Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Default Re: Charging expats for quarantine

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    Comment (22) best so far!!.

As the city with the most deaths to this virus, I'm still awaiting the investigation outcome of how this f**king thing got into that village. Rosewood Village is just up the road from us!.

lurking.
    probably similar to what happened to the others.

a nurse flew in, ignored the self quarantine and went straight to work at the old folks home.
    another was an aussie who flew in to visit granddad and was tested positive on here return to aussie.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Keep to population terrified and you can get them to do whatever you like all the while pretending to be kind and caring.
    I think that's the biggest kicker of seeing people react to this- they could easily limit the incoming numbers in other ways as they have by limiting flight bookings,etc. It's a cash grab from vulnerable people, plain and simple.

I wouldn't be shocked at Australia or even the US doing something like this. I am shocked that NZ would consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    I understand the situation perfectly tweak'e, not sure who designated you covid know it all but I've told you a multiple times that I support forced quarantine. Just not forcing the people who are being quarantined to pay for it.

Including the person coming in, yes, who after they're in, will be paying back in to the system like normal.

If the government can't get their **** together and organize around it it doesn't mean that they go for a cash grab like this. Making it difficult for people to return home on purpose on top of all the difficulty that is already in place is a disgusting move. A right is a right for a reason, it's something that's supposed to be undeniable to you. That's the end of it.

I don't think there's any way that we'll agree so it might be better just to agree to disagree.

well good, then you can stop with this "quarantine at home" nonsense.

"paying back into the system" is somewhat doubtful.
    one of the big reasons for returning is welfare. also there are many who came in simply to shelter from covid and have a year long vacation in their 2nd home.

should people come back if they have no need to come back?
    especially when it delays other people who have to come back.

the other issue is long term, everyone coming in will be paying. thats going to happen at some point. we are not going to have kiwis go abroad and have tax payers pay for their quarantine on their return (which is happening at the moment).
    or are you planning stopping kiwis leaving nz ?
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    well good, then you can stop with this "quarantine at home" nonsense.
    Have you even read what I've been replying to you?

You're not listening- I have no problem with banning quarantining at home. The only reason why I suggested it is because the government is suggesting that people should be forced to pay for a bloody hotel stay that is essentially a make shift holding zone. If people aren't being forced to pay for it then go ahead and do what you have to do, but if you're suggesting asking citizens to pony up for a forced stay in a hotel then that's wrong and staying at home should be an option. I.e. if quarantining people at home isn't an option and you want to force them to stay in a hotel, they shouldn't have to pay for it.
    I don't have an issue with any of that except for the pay the fee part. To be honest, I would happily pay the fee if it were voluntarily, but this is in principle.
    The only reason I support quarantining at home is because the government wants to force people to pay for a random 3 4 or 5 star stay at a hotel to manage infections. I’m not saying it’s wrong not to allow at home quarantine, I’m saying that if you force people to pay out to stay locked in a hotel room for a few weeks that’s when they should be allowed to stay at home if they can make the proper arrangements. Or at least allow them to stay somewhere cheaper.

It’s simple. If you want the best quarantining system, don’t force people who are back out of no fault of their own to pay for it. They have every right to come home and shouldn’t be slapped with what is effectively a $3000 entry fee or go to prison.
    "paying back into the system" is somewhat doubtful.
    one of the big reasons for returning is welfare. also there are many who came in simply to shelter from covid and have a year long vacation in their 2nd home.

should people come back if they have no need to come back?
    especially when it delays other people who have to come back.

the other issue is long term, everyone coming in will be paying. thats going to happen at some point. we are not going to have kiwis go abroad and have tax payers pay for their quarantine on their return (which is happening at the moment).
    or are you planning stopping kiwis leaving nz ?
    Paying back into the system is somewhat doubtful? Any benefit people go on means they have to be actively searching for work, if they go on any benefit at all. Coming in to the country means they're paying tax on every single purchase. If they're not working they're bringing in outside money.

People's reasoning for coming back doesn't matter, a right is a right period. Thinking about putting a financial barrier like this in front of that right is the only issue here. The government have proven that they can limit people coming in over the past few weeks by holding up flights, which makes it nothing short of a cash grab.

And no, I just disagree with the last part, forcing people to pay for it, which was the entire question of this thread. I still hold out hope that it won't happen and people will come to their senses.

And no, I just disagree with the last part, forcing people to pay for it
    80 million-odd so far, and it'll just keep growing. You're obviously happy for me to keep paying for this.

You're sounding like someone who's gone through life supported by the taxpayer, quoting your 'rights' to all and sundry to ensure the gravy train never leaves without you in a prime seat.

Paying back into the system is somewhat doubtful? Any benefit people go on means they have to be actively searching for work, if they go on any benefit at all. Coming in to the country means they're paying tax on every single purchase. If they're not working they're bringing in outside money.

People's reasoning for coming back doesn't matter, a right is a right period. Thinking about putting a financial barrier like this in front of that right is the only issue here. The government have proven that they can limit people coming in over the past few weeks by holding up flights, which makes it nothing short of a cash grab.

And no, I just disagree with the last part, forcing people to pay for it, which was the entire question of this thread. I still hold out hope that it won't happen and people will come to their senses.
    currently the no1 reason for people coming back is they have no job overseas and no welfare. which also means they are not bringing in outside money, because they have none.
    searching for work is no barrier for welfare. hopefully some of them will find work, but they are competing with all those that have lost their jobs here.

"a right is a right period." i think that says it all. the "me me me me" generation vers the "take one for the team" generation.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    80 million-odd so far, and it'll just keep growing. You're obviously happy for me to keep paying for this.

You're sounding like someone who's gone through life supported by the taxpayer, quoting your 'rights' to all and sundry to ensure the gravy train never leaves without you in a prime seat.
    You'd be wrong- Even being out of NZ I still pay tax on about $60k USD of income that comes out of NZ every year.

Gotta love how quick you can be to jump to assumptions like this. I went through life supported by my single mother who worked her ass off encouraged me to go hard at life, and I did. Go screw yourself. Leaving and returning to NZ isn't a crime. That doesn't mean I have to be cruel when a lot of people are at the lowest points of their lives.

currently the no1 reason for people coming back is they have no job overseas and no welfare. which also means they are not bringing in outside money, because they have none.
    searching for work is no barrier for welfare. hopefully some of them will find work, but they are competing with all those that have lost their jobs here.

"a right is a right period." i think that says it all. the "me me me me" generation vers the "take one for the team" generation.
    This is a statistic? Or are you just pulling it from thin air again?

I hope that if you ever reach a low point (if you haven't already) in your life that someone is not so cruel to you either.

Gotta love how quick you can be to jump to assumptions like this.
    Nothing quick about it - it took some consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post

Its the NZ way . Im not paying, make the govt pay (you and me)
    So they come back , then will leave in a year or so, leaving us with the bill .

That expense is 100% people arriving from overseas. They obviously should be the ones paying for this. They are the ones bringing the risk of Covid .
    Its not as if we are asking a lot. $3K is less than many student loans , its less than what many paid for their holiday .
    And that money should be paid before they are allowed to leave again, as many will do in a year or so. The trip back to NZ will be temporary for many of them.