second Archive pst file.
    I can create a New Folder but it seems I can only position it as a sub folder under Personal or Archived which would totally defeat the objective.
    How Can I create a new Archived Folder NOT dependant on the existing Major Folders :
    Personal , Archived and Casual.? ""
    Neil

Palcouk's reply

Palcouk
    Volunteer Moderator
    Replied on July 23, 2020
    "" Are you using pop mail?
    b) And using the Outlook Archive options? If so create a new Archive, named as required, and set the folders to Archive in the dialogue.
    Password) There is the mail account password, and that is set by your mail provider, and you access their web access settings to change the password. Then if using a pop mail account and its *.pst data file you can password protect the data file.
    However you mention Gmail, usually the default setting when adding that account to MS Outlook, using auto setup is to set that mail account as IMAP, in which case the data seen in MS Outlook is simply a cached copy of what is in the Gmail server.
    As per your previous post, I have had no problems after the 365 update or win update, with any of my mail accounts, on various PC's""

Neil's note - the last sentence may be true for him but otherwise rubbish because other forum members said they had the same problem after the update.

Default Re: MS Outlook Queries MSoft 365 (Family)

The Question asked "Are you using pop mail" is very Specific. That needs to answered first.

Easiest way if you dont know --- Open Outlook - File Account Settings - Account Settings Select your account, down the bottom it will show the details as well if its OST.

Also When you start up the computer do you use a email address or Password to sign in. If you use a password is it the same as your Email Password ?
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Hi Wainui
    a) yes I am using pop mail -mentioned in prior post to him.
    b) I use a password to start up the computer. It is and always has been different from my email password. FYI I change the PC Start up password periodically -say once a year approx.

Any ideas re the Archive feature.? Ref his comment re using IMAP other MS Community members have stated in different posts over the years how that has caused them certain issues so they reverted to POP. What always surprises me is why a methodology that has worked for several years suddenly stops working. I am aware of prior posts when there have been "your fault not ours" disputes between MSoft and Gmail

I had a similar problem after updating to Windows 10 2004 where 2 of my 3 MS Outlook 2016 accounts kept asking for a password when starting MS Outlook and then every 20 or 30 minutes or so.
    I also had "Sync Paused" in Google Chrome. I had to login to Chrome to clear the issue, but that would only seem to last until I needed to login to Chrome the next time after say 1 hour or so, the times seem to vary.
    The only way I overcame the whole issue was to revert Windows to 1909.
    It seems Microsoft are aware of issues with Chrome and also Outlook, I have since been blocked from getting the 2004 Feature Update, I have also put a hold for 90 days on any future Feature Updates, give them time to fix.

As for Archive, why cant you just expand Archive in the Navigation Pane (on the left) and expand.
    Then Right Click on the "Inbox" and select 'Properties"
    In the opened window select the "AutoArchive" tab and the select Archive this Folder using these settings"
    Set "Clean out items older than" (say 24 months, your choice)
    Select "Move old items to" and Browse to where you want to put the Files and call the new file say "Permanent Archive" (your choice) instead of the Archive.pst already showing thenapply and OK

Do the same with the "Sent" emails

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    Hi Wainui
    a) yes I am using pop mail -mentioned in prior post to him.
    b) I use a password to start up the computer. It is and always has been different from my email password. FYI I change the PC Start up password periodically -say once a year approx.

Any ideas re the Archive feature.? Ref his comment re using IMAP other MS Community members have stated in different posts over the years how that has caused them certain issues so they reverted to POP. What always surprises me is why a methodology that has worked for several years suddenly stops working. I am aware of prior posts when there have been "your fault not ours" disputes between MSoft and Gmail
    In Outlook you can create a new PST file by clicking on New Items (next to New E-mail) > More Items > Outlook Data File. It'll show up separately to your other accounts and is stored independently of them.

Not sure if this is of use to you but you can also password protect your PST files- File > Account Settings > Account Settings > Data Files Tab > Choose a data file > Settings > Change Password. Outlook will require you to type in the password on startup (so it can open the PST) and if you import the PST to another machine.

I am a security conscious person so have always preferred to have to use a password to log on to Outlook.
    I am using pop for inwards mail coming via gmail.
    Now my Microsoft 365 (Family -but I am an individual) Outlook is working again it does not require a password to logon.

Originally I had to use a password to log on to Outlook yet when I tried to send or receive emails I kept getting asked for a password

Seems clear to me...you use pop. You have a gmail account.
    You like to not save the password, but login in each time. So do I.

Sounds like it had the option to Remember (or save) the password. Then it didn't like the one you used....or, there was some issue with the settings.. Thunderbird does that if you log in from more than 1 device, say phone and PC...there an extra coule of things Gmail requires you to do or Thunderbird just keeps whinging, wrong password at you.

Same issue??? Not sure.
    Or some weird thing the Windows update did...can't help you with that, as I don't use outlook or windows.
    Ex-pctek

password protect outlook (on startup)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/...b-9619d1b9f0b6

Create a new archive file
    You create a new DATA file
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-4c84c2aabe7c

If you create a new archive file , you need to rename the old archive file , otherwise Outlook's autoarchive will keep using it
    You will need to rename the old archive file in file explorer , NOT via Outlook